esaj

Headache

195 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Season premiere ... long wait and still no noodity.  :cry2:  Even in "Marvel's Iron Fist" the two lead actors had a bit of an interesting go at it.  :whistling:  I think I might have saw part of a nipple, or maybe it was wishful thinking... :innocent1:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Posted (edited)

Experimental motor-controller for the robot:

Di4kxB9.jpg?1

Or, just the board for it... I rushed on the design over the weekend and milled a couple of versions (rushed too, with slightly too high feed rates ;)). While the milling quality is OK (definitely not the best, but at least all the 0.5mm traces are intact and looking good), I played around using 60-degree bits, and didn't realize the ground plane got cut on a couple of places. Guess I'll need some ugly jumpers :P  There's some rough edges here and there, but I'd prefer not to sand this, as those thin traces can get easily removed in the process (been there, done that ;)), and jumping them afterwards might be problematic, as they're covered by SO16-chips.

Plus, I'm not 100% certain whether it actually works even if I make no mistakes ;)

Edited by esaj

Posted (edited)

At times I feel that I haven't learned much anything over the last about 1-1.5 years of fiddling around with this stuff... but a funny thing, last night while I was going through my workspace and cleaning up shelves, I started putting failed or otherwise obsolete circuits into a box. Just a quick picture of the of contents, missing a bunch of boards... from these, I've already stripped any easily reusable electronic and mechanical parts, like socketed ICs, some connectors, TO-220 heatsinks and such:

86BhBIQ.jpg

In total (all not shown in the picture) I have a good two-three dozens (at least 20-30, maybe more) boards that are basically trash now (either didn't work as planned from the start or were just some testing/otherwise became obsole), some of which represent tens of hours of work from simulations through breadboard testing (not always, I've sometimes been brave enough to just skip that, although it's not always a good thing :P) to layout / board design to milling (not for the vero/strip-boards, of course ;)) to soldering and final testing. Not to mention all the stuff that never was actually built on boards, just tested on simulations and/or breadboarding. They, or at least some of them, could be seen as failures, but I (like to ;)) think they were just necessary steps in the way to learn this stuff, and the financial input on those isn't that much. In my personal opinion, the time invested has been worth it so far, although I'm still a very far cry from someone who really knows this stuff.

Of course on top of those, I've got a bunch of circuits and boards that work as meant and are currently waiting to be finished, mostly still waiting proper encasing (like the reflow-oven control-board & the SSR, I'm still slightly worried about the mains AC-part, although the SSR is self-encased and the rest is just mechanical wiring :P), or already encased and in use (like the continuity meter, motor controller for the CNC, the ATX-power supply, the function generator, the battery powered PSU, calibration unit for the desk-multimeter etc...) I won't list them all here, those of you have had the interest and patience to read my ramblings probably are already familiar with them, or they weren't "important" enough to write about.

I had a talk with a friend tonight about the current guitar pedal circuitry, although, he didn't exactly know much about electronics, but tried the pedal built into a breadboard and really liked it (especially the fact that it has the "softness" control and doesn't go all the way into "full distortion" when not needed), and was really interested after I explained what I still want to improve... looks like I'll have to build at least two or three pedals (three if I want one for myself  :D) , barring of course that I get around to finish the design  :P 

Edited by esaj

9 hours ago, esaj said:

I've sometimes been brave enough to just skip that, although it's not always a good thing :P) to layout / board design to milling (not for the vero/strip-boards, of course ;)) to soldering and final testing. Not to mention all the stuff that never was actually built on boards, just tested on simulations and/or breadboarding. They, or at least some of them, could be seen as failures, but I (like to ;)) think they were just necessary steps in the way to learn this stuff, and the financial input on those isn't that much. In my personal opinion, the time invested has been worth it so far, 

Why do you have to live so far away? :crying:

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Why do you have to live so far away? :crying:

Why does it matter?

Posted (edited)

I managed to encase the prototype distortion board for testing purposes, currently it has four different distortions based on different diodes for clipping (LEDs, silicon diodes, 1P60 "supposedly germanium-diodes, but could be just Chinese Schottkys" and a schottky diodes),  plus a fifth different type of distortion, if you count the op-amp overdrive. It looks like I'm coming down with fever, so I'll keep this short.

I recorded 5 tracks with different distortions on the computer, although I have very little experience with audio editing (using Audacity), so I just ended up laying the tracks on top of each other and cutting from one track to the next (and on some places, laying two tracks on top of each other)... the song is not the kind that plays well with heavy distortion, yet I left that there too, and the timing isn't very exact all the time (should have used a metronome :rolleyes:), so sometimes it feels like the song "shifts" a bit jumping from one track to another... probably should also have learned to use crossfades between the tracks instead of abruptly cutting from one track to the next :P. Maybe next time, if such comes. The end result could be probably called "somewhat annoying" at least at times ;), but the idea was just to show a few different types of distortions the pedal can make (actually, I didn't play around much with the soft-setting or tones in this one, so at least the 1P60- and schottky-tracks sound somewhat similar, although if listening to the original tracks, they do have their differences). Anyway, here it is:

You'll probably recognize the song...I also did some parts of "Fear of the Dark" earlier, but ran into troubles both playing it (I can't keep up with all the parts anymore, although I've played it a kazillion times in the past :D) as well as mixing it, so just threw it away in the end.

Edited by esaj

On 4/9/2017 at 8:41 AM, esaj said:

Why does it matter?

Just would be nice to have hands on advice on the acm project!

2 hours ago, esaj said:

You'll probably recognize the song...I also did some parts of "Fear of the Dark" earlier, but ran into troubles both playing it (I can't keep up with all the parts anymore, although I've played it a kazillion times in the past :D) as well as mixing it, so just threw it away in the end.

Stairway to Heaven! A classic! Your distortion tracks sound excellent!

:w00t2: Heeey that's quite good and cool effects too!

On 2017-04-09 at 6:41 AM, esaj said:

Why does it matter?

We could all come over to visit, jam, and check out all the electronics doodads!  Afterwards we can go head out for some Lutefisk!

57 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Stairway to Heaven! A classic! Your distortion tracks sound excellent!

46 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2: Heeey that's quite good and cool effects too!

It still has lots of details to work out, but it's getting there, slowly... :P

We could all come over to visit, jam, and check out all the electronics doodads!

Not that much to see, unless you like visiting junk yards in general ;)

Afterwards we can go head out for some Lutefisk!

I had to look up what the hell is lutefisk :P   Never had any myself, if you do, tell me if it's any good, looks disgusting ;)

Posted (edited)

I love junkyards!!! :w00t2:  Okay @Rehab1, we gonna take a road trip to Finland to visit!  Scratching lutefisk off the bucket list!  Maybe it's more of a Norwegian thing. Eh @Vik's?

Once you get your KS16, we can all go out for a roll in search of the closest KFC for some fried chicken!  :whistling:

Although maybe you're not missing anything there... :barf:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3948516/KFC-customer-finds-MAGGOTS-wriggling-inside-chicken-drumstick.html

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-no-KFC-in-Italy-Sweden-Norway-Finland-Luxembourg-Switzerland-Maldives

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Okay @Rehab1, we gonna take a road trip to Finland to visit

Road trip to Finland.... No way! Gassing up the G650! What's your nearest airport, YVR? :P I am assuming @esaj's nearest port is either HEL or EFHK.

As for KFC and Marvin's maggot filled drumstick, it sounds like a MacDonald's hot coffee spill litigation gimmick! Anyway I prefer the food at Chef and Sommelier.  :thumbup:

Edited by Rehab1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I love junkyards!!! :w00t2:  Okay @Rehab1, we gonna take a road trip to Finland to visit!  Scratching lutefisk off the bucket list!  Maybe it's more of a Norwegian thing. Eh @Vik's?

Once you get your KS16, we can all go out for a roll in search of the closest KFC for some fried chicken!  :whistling:

Although maybe you're not missing anything there... :barf:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3948516/KFC-customer-finds-MAGGOTS-wriggling-inside-chicken-drumstick.html

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-no-KFC-in-Italy-Sweden-Norway-Finland-Luxembourg-Switzerland-Maldives

We might need a "bit"  bigger batteries considering that map to reach the nearest... Maybe we can haul a trailer with extra packs behind? ;)  Or just take Rehab's private jet.

26 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Road trip to Finland.... No way! Gassing up the G650! What's your nearest airport, YVR? :P I am assuming @esaj's nearest port is either HEL or EFHK.

JYV / EFJY, about 25km north ;)

10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Totally norwegian and it is disgusting :)

Posted (edited)

Experimental motor-controller for the robot:

Di4kxB9.jpg?1

Or, just the board for it... I rushed on the design over the weekend and milled a couple of versions (rushed too, with slightly too high feed rates ;)). While the milling quality is OK (definitely not the best, but at least all the 0.5mm traces are intact and looking good), I played around using 60-degree bits, and didn't realize the ground plane got cut on a couple of places. Guess I'll need some ugly jumpers :P  There's some rough edges here and there, but I'd prefer not to sand this, as those thin traces can get easily removed in the process (been there, done that ;)), and jumping them afterwards might be problematic, as they're covered by SO16-chips.

Plus, I'm not 100% certain whether it actually works even if I make no mistakes ;)

I finished assembling this new controller for the self-balancing robot this weekend, but all didn't go as planned:

FhUJA9f.jpg?1

In that picture, the other side is still missing the mosfets and the motor phase-wires, but everything else is there. Didn't post a schematic, but basically there's just a Cd4053 analog switch IC between the Arduino PWM-pins and other pins selecting the motor direction (actually which side of each half-bridge gets the PWM-signal), that's connected to a HIP4082 H-bridge mosfet gate-driver (two of each, because there are two separate H-bridges for the two motors). The gate driver is the thing that actually switches the mosfets on and off, and handles raising the voltage high enough on the high-side mosfets (although it needs an external diode and a capacitor on each high-side), so the component count is much less than on the other designs I had before. Rest of the components on the driver-side are just capacitors, resistors and diodes, limiting gate currents and protecting from high-voltage spikes and such. On the right side of the board, there's an Arduino Nano (on the other side of the boad), a 5V regulator and some bypass capacitors. The ugly jump-wires are there because I needed to connect the ground-plane around :P

I wrote a small software for testing that the motor drivers work as intended, simply running the motors back and forth, and it worked fine in the test bench:

UiYs1W6.jpg

Not too much space for the heatsinks again, so I had to bend them a little (the heatsinks can't touch or the drains of the mosfets get shorted together ;)). They didn't heat up enough for me to feel any heat when touching them, and quick measurements showed that things should work as intended.

9yby7B6.jpg

The breadboard with pots for tuning the PID-values and the battery (a 3S LiPo, mostly because the HIP4082 gate-drivers need 10V minimum) plus some wiring is still missing at this point. The wires going to the middle-"shelf" are for the MPU-6050 -gyro/accelerometer on a break-out board, that I've hotglued in place.

I got it running and was trying to get the PID tuned for it to stay balanced for maybe about an half an hour or slightly more, until suddenly... *SNAP* and a puff of smoke comes from under the board. The Arduino Nano still stayed powered (don't remember if the other motor still kept running also), so I was pretty sure it was the gate-driver IC that gave up.  The LiPo was behind a 5A fuse (it's the RC-kind with separate balancing connector, so the battery itself has no protections whatsoever ;)), so no need to panic.

After dismantling everything and removing the board, it was actually a CD4053 analog switch (I've used them to select the high/low -side mosfets in the H-bridge, plus they also saved my ass since I couldn't run the traces in single layer directly to the HIP4082 without using a ton of jump-wires) that had burned a small hole in the middle of the case. There was about 6 ohms of resistance between the power supply-pin and the ground of the chip, so it was pretty clear what had given up.

Not sure why the chip blew up though. It's only using the 5V power line (shared with the Arduino and the CD4053's, coming from an LM1117 linear regulator), has it's own 100n bypass and the input/output pins are only connected logic-level input/outputs (and the unused ones are grounded), so there isn't much current going there and the voltages shouldn't bounce around a lot (CD4000's should be good for up to around 20V). I suspect I may have damaged it during assembly (overheating during soldering or ESD), but can't be sure. Once I get around to replace it (not tonight anymore, need to head for bed :P), I'll see if it does it again, if it does, there's something wrong with my circuitry in general... The other motor has the same circuitry (with slightly different layout though), but that still seems to be working.

I'm not even pissed, as this thing was practically designed off the top of my head without too much breadboard testing, pretty much just skimming through the datasheets of the chips, so the fact that it even worked in the first place was nice :D

Edited by esaj