How do you place your wheel inside a car trunk, SUV/Van back space ?

SanDiegoGuy

I place it in the trunk of my VW GTI hatchback on its side. And I use "CarGo" blocks to keep it from sliding around.

The blocks look like this:

1255d1275246515-gorilla-gear-jetta-sedan

I will take pics when i can. I have no idea if its ok or not to leave it on its side for a long time.

Edited by mkygod

1 minute ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Is that a memory foam ?

No... That particular wheel came with two polystyrene halves in the box, so I just cut the box to match, slip some lycra over the polystyrene (to stop it chipping away) and strapped it in the back of the car.

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I use this in a work van but it would work in some trunks too. 24” tall. Could be made shorter. 

9CF3A80E-58CC-4FEC-A901-0D9409757E37_zps

We'red you get that? was it custom?

It reminds me of stuff they use to make speakers and pro audio racks and shelves with. I wonder if there are any portable audio racks or suitcases that would work.

• Upvote 1

I follow up on this, I was planning on making something in wood this week, so I could put it nicely in my VW Camper... 

I have to come up with a stand for two wheels as wel, to put it outside out of the camper when we are travelling.

For a KS18L and V10f I was thinking of one stand, that I could put a wheel on the left and right side of it.. but it can't flip over if you take one wheel away.. 

All input /referrals are more then welcome..

cheers

CL

4 hours ago, mkygod said:

We'red you get that? was it custom?

It reminds me of stuff they use to make speakers and pro audio racks and shelves with. I wonder if there are any portable audio racks or suitcases that would work.

I made it. I have a post on it Here

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The most important thing I do is make sure the wheel isn't upright.

Let me repeat that: under no circumstances should your wheel be upright in a car. However, the tilt sensor will not allow the wheel to run if you tilt the wheel.

This is due accidentally activating the power button, especially the irritating touch sensor of the Inmotions. I've had just a few accidental activations whereby a wheel's button gets activated, but they are terrifying with rubber and smoke everywhere.

I set my wheels either flat in the back or tilt then radically behind the seat. While accidental button activation is very difficult, it has happened to me several times over the past few years in my car.

Fun fact: I believe one of my unsecured wheels rammed then triggered my fire extinguisher. 

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Fun fact: I believe one of my unsecured wheels rammed then triggered my fire extinguisher. 

Ha!  I have had a fire extinguisher set off in the back of van while driving. Lots of fun and coughing! That stuff burns the lungs when concentrated. 

Good point on the upright situation. I just tested mine. The tire does not touch anything but it could touch the back if I pushed it in too far. I will have to add a stop so that won’t happen. Other wise it just spins up and shuts down. 

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

Ha!  I have had a fire extinguisher set off in the back of van while driving. Lots of fun and coughing! That stuff burns the lungs when concentrated. 

Good point on the upright situation. I just tested mine. The tire does not touch anything but it could touch the back if I pushed it in too far. I will have to add a stop so that won’t happen. Other wise it just spins up and shuts down. 

I think if the wheel is in a case like yours then it should be fine 99.9% of the time, and the other time you just make sure not to put or throw anything in the back.

I'm referring more to the dumbasses like me who cut the bottom of the box the EUC came in, put the EUC in there, then stuck a few more EUC in there, then threw a couple of bags on top.

Don't do that.

• Like 1

This realization is going to change my habits. In my family car I have been putting wheels upright on the floor snug between the front and back seats with back packs and other item on top of the wheels and back seat.  Just lucky I guess. 

Our pilot friends might want to keep this in mind. It is a little harder making an emergency stop to reposition the wheel behind the seat in a Piper or Cessna. 

• 3 years later...

I don’t want to scratch the cabin, so I won’t put it between the seats. The trunk is the only option. With my “factory rider” body size, manipulating a V11 deep in the trunk, on a super sticky soft rubber floor, is just a recipe to break my back. :D And if I put two wheels there, it takes too much space. Plus, sometimes I ride in wet conditions/mud and I prefer to not put the wheels on the sides then. The box solves it all.

The fire extinguisher is not for EUCs in particular - I’m used to having it in a car because of all the gas under my ass. :innocent1:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1