Seattle Meetups and Group Rides

Esper

Hello Everyone! What a nice weekend we just had. I got out on my euc and headed over to Myrtle Edwards park in Seattle on Saturday. I slowly made my way all the way to the end of park where its closed by fishing pier having to stop 4-5 times for various reasons and then back to the start with same 4-5 times getting off.

Sunday I went back and made it all the way to the end only stopping once because my right lower leg was aching. I made it all the way back, across train tracks and to the stop light/crosswalk in one go. That made me pretty excited but legs were getting shaky.

Later in the day I tried going the other way on on sidewalk following Alaska Way. I made it to Union when I decided to stop and come back, I did eat it once because a lady was on her cell phone walking in circles and I couldn't move direction fast enough. :D I need some more practice before I try riding to work in Pioneer Sq dealing with all the pedestrians.

I even met a pretty cool person riding a One Wheel through the park on Saturday. We talked about riding them around there, he rides a long distance from West Seattle all the way to that area on it. Pretty impressive :D

Cant wait to get better and meet up for a group thing.

• Like 2

I saw a new rider this morning that I haven't seen before. Going East down Stewart St at about 7:45 this morning. The rider was wearing a bright green full face helmet. Honestly, the helmet is the only reason I noticed him as I travel down Virginia going the same direction. 
There is also another rider I run into occasionally between 4:35-4:50 pm going South on Westlake. I catch him crossing Virginia St. He rides what looks like a white inmotion wheel, but it could be something else. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, Esper said:

If you're in downtown during the day on weekdays I'd be happy to cruise over and help you out during lunch breaks. I work in the Denny Triangle area and can get around the city pretty quickly. Then once you get the hang of it, I can point you to a couple fellow locals that participate in many of the group rides and you can tag along with them.

Met up with @Esper today for this ^. Had a great time and picked up some great tips that are going to help me for sure! Thanks again Esper.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, Blueblade said:

Just saying "hi", from a fellow puget sound south-ender.

Hey @Blueblade, I live in Bonney Lake and have for +10 years, I thought I was the only one on the plateau riding, so we need to meet up and show the BL we're gaining numbers. I do like to go to Seattle meetups too but have to plan ahead because of the commute. The wheel is my commuter.

• Like 1

Cool!  I'm not sure when I will get a chance to ride more (my son has been struggling with some health problems, i have missed a ton of work etc.), but its great to know there is another EUCer right in the neighborhood!.

Where do you like to ride?  I have been wondering about the orting trail, but not sure if EUCs are allowed.  I've only taken very short rides around neighborhood building skills for < 15 mins at a time, so far (the aforementioned health issues) not to mention was a pretty intense winter this year!

I too have not yet seen another EUC around here, although my son saw one once at football practice at BLHS

I do not do Facebook or Google stuff for groups so I was looking on Meetup.com for anything EUC/Solowheel etc related in Seattle and came up empty. For that reason I created "Seattle EUC" group and below is the link if anyone is interested.

Meetup.com is a very good place for visibility( I have two other successful groups I manage on it as well)  and just from looking at the InMotion app in Seattle there are 200+ folks using the app around. :D

Feel free to join if you are interested. If people actually start signing up there the group can discuss rides meetings etc. Maybe like a Saturday morning group ride to get breakfast or coffee etc. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prasket said:

I do not do Facebook or Google stuff for groups so I was looking on Meetup.com for anything EUC/Solowheel etc related in Seattle and came up empty. For that reason I created "Seattle EUC" group and below is the link if anyone is interested.

I like your enthusiasm. But there is a problem with having too many of one thing. It creates a longer list for others interested to search through in order to have a proper group meeting. This just exacerbates that. There are about 7 local groups on Facebook alone. I attempted to unify the groups once before as well as create a unified calendar with each group admin as a contributor but neither worked. Essentially what it comes down to is each group has their own meetups and there are admins in one that share the meetups in other groups. In order for your meetup to work, it would require other to first join, then participate in it in addition to the others they are already taking part in.

Interestingly enough, this seems to be a Seattle thing as there are more than 8 Seattle Subreddits. The community is too divided that creating another group only creates more division. I don't know how to fix it, and I'm not sure it even can be fixed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Esper said:

I'll be moving down to Auburn next year and will hopefully be able to meet up with you two some time after then.

That should be nice for you. Auburn seems to me like it would be better suited for EUCing. Mostly flat, lots of sidewalks, a lot less crowded, some nice parks, etc. (Used to live there years ago)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Esper said:

I like your enthusiasm. But there is a problem with having too many of one thing. It creates a longer list for others interested to search through in order to have a proper group meeting. This just exacerbates that. There are about 7 local groups on Facebook alone...

I agree with you 100%. I also started a group a while back and realized that it’s not going to work. Joining an established group is better.  As long as everyone get along and look out for each other, then there’s no need to have another group for the same purpose. I am already a part of 3 different groups and they meet up weekly. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On the V5F I usually carry my charger if I know I'll arrive with less than 50%. I've traveled as far as Lakeland Hills/Auburn, Buckley/Enumclaw, Sumner/Puyallup but pretty much drains my battery on arrival/return. If just around the neighborhood I like to go up to Allen York sometimes or Tahelah because of the great foothills and MT rainier View.

There are some trails behind fred meyer and those shopping centers.  I've even taken this offroad to inaccessible areas where excavation is taking place for the new developments. Growing up around here, only the kids with dirt bikes would be all over those trails and make some of their own off them. So this was when I first got my wheel seeing others do their "stress" test. That my friend is a stress test I've yet seen comparable so maybe I'll do it again and record it. I don't really intend on repeating that unless the wheel is advertised heavily as performing as such but we'll see.

And yes, sometimes I cut through the schools so I'm sure I've been spotted plenty times around there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oswald Valentine-Lopez said:

On the V5F I usually carry my charger if I know I'll arrive with less than 50%. I've traveled as far as Lakeland Hills/Auburn, Buckley/Enumclaw, Sumner/Puyallup but pretty much drains my battery on arrival/return. If just around the neighborhood I like to go up to Allen York sometimes or Tahelah because of the great foothills and MT rainier View.

There are some trails behind fred meyer and those shopping centers.  I've even taken this offroad to inaccessible areas where excavation is taking place for the new developments. Growing up around here, only the kids with dirt bikes would be all over those trails and make some of their own off them. So this was when I first got my wheel seeing others do their "stress" test. That my friend is a stress test I've yet seen comparable so maybe I'll do it again and record it. I don't really intend on repeating that unless the wheel is advertised heavily as performing as such but we'll see.

And yes, sometimes I cut through the schools so I'm sure I've been spotted plenty times around there.

Sounds to me like you need a range upgrade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oswald Valentine-Lopez said:

I like to go up to Allen York sometimes or Tahelah because of the great foothills and MT rainier View.

There are some trails behind fred meyer and those shopping centers.  I've even taken this offroad to inaccessible areas where excavation is taking place for the new developments. Growing up around here, only the kids with dirt bikes would be all over those trails 

Yes, I used to ride my dirt bike over there too. Used to be able to park at the Christmas tree farm during off season.  Then they stopped that, and instead I used to head out from a buddy's place in Prairie Ridge.  Then mostly it started getting posted with no trespassing signs, and the forest clearcut for Cascadia (now Tehaleh) and I stopped riding there :-(

That wooded trail behind Fred Meyer often seemed kinda iffy, often questionable looking people seemed to frequent it when we parked there for groceries, we'd see abandoned grocery carts etc., but admittedly I haven't gone back there myself...

It's a bummer there aren't more sidewalks around here, lots of "rural" type roads not really well suited for EUCing. It is a nice and scenic area though! Tehaleh..I haven't been back there really since they builtit up, hopefully they were liberal with sidewalk creation, being a newer development.

I live less than a mile from Allen York btw.

The Orting Foothills trail is beautiful leaving downtown Orting towards South Prairie BTW, long portion right next to the river.  Nice place to run or cycle too. Not sure the rule on EUCs there though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

The rule with EUC rules is to just do it until someone makes you stop, at least that's my rule :D

So many southenders, where's my Northside dudes? 

They are on facebook. :efefe00999:

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

The rule with EUC rules is to just do it until someone makes you stop, at least that's my rule :D

I think you're more or less legally right, too👍

"Except for the limitations of this subsection, persons operating an EPAMD have all the rights and duties of a pedestrian."

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.710

Edited by Blueblade
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Blueblade said:

That wooded trail behind Fred Meyer often seemed kinda iffy, often questionable looking people seemed to frequent it when we parked there for groceries, we'd see abandoned grocery carts etc., but admittedly I haven't gone back there myself...

It's a bummer there aren't more sidewalks around here, lots of "rural" type roads not really well suited for EUCing. It is a nice and scenic area though! Tehaleh..I haven't been back there really since they builtit up, hopefully they were liberal with sidewalk creation, being a newer development.

I wouldn't dare go through those trails at night even with lights/flashlight but maybe with a group. Maybe. :ph34r: But during the day people walk and exercise back there. I've cut across plenty of times. And the tree farm road now has access all the way to Tahaleh which is the route I take up there now. Lots of winding paths up there to get lost in. Then I go down the big hill for some recharge/braking when heading home. 

And this city should have a lot more sidewalks considering all the schools in such close proximity yet no one can safely walk to school let alone down the road to the shopping area. Over by the lake is a bit better than where I'm at in near prairie ridge. This is what makes me want to move back to the city.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 10:19 AM, prasket said:

Meetup.com is a very good place for visibility( I have two other successful groups I manage on it as well)  and just from looking at the InMotion app in Seattle there are 200+ folks using the app around. :D

Feel free to join if you are interested. If people actually start signing up there the group can discuss rides meetings etc. Maybe like a Saturday morning group ride to get breakfast or coffee etc. :D

After the feedback from others here I have closed this meetup group.

I do not/will not use Facebook/Google/Discord for privacy reasons (they all sell your data, message me for more info on that if you want) maybe someone here can post up any scheduled events that are happening, other wise oh well. Solo riding is also pretty fun. :D

31 minutes ago, prasket said:

After the feedback from others here I have closed this meetup group.

I do not/will not use Facebook/Google/Discord for privacy reasons (they all sell your data, message me for more info on that if you want) maybe someone here can post up any scheduled events that are happening, otherwise oh well. Solo riding is also pretty fun. :D

Well that is why I used the calendar. You can connect to it and can sync it directly to your phone's calendar so you can see if anyone is planning a meetup. If you want admin privileges, (or anyone else wants it) I'd be happy to add you. But there needs to be other people that add events from the facebook page(s) to the calendar. I can't do it all on my own and no one on this forum or the facebook pages want to pitch in and help. I obviously won't keep it maintained by myself forever especially if it gets to the point where there are multiple group rides a day and I myself hardly participate in them.

EUC group riding is a SOCIAL EVENT and in order to gather large amounts of people, there needs to be some form of networking involved. If any of you guys want to forbid yourself from public access to these events and want to ride on your own, then do so. But I don't want to hear you guys talking about never being able to join in on rides. They are fun, and mobbing around with a group of 35+ people once in a while is a very different experience from riding on your own or with one other person.

I can't spoon feed this forum community the facebook events all the time. But I will once in a while or if I am asked directly

• Like 1

With that being said. Here are some local meetups.

Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 2 PM – 8 PM Redmond City Hall Lobby, 15670 NE 85th St, Redmond, Washington 98052

Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 6 PM Redmond City Hall Lobby, 15670 NE 85th St, Redmond, Washington 98052

Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 4 PM – 9 PM Tukwila Community Center, 12424 42nd Ave S, Tukwila, WA 98168

Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 11 AM – 8 PM Spruce Railroad Trail, Port Angeles, WA 98363

Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 9 AM – 7 PM Redmond City Hall Lobby, 15670 NE 85th St, Redmond, Washington 98052

• Like 2

Looks like a fun time.  Hopefully some day i will get a chance to join in on one of those.  Very hard to get out much these days for me with my son's health issues, etc.

BTW, April is Autism awareness month, and I'll say it, Autism sucks!  Hopefully they figure out why it is increasing so much in recent years, and or effective ways to treat/prevent it!

Edited by Blueblade