New IPS S5 has triple redundancy!

eddiemoy

I have taught myself to read all advertisements with a decent amount of scepticism. Based on that and the discussion in another thread, it is possible that there is no actual redundancy involved with the S5, other than perhaps the battery. The pics you attached talk about dual motor for added torque, and dual control board for 50% the load on components compared to a regular unicycle. That means they work together at all times. That is not redundancy, it is sharing the workload. If one motor or control board mosfet fails, will the S5 be able to bypass the broken system that normally makes the tire stuck, or will it still work at 50% power? Either way, not true redundancy, but a shared workload.

Which might still be a great step towards better reliability! Too bad the performance is a bit outdated already.

Yeah, that looks like just marketing talk. And that text is very poorly written. Full of typos and some of the sentences are extremely incoherent. Doesn’t give any feeling of reliability. 

Looks like IPS is not in the game anymore. This wheel has a few nice ideas, but failed to prove (so far) that it actually is more secure. This is a good competitor to the 9b1 S2, though. 

This is being discussed elsewhere too... And the fact is it will be nearly impossible to guarantee safety on a unicycle!

Even if all of the redundancy is there, burning out a MOSFET and "locking" one of the motors will still result in a "skin-pavement interaction."

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I have taught myself to read all advertisements with a decent amount of scepticism. Based on that and the discussion in another thread, it is possible that there is no actual redundancy involved with the S5, other than perhaps the battery. The pics you attached talk about dual motor for added torque, and dual control board for 50% the load on components compared to a regular unicycle. That means they work together at all times. That is not redundancy, it is sharing the workload. If one motor or control board mosfet fails, will the S5 be able to bypass the broken system that normally makes the tire stuck, or will it still work at 50% power? Either way, not true redundancy, but a shared workload.

Which might still be a great step towards better reliability! Too bad the performance is a bit outdated already.

It does look like they put two separate motor coils in there.  Not sure how it will work.  the app shows two motors and two batteries.  it is still interesting and will wait to see more info.

• 4 weeks later...

It's for sale at the Rockwheel Store on aliexpress. Only $850 for the 518wh version. 30 degree max incline reported. I'd love to see Marty Backe give it the stress test

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/IPS-electric-unicycle-S5-intelligent-balance-vehicle-single-wheel-walking-thinking-vehicle-dual-motor-dual-battery/1748730_32888155040.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.7ca243fazwLqrA

Archived