Riding 14 vs 18 in wheels

johnc415

Hi,

Wanted to pose a question to the riders who have experience riding or owning both an 14 and 18in wheel. In your experience, what are the difference/nuances of riding each one? I thought I'd be able to hop on my 18 GW MSuper and be lighting up the roads but I found myself actually having to almost re-learn riding the wheel. This is after gaining good command of my GW 14 MCM2s. Any pointers/tips/warnings?? Thanks! @john eucist @jason mcneil @vee73 @Gimlet

John

Just set off at a reasonable speed and cover some distance, you'll soon get used to the reduction in manoeuvrability but even then you'll neve be able to ride so slowly or turn as tightly as you do on the 14".

When I swap out my 10" for a 16 or the 18 I often take two attempts to set off at first just because they are so different. :)

I am surprised -- I have an 18" wheel and tried a 16" firewheel and after a few 'get on' tries, I could just ride it without trouble even though the feel was quite different. Perhaps the firmware is very different on the gotways? I can hardly imagine that 14" should be such a big difference?

Wow.  I even felt like I had to (almost) relearn after changing my tire pressure from 30psi to 45psi.  Amazing how a small change makes a big difference.   Thanks @Gimlet for explaining some of the differences between wheel sizes. 

I don't ride my 14-inch wheel much anymore but in general I agree it's more maneuverable than a 16-inch as you'd expect. 

The control board can make a big difference too. When I went riding with @RichieV and his 16-inch IPS I really liked the responsiveness of its control board, it keeps you solid upright. The Firewheel is a little "loose" going over bumps, even in sport mode, compared to the IPS. But the Firewheel is super comfortable for long rides because of the flat pedals and soft contoured sides. 

Archived