Is this normal for 1.3.5?

Jdestef

Ok so I really dont like 1.3.5 right now. 

I don't have the whine, but the feel and control is ridiculous.

So I got my new mobo back finally and got it installed and keyed. It had 1.3.4 on it so I immediately went to 1.3.5. 

The unit loves to tilt forward and backwards excessively. Making slow turns, the peddles tile forward a LOT.

Standing on it w one leg and going back and forth causes the unit to want to tilt forward and backwards with the movement a lot. 

Is this normal?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried both ends of the spectrum and frankly I could hardly notice a difference. I only had about 10 mins to ride before I had to catch a train. Gonna try more in the garage tonight. Does it sound like any malfunction you've ever heard of?

I'm familiar w the firmness settings. I have a 1.2.3 ninebot that behaves correctly. I don't find this current 1.3.5 oddness to be very mushy. I describe it more like "unpredictable" or unstable.  It could just be the new riding algorithm but based on all the positive 1.3.5 feedback I expected something different!

This is exactly why we need to be able to downgrade firmware... ugh.  AFAIC, this 1.3.5 NB is not rideable.   After riding it some more now that I'm at home, the pedals tilt forward at times for no apparent reason. Not quickly or anything, it just apparently thinks tilting forward is what would be ideal for the moment or something, so it kind of just mushes forward.  During slow turns, sometimes the pedals tilt back so far I have literally dragged the BACK of the pedal on the cement, and sometimes they tilt forward just as far - no rhyme or reason.   I've adjusted the range of firmness from min to max with no real change in behavior.

What physical position was the wheel in when the firmware was updated?  Does the gyroscope have absolute orientation capability or does it get calibrated at some point during the firmware update?

7 minutes ago, musk said:

What physical position was the wheel in when the firmware was updated?  Does the gyroscope have absolute orientation capability or does it get calibrated at some point during the firmware update?

The wheel was as upright as a casually parked wheel would be.

I've recalibrated a few times with no effect.

Update:  I've found a correlation to the odd behavior.   This occurs 100% of the time:

Left turns = the pedals want to tip forward significantly.
Right turns = the pedals tilt back (which I believe is normal 1.3.X firmware behavior).

So... why the heck does my unit behave different based on the direction of a turn?!?

I've "recalibrated" at least 10 times. It's either not working, or something else is haywire.

I know, silly question, but are you sure the MB went back in exactly as the old one came out?  Orientation, etc...  Again, sorry for asking, but the sensors are sensitive to how they are standing.  I don't think that's it, but ruling stuff out.

This also got into my mind - but imho with the 9bot one has no real chance to mount the mobo wrong. But all very imho and practically it could be very different. However - if the mobo sits fast and solid as the original was before get it exchanged (again ;(  ) and don't fuss around and loose time. A 9bot is expensive enough to get good aftersales.

2 hours ago, DangerousDick said:

How about riding it backwards - does the directional issue difference change?  No need to actually go backward, just mount the other way around ;)

Yeah if i ride it reverse, the same effect, just left/right swapped.

On 13/01/2016 at 11:35 PM, SuperSport said:

After setting to 0, be sure you shut down and power back up. Check the app and verify the setting held. 9 is REALLY mushy, you won't like that. 

There should be a BIG difference between 9 & 0. 

9 is pretty cool, you just need to trust your NB. Tilting forward is such a fun :) But sure, it feels more stable to ride on 0. Everything in between is just in between. I always wanted all or none, so 0 and 9 are my two favorites :)

On 13/01/2016 at 0:16 AM, Jdestef said:

This is exactly why we need to be able to downgrade firmware... ugh.  AFAIC, this 1.3.5 NB is not rideable.   After riding it some more now that I'm at home, the pedals tilt forward at times for no apparent reason. Not quickly or anything, it just apparently thinks tilting forward is what would be ideal for the moment or something, so it kind of just mushes forward.  During slow turns, sometimes the pedals tilt back so far I have literally dragged the BACK of the pedal on the cement, and sometimes they tilt forward just as far - no rhyme or reason.   I've adjusted the range of firmness from min to max with no real change in behavior.

This is weird, even on mode 9. I'm happy I haven't upgraded mine yet.

Well, we all agree something is messed up :)

NinebotUS had me perform a "manual calibration"

Basically you turn the ninebot on, pick it up and let it spin/beep until it turns off.  Turn it back on, repeast 3x.

Sadly, it had no effect on the left/right turning issues. :(

Wondering if I performed the manual calibration correctly.

1 hour ago, Jdestef said:

Basically you turn the ninebot on, pick it up and let it spin/beep until it turns off.  Turn it back on, repeast 3x.

This is really strange.  If there is a hidden calibration mode, customers could accidentaly make changes to "calibration" through these actions.  Picking up the wheel 3 times seems like something that could easily happen when a person is learning.  I know that personally during my learning faze, I picked up the machine at least twice in succession just because I didn't understand why the wheel was spinning.  3 pickups isn't out of the question.

• 1 month later...
On ‎23‎.‎01‎.‎2016 at 1:21 AM, Jdestef said:

I think the manual calibration had a few other steps involved.

From Ninebot:

1.Take the Ninebot One vertically off the groud. Take care and keep it steady.
2.press power button and the wheel will spin strongly,hold it steady.
3.when you hear a sound of warning(di,di,di) and the leds flashing red, - press the power button and keep holding the button until the warning disapear.
4. long press again and keep holding the power button till you hear the Ninebot to warning again.
5. Release the power button, and you will see a flash of yellow light which meaning your Ninebot is carlibrating.
6. you will hear the warning(di,di,di) with red flashing again - that means your calibration is finished,and the Ninebot telling you that it is off the ground which is not a good idea. So put your Ninebot on the ground and see if your it is right calibrated now.

Such an unusual way of calibration. Lifting the Ninebot while powered on is always not a good idea.

9 minutes ago, Vik's said:

you will hear the warning(di,di,di) with red flashing again - that means your calibration is finished,and the Ninebot telling you that it is off the ground which is not a good idea.

I believe they mean to lift it off the ground BEFORE you power it on.  This way it will not try to leave black marks on your carpet.

Thank you @Vik's for this update!  That cured my Current Roll Angle being off by almost 5 degrees.  It's now ZERO "0".  Thank you very much!

Because of OCD, it has always driven me crazy!!!

TIP:  Hold the Wheel Off the Ground and VERY Tightly between your thighs while doing this to hold it steady.  Don't let the wheel touch your pant leg or it might leave a mark, or worse, tangle up and pull you in.  :o  Keep it as level as possible forward/back AND Sideways while it's calibrating.

After I put the trolley and parking stand, now my bot won't stay still when idling, I guess it's because it's heavier on the front, so it wants to keep moving forward. Calibrating from the app doesn't do anything, will manual calibration helps? 

Just now, Vanquiz said:

After I put the trolley and parking stand, now my bot won't stay still when idling, I guess it's because it's heavier on the front, so it wants to keep moving forward. Calibrating from the app doesn't do anything, will manual calibration helps? 

I'm not sure I understand.  I've got Trolley and Parking Stand too, but mine will stand up straight and sit still while on my wire holder.  Do you mean when you lean it against a wall or something?  Because if that's what you mean, then the weight up front will indeed try to make it run off and calibrating will not help that.  I normally power it down and lean it against one foot of the parking stand and wall.  The stand alone is NOT steady enough.  Stupid Design.

20160224_183528737_iOS.jpg.33139ca4d884a

Archived