New Kid On The Block

Mimetic Polyalloy

Dear all,

I have been lurking around this forum for quite a while but now decided to join in and register myself. The huge information, discussions and polite culture in here helped me a lot to take my first steps into this wierd experience with quite success - but I´m still going on learning.  So I would like to give a brief introduction for myself. 

It was around my 53st birthday when I randomly watched a YT Video with some guy peforming on an EUC. I was blown away by the impression to learn this for myself and felt a really "can do" attempt to do this. Thus being sceptical I started with a smaller investment in hardware for the beginning. I ordered a new Ninebot One E+ for around 420 credits from Amazon and made my first steps on it. Obviously I scratched the hardware limits of this device rather soon and was looking for some upgrade. The information found here encoraged me to approach the P model conversion by firmware hack to 1.4.3 . version. The great work of user MRN76 made this only come possible for me . Also the YT video (in Spain) of an other user here (don´t know his name, sorry) was very helpful. I also applied a battery upgrade to 708 Wh for safety and range issues. Now I am quite happy with this  28kph/35 km range solution. But I feel somehow seduced by all this new wheels out there ...

For this year my solution would be OK for me, but I am thinking about an upgrade the next season. May be someone with similar experience could give me some advice?

My advice is, GO BIG 

youre un knowingly torturing yourself woth those ninebot sidewalk wheels, when you decide to upgrade GO BIG!! You wont regret it, once you see the light, you wont go back :D 

a usual beginner mistake is to start too small, but now you arent a beginner anymore, but still youve been tiding ninebot sidewalk wheels for an eternety now, look at reviews and specs, determine if you want more stability by getting a 18’ wheel, and with battery nothing is (too much) look what wheels have the qualities you like

I am still on an E+, but if I upgrade, I would want one of the high powered wheels with 1500-2000watt motor and 1000wh or larger battery, like KS18L, Gotway Tesla, MSuperX, or ACM.  Even though you upgraded your E+ to P speed and the larger battery, the motor is only 500watts.

Yes thats exactly the point. The Ninebot is not a bad machine at all but a bit outdated relating to rated motor power. I am at 205 lb and live in a quite hilly area, so the overheat beep is very familiar to me. It is also rather lame going uphill - but this might be as well an issue of my riding skills.

When thinking about all that, would it make sense to go for an 18" as a next step? I think the larger diameter eats up a bit of the higher torque related to a 16" wheel. Or do you think thats neglectible? The KS-18L could be an object of desire but is still expensive  and hardly available. One store in my region has still a batch of its predecessor KS-18S for a better price. This machine has a rated motor power of 1500W compared to 2000W of the 18L model. Do you think this will be a big difference in reality or more a marketing issue?

Or should I be patient and wait:eff006f726:? I´m looking forward to your advice!

Thank you for the hint. Temptation never sleeps and this could really be one... The estimated price would also be a "no brainer" compared to new wheels. Although this deal might be over already.

But I have to sleep over it. Unfortunatelly Gotway does not really have a sales representative in Germany or Europe as far as I can see. In case of problems/spare parts etc. you might be on your own. Also their model politics and support seems strange to me - but this is only my personal impression, likely to be changed. Enthusiasts and power users will be happy with this brand of course because they are pushing limits.

Generally it will be a good idea to look for a used wheel also. So I will check up the private sales section some more.

4 hours ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Yes thats exactly the point. The Ninebot is not a bad machine at all but a bit outdated relating to rated motor power. I am at 205 lb and live in a quite hilly area, so the overheat beep is very familiar to me. It is also rather lame going uphill - but this might be as well an issue of my riding skills.

When thinking about all that, would it make sense to go for an 18" as a next step? I think the larger diameter eats up a bit of the higher torque related to a 16" wheel. Or do you think thats neglectible? The KS-18L could be an object of desire but is still expensive  and hardly available. One store in my region has still a batch of its predecessor KS-18S for a better price. This machine has a rated motor power of 1500W compared to 2000W of the 18L model. Do you think this will be a big difference in reality or more a marketing issue?

Or should I be patient and wait:eff006f726:? I´m looking forward to your advice!

Just read again your post about the store near you with some KS18s wheels.  That might be your best plan.  There are some videos on this channel showing how powerful the 18s is.  

37 minutes ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Unfortunatelly Gotway does not really have a sales representative in Germany or Europe as far as I can see.

You can buy from Speedyfeet (UK) for a great seller and good prices (as opposed to French stores which are the other big Euro Gotway sellers but the prices are a joke).

Thank you all for your advice. Somewhere I read people only want to hear from consultants what they are willing to do in any case...;-)

I think at this time I´m focused on the question if a KS-18L would give me a benefit which is worth the 400 credits extra charge. But maybe I should move in the Kingsong section to clarify?

Yes there is an impressive KS-18S wheel performance shown in that video relating to @steve454 ´s last recommendation . If a a pro like Marty Backe performing it won´t push a KS-18S to its limits at all this should be vast enough for me.

I am only still uncertain if I should wait for KS-18L (or similar, not being a fanboy) next year or getting a sligtly cheaper( 400 credits) KS-18S now ( i.e. 1020 Wh/1500 W, avialable in my region) which would surely fit my semi-beginners needs for the next time without regretting it to soon... Your former comments already drove me towards the 18" solution.

Any estimation would be helpful for me!

I definitely agree with getting an 18" wheel, but my advice to relative newbs is to do your own research and come to your own decision.  If this were a bigger community and wheels were more mainstream and popular, feedback would be more useful because there would be consensus opinion based on a large pool of users.  

You need to rank what qualities are most important for you.  Speed/reliability/range, etc...

A lot of posters here get caught up in new releases when they aren't necessarily better than slightly older wheels.  They are after the e-cred of owning the newest wheel.  Or they are prone to upgraditis just due to consumerism.  I'm not convinced that this small market functions the same way a big tech market works whereby you can safely assume a new generation product is better.  A good recent example of this is the Inmotion V10.  A lot of folks would have recommended that wheel when it first came out, but it's had problems and wouldn't be as recommended after having been available for a while now.  

Next year? The 8L is available now in Euroland!

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/kingsong-ks18l-electric-unicycle (Best price and very good dealer)

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/store_t3_category-18_inches-sc__9 (Real price might be cheaper as they use 23% VAT for Poland instead of 19% for Germany, maybe you can get it reduced)

https://www.electro-sport.de/Kingsong-KS18L (German dealer #1)

https://scooterhelden.de/kingsong/42-kingsong-ks18l-4000-watt-maximum-und-50kmh.html#/farbe-schwarzmatt_ (German dealer #2)

Nothing wrong with the 18S, especially if you can find it for a good price. But the 18L is available now:efee47c9c8: Get the wheel your heart tells you to buy, usually the best choice. Also nothing wrong with thinking about all the possible alternatives.

15 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I definitely agree with getting an 18" wheel, but my advice to relative newbs is to do your own research and come to your own decision.  If this were a bigger community and wheels were more mainstream and popular, feedback would be more useful because there would be consensus opinion based on a large pool of users.  

You need to rank what qualities are most important for you.  Speed/reliability/range, etc...

A lot of posters here get caught up in new releases when they aren't necessarily better than slightly older wheels.  They are after the e-cred of owning the newest wheel.  Or they are prone to upgraditis just due to consumerism.  I'm not convinced that this small market functions the same way a big tech market works whereby you can safely assume a new generation product is better.  A good recent example of this is the Inmotion V10.  A lot of folks would have recommended that wheel when it first came out, but it's had problems and wouldn't be as recommended after having been available for a while now.  

Thank you for those wise words. As a person with technical toy interest I know from experience we are seducible to what you have in mind...

As an employee in industry I also know how first batches of anything are released normally. So I try to avoid them for personal purchase whenever possible. Luckily I´m not under pressure and can sit some of these issues out.

But it helps me much to build my opinion from all your comments!

15 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Next year? The 8L is available now in Euroland!

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/kingsong-ks18l-electric-unicycle (Best price and very good dealer)

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/store_t3_category-18_inches-sc__9 (Real price might be cheaper as they use 23% VAT for Poland instead of 19% for Germany, maybe you can get it reduced)

https://www.electro-sport.de/Kingsong-KS18L (German dealer #1)

https://scooterhelden.de/kingsong/42-kingsong-ks18l-4000-watt-maximum-und-50kmh.html#/farbe-schwarzmatt_ (German dealer #2)

Nothing wrong with the 18S, especially if you can find it for a good price. But the 18L is available now:efee47c9c8: Get the wheel your heart tells you to buy, usually the best choice. Also nothing wrong with thinking about all the possible alternatives.

Thank you for the effort in generating this list. Speedyfeet seems actually have the best price at all, even after adding VAT and shipment. The store from poland doesn´t ship KS wheels to germany, at least thats said when you try to purchase from their webshop. I think this might have to do with their sales contract to the manufacturer.

The recommended shop from Germany I know from surfing around. Just for interest: Are they somehow related to 1radwerkstatt.de?

31 minutes ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Thank you for the effort in generating this list. Speedyfeet seems actually have the best price at all, even after adding VAT and shipment. The store from poland doesn´t ship KS wheels to germany, at least thats said when you try to purchase from their webshop. I think this might have to do with their sales contract to the manufacturer.

The recommended shop from Germany I know from surfing around. Just for interest: Are they somehow related to 1radwerkstatt.de?

They are selling KS for 1radwerkstatt :-) You may contact 1rad  via E-Mail...and ask for Price!

Tell Chris i send you there: US69/Ulf

To be honest: 1radwerkstatt is the best repair shop for EUC's i know...at least in complete europe i would say, so if ever you have some probs, best place to have!. 

And btw.: Today he also got the Z10 in stock!

1 hour ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Thank you for those wise words. As a person with technical toy interest I know from experience we are seducible to what you have in mind...

As an employee in industry I also know how first batches of anything are released normally. So I try to avoid them for personal purchase whenever possible. Luckily I´m not under pressure and can sit some of these issues out.

But it helps me much to build my opinion from all your comments!

I've never been part of a forum for a product that is so niche before.  The information value you can get from such a small forum is quite limited other than getting feedback for specific problems or issues. 

For a long time, the most popular wheel recommendation to newbs would be a wheel with much poorer reliability than it's competitors because the performance benefits were more important for the hard-core enthusiasts here that assumed going as fast as possible would be more important than reliability to a newb because it was more important to them as veterans.  On a bigger forum, something like that wouldn't have happened.  You get a few posters who like being able to monopolize a small forum like this and are online all day every day being "experts."  

Thank you for your estimation. For shure you are right in that point of view. Greater communities (what we will never be, BTW: Since engaging I still enjoy the puzzled faces of bypassed bicyclists/pedestrians even at my lame NB1E+ capabilities, haha) have a "swarm effect" that shifts out singular domination.

But for beeing - in my estimation - a rather singular and adult forum we can handle polarities and biased opinions much more better than others. For me this makes our common experience in here much more reliable. But I agree surely that any decision at last lies on your own.

Archived