Z10 Milage

cg

I seem to get less milage than I would expect on my Z10, So I am wondering if I drive more aggressive than others (I don't think I do), currently I ride with 20PSI, and today I had ~30% battery left after 34km, the last part of the ride I had to decrease speed due to alarm, the first part I did not have to decrease, the ride was with full light as it is dark outside.

what do you think? 30%battery after 34km? Any experience that gives different milage??

Rider weight and tire pressure are 2 big factors in range.  @195lbs, ~2.4 bars pressure (34psi), and avg speed of 10mph (I’m frequently on pedestrian filled sidewalks where I have to drop down to jogging speed or worse), I easily get 20 miles with ~60% battery left.

just ben at the gas station and increased pressure to same as you @JBoo, my weight is less than your, 78kg, hopefully if weather allows I will do some testing tomorrow... but I can already feel it 'feels' much more responsive...

Weather is excellent, was out to do millage testing with the pressurized tire. But the test kinda failed

1) I turned of the unit, and lost the milage.... I think I started with total around ~290km and and ended at 330km => ~40km

2) I ended up in the forest :) probably not the best place for mileage testing.

anyway, the battery ended at 42%...
for me the last 10% is not really usable as the unit no longer is a pleasure to ride, so 32%,
Total efficiency is then 40km / (100%-32%) = 0.59km/% => 60km on a charge, which is 'Exactly' what I expected :)

20180902_141728.jpg

I've done a lot of range testing with the Z10. If you ride mostly below (but not all) ~32-km/h, it's a solid 55-km wheel. That's with a rider (clothes and gear) weight of ~80kg. My tire pressure is ~30-psi. 20-psi is certainly going to reduce your range.

Last week I published my extended range test video where I did 67-km

On 9/2/2018 at 8:39 PM, Marty Backe said:

Last week I published my extended range test video where I did 67-km

I saw it, but. I guess we agree that 'walking' speed with constant beeping is not real range. I was thinking, stop hurting the poor thing and get off and walk with it :rolleyes:

Today I rode too and from work, distance 34km, home from 97% to 32%, I guess I'm riding at the same speed perhaps faster, , but there is always wind in opposite direction of where you are going here!

34km/(97%-(31-10)%) =>43km (to10%), it was pretty much same story in both directions, 35PSI, so really hard tire

Going to work I actually went through a forest, and used a horrible horse track,  I couldn't see anything because I was shaking so much! But it didn't seem to change battery usage, probably speed vs rough terrain evens out

3 hours ago, cg said:

I saw it, but. I guess we agree that 'walking' speed with constant beeping is not real range. I was thinking, stop hurting the poor thing and get off and walk with it :rolleyes:

Today I rode too and from work, distance 34km, home from 97% to 32%, I guess I'm riding at the same speed perhaps faster, , but there is always wind in opposite direction of where you are going here!

34km/(97%-(31-10)%) =>43km (to10%), it was pretty much same story in both directions, 35PSI, so really hard tire

Going to work I actually went through a forest, and used a horrible horse track,  I couldn't see anything because I was shaking so much! But it didn't seem to change battery usage, probably speed vs rough terrain evens out

43-km does seem to be on the short side. My range test is done on pavement. If there's a lot of off-road riding, the mileage will be much worse.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

43-km does seem to be on the short side. My range test is done on pavement. If there's a lot of off-road riding, the mileage will be much worse.

No, all road (at least on the way home), I wish I could record my speed, will try today, but usually my phone gets a lot of 'holes' in the recording :(

5 hours ago, JBoo said:

Just got back from an 18 mile ride where tire pressure was ~2.2 bars.  Used 50% of the battery, so definitely looks like a solid 30 mile wheel.

Seems exactly like 30mile with 10% buffer, 18mile/(100%-(50%-10%)) =>0.3mile/%=>30mile range

I will see if recording speed etc works today on my trip :)

I had the opportunity to compare the Z energy use between 65kg rider (my daughter) and 85kg rider (myself)  with around 25-30 km rides the difference is around 100Wh less for the lighter rider. Pressure the same in both wheels - around 25 psi.  

I have made charging speed test using charge doctor - effective charging - around 110 Wh/hour when battery voltage is below 58.0 VDC. This means that after longer rides charging time may be even more than 10 hours (charging in the last phase when voltage is over 58.0 V is slower) 

50 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

I have made charging speed test using charge doctor - effective charging - around 110 Wh/hour when battery voltage is below 58.0 VDC. This means that after longer rides charging time may be even more than 10 hours (charging in the last phase when voltage is over 58.0 V is slower) 

is this with two charges connected or just one, any benefit from the two chargers I saw you using??

For me lots of ride today, my tracking app on my phone was not able to record while using google maps for directions, I have added google elevation chart, 

1. Discharge 100%->85% distance 11,1km, milage 11km/(100%-(85%-10%)) = 0,44km/% => 44km (morning, fast)
    image.png.9251597ea72a2d67d9a0d1b07b522a27.png

2. Discharge 85%->32%, distance 27,4km, milage 27,4km/(85%-(32%-10%)) = 0,43km/% => 43km (morning, fast)
    image.png.bee755dfa991e92155f6a5b86d2bcbc0.png

3. Discharge 92%->67%, distance 13km, milage 13km/(92%-(67%-10%)) = 0,37 => 37km/% (afternoon, fast)
    image.png.6a6b56eea85b294f15e09de3dc0d08f0.png

4. Discharge 99%->24%, distance 38,1km, milage 38,1km/(99%-(24%-10%)) = 0,44km/% => 44km Night, slower due to reduced visibility
    image.png.5251eac083ec25da71be603fcc54d4d2.png

1 hour ago, cg said:

is this with two charges connected or just one, any benefit from the two chargers I saw you using??

This is with one charger.  I use two chargers sometimes during weekends between the rides to add 100-200Wh quickly "just in case", I will measure the charging speed during the weekend, but in general it shall be 2x110Wh= 220Wh/hour. I use two chargers with charge doctor switch off voltage set to 58,0V, as at this voltage current start to go down.

11 hours ago, cg said:

For me lots of ride today, my tracking app on my phone was not able to record while using google maps for directions, I have added google elevation chart, 

1. Discharge 100%->85% distance 11,1km, milage 11km/(100%-(85%-10%)) = 0,44km/% => 44km (morning, fast)
    image.png.9251597ea72a2d67d9a0d1b07b522a27.png

2. Discharge 85%->32%, distance 27,4km, milage 27,4km/(85%-(32%-10%)) = 0,43km/% => 43km (morning, fast)
    image.png.bee755dfa991e92155f6a5b86d2bcbc0.png

3. Discharge 92%->67%, distance 13km, milage 13km/(92%-(67%-10%)) = 0,37 => 37km/% (afternoon, fast)
    image.png.6a6b56eea85b294f15e09de3dc0d08f0.png

4. Discharge 99%->24%, distance 38,1km, milage 38,1km/(99%-(24%-10%)) = 0,44km/% => 44km Night, slower due to reduced visibility
    image.png.5251eac083ec25da71be603fcc54d4d2.png

How do you get the elevation map from the Google Maps app (Android). Tried to find, no luck.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cg said:

Today I had to walk 1.6km with the wheel, it was un-ridable after 44km (9%)battery, max speed 10km/h, started at 100% in the app, although the LED on the charger was still red...

I assume you were riding it hard (mostly very fast)?

On 9/5/2018 at 6:10 AM, Ziiten said:

How do you get the elevation map from the Google Maps app (Android). Tried to find, no luck.

Go to the bike tab on Google map, use a grab app... Seriously more people need to do this when they talk about their mileage for a particular trip...

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

Go to the bike tab on Google map, use a grab app... Seriously more people need to do this when they talk about their mileage for a particular trip...

which apl do you use how do you do it ?

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I assume you were riding it hard (mostly very fast)?

Most of the time not hard or fast. I did have a constant headwind, not noticeable at stand still but possible to see on the flags. On the other hand, several of my my girlfriends has complained about wind where I didn't notice :D

To be honest this was a commuting trip, so it represent represent some random 'real world usage' not particular hard and not soft, I was riding in the middle of night (23-01) so it was very dark, I was focused on not too hard accelerations (most of time) because I expected to be stretching batteri, and because first 'indicator' on the battery already dropped much earlier than I expected

2 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

I agree, it is not the 'exact' route, as I got lost 'somewhere' in the start, trying to make a shortcut

image.png.324bdd81641e19c803afdca92ab5e3b1.png,

it looks step, it would be interesting comparing it to @Marty Backe's 60km trip,

Ok, so you do need a computer for that Gmap profile, not available in the Android app. I have given up all computers (except work) - besides this, there are few things you can't do on a smartphone, things that I don't miss anyway. Installed Geo tracker app for trip tracking and stats.

6 hours ago, cg said:

Most of the time not hard or fast. I did have a constant headwind, not noticeable at stand still but possible to see on the flags. On the other hand, several of my my girlfriends has complained about wind where I didn't notice :D

To be honest this was a commuting trip, so it represent represent some random 'real world usage' not particular hard and not soft, I was riding in the middle of night (23-01) so it was very dark, I was focused on not too hard accelerations (most of time) because I expected to be stretching batteri, and because first 'indicator' on the battery already dropped much earlier than I expected

I agree, it is not the 'exact' route, as I got lost 'somewhere' in the start, trying to make a shortcut

image.png.324bdd81641e19c803afdca92ab5e3b1.png,

it looks step, it would be interesting comparing it to @Marty Backe's 60km trip,

Well, your distance is certainly on the shorter side, but it really does depend on riding conditions, and your weight.

Here is the data for my 67-km ride. You can see that the terrain was mostly flat and my average moving speed was only ~22-km/h

Geo-Tracker-2018-08-25-11-00-46

I know I might be beating a dead horse... but my range, today, usual 34km, battery went from 99 to 30, so with my usual method: 34km/(99%-(30-20)%) => 43km, and this time I have the log of speed, nice ride, but not maxing it.

Geo-Tracker-2018-09-17-21-06-21.thumb.png.0f199a90da25d6c56f37859cd1ecdd62.png

(im going with the wheels 34km, since I was slaloming a bit, so range is probably a bit longer than what GPS noticed)

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh well, here I am again... Anybody has experience with the Z10 in climate and wind like Denmark, today charged to 58.1V (99% in NB app, but probably a bit lower)... after 39.0km I was asked to step off and walk by Z10. it was only a couple of hundred meters I was missing.

I just don't understand why you have so much more range, my batteries seems to charge plenty of power? could it be inefficient motor? Tomorrow I have to taking my car since I would first have a 37km, then 5 hours later another 37km, and then two hours later 17km, the 5 hours make it not possible to charge enough, (or perhaps with two chargers, gonna do my first double charging today:) )

Anyway, the question is actually what the experience from Z10 riding distance in similar conditions as Denmark (flat, fairly windy, and arround ~8degress celcuis) ? I do ride nearly as fast as possible, on gravel and wind... Ohh well guess I will just dream about more energy...

Archived