Post disappeared?

Hello,

I added a (lengthy and detailed!) post to a topic on the inmotion forum an hour or two ago, and since I'm a new member it was pending moderation - fair enough! But er, now it's gone, and I can't see it in the awaiting-moderation state anymore. Is that normal for this forum software, or was it just deleted?

I'd PM one of the moderators but again, since my account is new I can't send any PMs, so I guess I'll have to post here! Sorry about the noise.

Thanks!

I am having the same issue - new user who can't send PM's to local members.  I didn't find the forum rule that determines when the trigger takes place to allow us to message more than 0 times per day, but am hoping that that ability comes soon!

12 hours ago, suicidebike said:

I added a (lengthy and detailed!) post to a topic on the inmotion forum an hour or two ago, and since I'm a new member it was pending moderation - fair enough! But er, now it's gone, and I can't see it in the awaiting-moderation state anymore. Is that normal for this forum software, or was it just deleted?

It’s hidden, not deleted.

New user using a spoofed email address from St. Helena, but posting from Ireland whilst hiding his location. Also hiding details on YouTube. We rely on trust on this forum as we have had some pretty awful behaviour (which is why new users cannot P.M. either) so your behaviour doesn’t give us any trust.

Give us a real email address and location and I’ll unhide your post. Only Moderators see that email address. 

Or, of course you can stay anonymous and have every one of your posts moderated.

Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with someone hiding their real identity on an internet forum, even to the (unknown set of) moderators. Why not review the first few posts of a new member instead of making a real identity research attempt? What is the point of insisting to have a "real email address"?

Except for the moderators, the users can't see any details about most users. So users can essentially be anonymous to the community (given most of the usernames) yet we all get along.

I think this policy of hiding quality posts just because the user chooses to be anonymous to the moderators in addition to the community is too restrictive.

My opinion.

Ugh, I haven't been able to reply to this for hours because of the restrictions on new user post frequency.

I can see Keith's point - I've been involved in moderating and administering big forums before, and contributed to many more. Keeping out spam and disruptive users is frustrating, and I totally understand restrictions on (1) moderating posts by new users, (2) disallowing PM sending for new users, and (3) limits on post frequency for new users. All sensible decisions in the context of an Internet forum.

On the other hand, I didn't expect to be partially doxxed by a moderator - that's bad form, and is a great example of exactly why I generally post under a pseudonym no matter what I'm doing on the internet. Being judged based on what part of the world I'm in, or where my email address appears to be, or how many personal details my YouTube account does or doesn't expose, is not something I expected.

To Keith's specific points:

• The email address I used isn't "spoofed", it's a real, active email address. It passed the forum's email verification. Try sending me an email, and I'll reply from it. It's as real as any other email address, and I don't know what you mean by "spoofed".
  • The YouTube account - it's one I keep solely for the purpose of posting videos and it, very carefully, doesn't publish any of my personal information.
  • My behaviour so far is that I've provided one high quality post about the exact cause of an InMotion manufacturing defect that causes a safety issue, and I think it's highly relevant to all InMotion riders. Pretty good behaviour, I would have thought, and the content alone should show that I'm worth some level of trust.

Keith's decision was well-intentioned; protecting the forum. However, it had the side effect of hiding this defect and safety information from the forum, which I believe is detrimental to all EUC riders. Keith also didn't PM me about it - he just hid the post, and went on his way. I had to make this public post out of confusion about where my held-for-moderation content went.

As others have noted, behaviour trend (post history and post quality) is the only real indicator of trustworthiness in any community. There are a lot of real reasons why people might want to use a pseudonym on the internet, and the EFF have a great article discussing many of them. People like Keith in a privileged position may not have anything to fear from putting their details on the internet, but maybe I do.

Having said all that, Keith's the boss here, it's not my show and I'm not in a place to dictate any rules to anyone, so *shrug*

7 minutes ago, suicidebike said:

Ugh, I haven't been able to reply to this for hours because of the restrictions on new user post frequency.

I can see Keith's point - I've been involved in moderating and administering big forums before, and contributed to many more. Keeping out spam and disruptive users is frustrating, and I totally understand restrictions on (1) moderating posts by new users, (2) disallowing PM sending for new users, and (3) limits on post frequency for new users. All sensible decisions in the context of an Internet forum.

On the other hand, I didn't expect to be partially doxxed by a moderator - that's bad form, and is a great example of exactly why I generally post under a pseudonym no matter what I'm doing on the internet. Being judged based on what part of the world I'm in, or where my email address appears to be, or how many personal details my YouTube account does or doesn't expose, is not something I expected.

To Keith's specific points:

• The email address I used isn't "spoofed", it's a real, active email address. It passed the forum's email verification. Try sending me an email, and I'll reply from it. It's as real as any other email address, and I don't know what you mean by "spoofed".
  • The YouTube account - it's one I keep solely for the purpose of posting videos and it, very carefully, doesn't publish any of my personal information.
  • My behaviour so far is that I've provided one high quality post about the exact cause of an InMotion manufacturing defect that causes a safety issue, and I think it's highly relevant to all InMotion riders. Pretty good behaviour, I would have thought, and the content alone should show that I'm worth some level of trust.

Keith's decision was well-intentioned; protecting the forum. However, it had the side effect of hiding this defect and safety information from the forum, which I believe is detrimental to all EUC riders. Keith also didn't PM me about it - he just hid the post, and went on his way. I had to make this public post out of confusion about where my held-for-moderation content went.

As others have noted, behaviour trend (post history and post quality) is the only real indicator of trustworthiness in any community. There are a lot of real reasons why people might want to use a pseudonym on the internet, and the EFF have a great article discussing many of them. People like Keith in a privileged position may not have anything to fear from putting their details on the internet, but maybe I do.

Having said all that, Keith's the boss here, it's not my show and I'm not in a place to dictate any rules to anyone, so *shrug*

Keith isn't "the boss" here. But he certainly helps to keep things in check.

I'm using my moderator prerogative and un-hiding your post. Please continue contributing to our little community here - Keith's actions were coming from a good place :)

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Keith isn't "the boss" here. But he certainly helps to keep things in check.

I'm using my moderator prerogative and un-hiding your post. Please continue contributing to our little community here - Keith's actions were coming from a good place :)

Great, thank you!

Archived