Kingsong KS18L, Gotway MSuper X, Inmotion V10f or Ninebot Z10/ beginner advice

p36p

Hello all

I am a esk8 rider (currently have two dual motor setups: one longboard and one mountainboard) 

I am looking for an EUC because of the bumpy roads of Montreal and also because I want a commute solution during the winter (potentially in the snow)
I want a wheel reliable and powerful. 

I usually ride at an average speed of 25 and regularly hit 40/45 km/h with my boards. Main issue with the esk8s is the range, the ease to travel with and the comfort. 

I am travelling every week to another city by train and I want something easy to travel with and then to commute from the hotel to my workplace but also to ride in the national park close to my location (off-road). Range needed: 50km min.

I have shortlisted:
- Ninebot Z10
- Kingsong 18L
- Gotway msuper x
- Imotion V10f

According to you what would be the best wheel to begin with, the easiest to travel with and the most durable and weather friendly ?

For each here are my personal pros/cons:

- Ninebot Z10: heaviest wheel! 5 kilos less and this would be my instant buying. Is it realistic to think I could take the train with it every 3 days ? I also like the app and totallyib love with the design.)
- Kingsong 18L (my favorite right now because of the weight, the size and the power. Am I missing anything?) Despite the fact there is no quality apps, I only heard bad thing about the trolley. Anything I am missing ?
- Gotway msuper x: more powerful but I heard mitigated reviews and quality issues with gotway, also no quality apps 
- Imotion V10f: I like the quality and app. Only thing retaining me is the overheating issues, max speed lower than in other models and the weight 

Feel free to correct me or add anything based on you experience

Thank you for your help!!

Hi there!

I'd say the 18L is the perfect commuter tool like you describe. Best trolley handle, the looks and form factor, the build quality, etc. You could go for the V10F but if you mention bumpy roads and high speeds and carrying bags to a hotel, an 18 incher seems better (also the 18L is faster, V10F is 40 max at high battery).

But 50km at 30km/h is about the range of a 1000Wh battery. So if range is very important, you have to go for the msuper X due to battery size.

The Ninebot One Z doesn't seem to have a very good form factor for commuting (carrying on a train), because it's so heavy.

So the 18L seems perfect for you if you can live with the battery. Especially if you focus on your normal use case instead of edge cases (unless big range is a huge part for you, then the bigger batteries are a must. The msuper X isn't a bad wheel exactly:efeeec645d:).

TLDR: Your post screams 18L, unless you really, really want the biggest range available, then it has to be the msX.

Thank you so much for your answer. 

I do really like the ks18L and I don't think that I will ride at 30km/h the whole ride and 50km seems fine to me. 

Is 1000wh really is 50km when your are using the wheel normally(normal acceleration/braking)?

MSuper X seems to be heavier and I have some doubt regarding the build quality and components quality compared to Kingsong.

I heard the difference between the weight of 18l and msx is only about 1.5kg. But that the ks18l feels lighter because the weight is distributed better and that the msx is top heavy

Do you ride a bicycle with a speedometer and odometer on it?

If so, then you can get an accurate idea of what factors cause large power losses. Most of these factors can be mollified by simple rider behavior changes. However, you wouldn't see high power consumption because your wheel does the work for you!

If you take your bike and ride it around in such a way that you aren't breathing hard, then that'd also be a good way to ride your wheel if you wanted to extend your range. However, riding your bike in such a way that makes you breathing hard is also valuable as that shows you what to avoid.

For me, 100% of the actions I do that make me breathing hard are also the actions that make my wheel's wattage spike, in order of highest consumption to lowest.

--Don't go up hills fast.

--Don't accelerate hard from, well, anything.

--Don't go faster than about 22mph.

--Don't fully stop at every stop sign (hehe).

--Don't brake hard.

--Don't brake downhill.

--Don't slow down around turns which require you to accelerate back up.

If you don't absolutely need the 50km range then you can ride the 18L aggressively most of the time offroad; otherwise the Gotways that have 1600wh are the only game in town (apologies to the KS18s).

Honestly, I'd lean towards the KS18s OR two wheels.

In my experience a big wheel and a small wheel works best.

7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Do you ride a bicycle with a speedometer and odometer on it?

There is also the idea of wind resistance, with bicycles it can account for a 70% increase in efficiency to be more aerodynamic. If you ride into the wind like a wall without your hands infront of you as a wind foil, you will use more power and get less mileage.

4 hours ago, Pierre-Edouard Goriaux said:

Hello all

I am a esk8 rider (currently have two dual motor setups: one longboard and one mountainboard) 

I am looking for an EUC because of the bumpy roads of Montreal and also because I want a commute solution during the winter (potentially in the snow)
I want a wheel reliable and powerful. 

I usually ride at an average speed of 25 and regularly hit 40/45 km/h with my boards. Main issue with the esk8s is the range, the ease to travel with and the comfort. 

I am travelling every week to another city by train and I want something easy to travel with and then to commute from the hotel to my workplace but also to ride in the national park close to my location (off-road). Range needed: 50km min.

I have shortlisted:
- Ninebot Z10
- Kingsong 18L
- Gotway msuper x
- Imotion V10f

According to you what would be the best wheel to begin with, the easiest to travel with and the most durable and weather friendly ?

For each here are my personal pros/cons:

- Ninebot Z10: heaviest wheel! 5 kilos less and this would be my instant buying. Is it realistic to think I could take the train with it every 3 days ? I also like the app and totallyib love with the design.)
- Kingsong 18L (my favorite right now because of the weight, the size and the power. Am I missing anything?) Despite the fact there is no quality apps, I only heard bad thing about the trolley. Anything I am missing ?
- Gotway msuper x: more powerful but I heard mitigated reviews and quality issues with gotway, also no quality apps 
- Imotion V10f: I like the quality and app. Only thing retaining me is the overheating issues, max speed lower than in other models and the weight 

Feel free to correct me or add anything based on you experience

Thank you for your help!!

The inmotion V10F will be your most portable of those at 45 lbs, and due to the winter riding wont OVERLOAD even if they dont replacethe control board like they should. It is a joy to ride and extremely stable on sand up to 2” deep, so it will be good for snow. Can you get snow bicycle tyres? Get em if you can.Although the V10F is 16” it is as tall as the Z10 and KS18L so it will be just as good as the snow gets deeper as those other three 18”+ vehicles

The InMotion speed has been bumped up to 45 kmph by other apps such as Wheellog (download from the forum link for best results), and Darknessbot which is available on ios only. I also think the V10F will give you a better ride because when you lean to go, it goes, the Kingsong 18” wheels have this slight delay then an overcompensation to get going from a stop. That may be a bit too much play for riding in snow while starting from a stop in an intersection. The KS18’s are a bit like an overexuberant goat in their take offs.

The rest of those machines are great long distance rides Msuper, and ks18L and in Segway case great terrain obstacle vehicles, but none are as portable and fun as the V10F. Get the bigger battery, you wont be disappointed by that.

2 hours ago, Pierre-Edouard Goriaux said:

Thank you so much for your answer. 

I do really like the ks18L and I don't think that I will ride at 30km/h the whole ride and 50km seems fine to me. 

Is 1000wh really is 50km when your are using the wheel normally(normal acceleration/braking)?

MSuper X seems to be heavier and I have some doubt regarding the build quality and components quality compared to Kingsong.

You may be going 25 with an eboard due to its susceptibility to potholes etc, but 25 is slower than usual bicycle speed, it will seem slow soon after you start riding. 30 or 35 is a more realistic cruising speed with a EUC, especially with a more stable 18 incher (of course only when you are on a free bike path or road, not city commutes with lots of intersections and so on). So I'd plan for that. If you go slower, you'll get more out of the wheel, so then you get an unexpected bonus.

Range depends greatly on your weight, but with something like 80-85kg rider, I've found that if you consider 80% of the battery capacity usable (20% when standing still is very close to 0% under load, and the wheel will be very slow and beeping at 20%), you'll use something like 15-16Wh/km if you're going between 25 and 30 (maybe closer to 30). For the 18L, that gives you an estimate of 1036Wh*80%/16Wh/km = 51.8km. So that's roughly what you can expect before the wheel becomes unusably slow - a certain 50km of range at "normal" speeds.

I would not worry too much about saving battery by doing conservative braking and accelerating and such things. Battery usage is overwhelmingly dependent on wind resistance, so it only depends on your speed. You can do mountain rides with lots of strenuous climbs with very high stress on the wheel, and still use less battery for the same distance simply because you're riding slower.

The reason I think the 18L is better for you than the msX is mainly I wouldn't want to have to use the msuper's trolley handle and carrying it in a train and such things. The 18L seems more ergonomic and comfortable for this kind of stuff. I'm not sure exactly why, but if think "reliable commute", KS always comes to my mind. I think they're just easier to carry and non-ride when you need it due to their form factors. Also with snow (road salt?) I'd rather have a 18L than a msX (I'm really disappointed by how they simply glued the LEDs to the inside of the shell where it's exposed to the elements with the msX, that just seems a bit lame). That being said, minor complaints aside, the msuper X is still a great wheel, and if you were going for a long range wheel, I'd definitely recommend it. You can't really go wrong with any of the mentioned wheels, the question is just: which one is the most pleasant for your use case. From the above wheels, I think that's the 18L (or maybe the V10F, but I like the 18L better).

The V10F is a 16 incher, which is considered the best allrounder size. If you want to put more emphasis on a easily carryable and smaller wheel, I wouldn't rule out the 16S too. It won't give you the desired range with its 840Wh (more like 40-45km) but maybe if you get that and a long range 1600Wh Gotway for distance tours... just another option:efee47c9c8:

To be honest I wouldn't be tempted to go at 50kmh even if the wheel is theoretically capable of it. To many things to go wrong and cause a wipeout which at that speed would be potentially serious. I don't know how quick an e-board stops but if some moron pulls out of a turning in front of you or someone with their head plugged into a phone does something stupid a wheel is going to take a lot of stopping from 50kmh. And an out of control wheel at that speed weighing in at 50lbs bouncing along after you have part company from it could do a lot of damage. 

Stopping power depends to a large extent on the peak power of the motor, you are choosing from amongst the most powerful wheels available so whatever you select is going to be as goos as its possible to get but still ... be careful out there....

Not tried the Z10 but have ridden an 18L and its silky smooth, lovely ride. And welcome to the world of the EUC, you won't regret whatever you get, its so much fun. 

52 minutes ago, Pierre-Edouard Goriaux said:

Thanks all for your answers, I am ordering the KS18L :)

You Have made the right choice!   ?

The KS18L feels as light as the V10, and eventually is faster. It is the 2nd 30mph EUC from Kingsong, so the kinks have been worked out with the engineering. It rides just as flowingly as the V10, and the bluetooth speakers are much louder and clearer. The KS16 and KS18s are probably the vehicles that InMotion had in mind when they wanted to make an over 20mph wheel, and the only thing better about the V10 seems to be the motor noise, and the headlight.

15 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

You Have made the right choice!   ?

The KS18L feels as light as the V10, and eventually is faster. It is the 2nd 30mph EUC from Kingsong, so the kinks have been worked out with the engineering. It rides just as flowingly as the V10, and the bluetooth speakers are much louder and clearer. The KS16 and KS18s are probably the vehicles that InMotion had in mind when they wanted to make an over 20mph wheel, and the only thing better about the V10 seems to be the motor noise, and the headlight.

Just keep in mind that it's only a 30mph wheel for the first 5-minutes of riding :laughbounce2:

But yeah, the 18L is a nice machine for sure ?

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just keep in mind that it's only a 30mph wheel for the first 5-minutes of riding :laughbounce2:

But yeah, the 18L is a nice machine for sure ?

Oh how would you know? I’ve never seen you break 24mph anyway. ?

Big LSD video coming soon.  ?️?️‍?️   ?

LSD = Long Speed Distance - in this case... sorry hippies.

Archived