Ninebot one shutting off while riding

Curse

I have absolutely loved my ninebot one e+.  I bought one for myself and one for my son.  Well, tonight, I took it about a half mile to get my mail.  On the way back, I was driving on smooth, straight pavement when the power just went dead, causing me to plunge forward at around 10mph.  I cut the hell out of myself and hopefully didn't ruin my favorite tattoo.  Has this happened to anyone else.  I am now worried that this could lead to serious injury for my son or myself.  It also broke the handle off, even though it was tucked into the ninebot properly.

It is a problem that comes up from time to time.  The question that is going to come up is if you are sure that you didn't just topple the gyro.  I took a really good fall that gave me some scars around the 400 mile mark.  I was pretty sure I toppled it, although since then, the unit doesn't seem to allow me to run as fast (or it is my brain that has adjusted to the fact that I have to be willing to fall at whatever speed I am running at).  I now have 650 miles.

It is a risk riding on a single wheel.  I personally think Ninebot is bat shit crazy to release a model that goes to nearly 20 MPH (the P), and I think it will only be a short period of time before a distributor is sued out of business through injury.  Once you take a fall at 10 MPH on pavement, you see the potential for grave injury.  Someone will die on one of these very soon.  Likely because they fall into traffic, and if you are hurdling 20 MPH, you won't be able to control where your body lands...

What's next?

You need to open up the unit, entirely, and look at the battery, the motherboard, and all the connections.  Look for obvious problems (burn marks, exposed wires, loose connections).  You'll probably want to order the $75 handle from the distributor and have that arrive before you do this (why open it up twice?).  If you see no problems, then ride it nice and slow for a while.  Build some confidence back in the unit.  If it fails again, you'll have less to worry about.  And if it fails again, then you'll need send the unit it, or just chunk it. 

I don't put a lot of faith in the shops to actually figure out what is wrong.  Only if they found a smoking gun would I ride a unit that failed more than once. 

It happened to me something like that climbing a street where the power bot is turned off, jumping ahead. I think this happened to 40% of the battery, so now, in the middle of his power, did not exceed 12 km / h.

I passed 600km recently driving through rain and dusty roads and the bot never failed me so far.

Are you living in a hot area? Overheating would be the only thing I could come up with based on your description. But that also would catch your attention as its beeping and tilting back hard before it shuts down.

@curse hope the injuries are minimal. Lately I'm hearing more and more Ninebot cutoffs for no reason ( I just bought 9bot a week ago). However this is not just for Ninebots. It could happen to almost any wheel ( may be Solo wheel and King Songs are exceptions...may be). Manufacturers are not taking these cut offs seriously. As I mentioned in the facebook, I suggest we start a separate sticky topic "Injuries by Brand" . There members post images of blood and wounds. The brand that gets more bloody pictures is the brand that we avoid. Hopefully this will bring attention to the manufacturers as this is really a bad publicity for them. 

The problem with this is that I suspect a percentage of these falls are people overpowering the unit and a lack of experience.  Since Ninebot seems to be the leader in the Western world, you'll have a lot more reports of injuries, as opposed to manufacturers who are mainly selling in the east.

If the wheel is truly "shutting off" then it's not just inexperience. I would hope that all the wheels with phone apps would be sending enough information back to help diagnose these issues and determine whether it's some sort of electrical or control failure. I'd want that a lot more than bluetooth speakers.

Did you happen to update to firmware 1.2.6 recently? @SirGeraint just recently posted that he ran into the same thing here. He may have broken a finger, and heading to the ER. Glad it wasn't more serious.

May need to send out a general forum warning if this might be the cause.

Sorry that it took me a while to respond.  I have been incredibly busy between owning my own business, to being the master of my lodge, to playing in 2 bands.  I am in the process of updating the firmware.  I was definitely riding the unit on a nice cool evening, paying close attention to everything,I had a 250 lumins forehead mounted headlight on.  I was cruising along at a medium speed, and suddenly the unit just went dead.  I fell forward and slammed the pavement, slicing open my elbow and really damaging my shoulder.  The image shows the road rash I got, but the shoulder hurts way worse.  I am beginning to feel better now, and all will be fine.  The reason the scab is gone on the bottom is from changing a light bulb and accidentally scraping it on the siding of the home (OUCH!) lol.  Until now, I have had nothing but fun riding the unit with my son.  My biggest fear would be seeing my son (who is better than me on even) have his turn off, as he slams into something concrete and really hurts himself.  I think we will be fine after the firmware update.  I asked my son to promise not to ride his until I took him to a sporting goods place tonight and got he and I both better gear for riding.  I was wearing knee protection that night, but not elbow, as you can see.  This was my fault.  I am going to buy us both bicycle helmets, knee and elbow pads and after we both inspect the units, we will have another go at them.  We had a wonderful time the other day taking them both to one of our favorite restaurants (round trip was 6 miles).  I thank the Gods that they held up for that trip, because there was traffic everywhere, and another fear of mine is the unit getting away from me, not due to my actions, and hitting a car or truck and hurting someone.  Well, ride safe my fellow ninebot friends.  I still love my ninebot, and cannot wait to jump back on it and go riding with my son soon!!!!

my cut.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Rotator, wondering what firmware you have on 9 bot 1 for the longest period on those 1700Km. 

Ninebot E with 1.2.2

I have had a lot of beeps and soft and hard tilt-backs.

But never a shutdown. Never an unexpected behaviour.

• 1 year later...

I have had my ninebot ONE for over a year now and I ABSOLUTELY enjoy it.

I was thinking about "bus+ninbot" instead of driving because it is so much fun to ride and so easy to carry around.

HOWEVER, about 10 days ago I had an incident where the nineboe one lost power all of a sudden. The unit was fully charged, and lost power while I was riding on a flat paved street. There was one beep right before it lost power and I went flying.

I have 780km on the machine and it has always been reliable. Now I am not going to ride it ever again because what if this happens while I am on a busy road. It could toss me into incoming traffic within one second. I started googling right after the incident and now I am sure this has happened more than once, so I will give up my nintbot one. I also want to post and let the others know about the risk that was not told by the company.

On 10/2/2015 at 9:38 AM, CarZin said:

The problem with this is that I suspect a percentage of these falls are people overpowering the unit and a lack of experience.  Since Ninebot seems to be the leader in the Western world, you'll have a lot more reports of injuries, as opposed to manufacturers who are mainly selling in the east.

Yeah i had mine cut out, on an upward slope. I  was running near it's top speed. and  i weigh 240lbs, so about 100kg?  it was already beeping.  then i kept on it,  it eventually powered off/browned out on me.  i'm guessing due to circuit protection.  But i ignored the warning, thinking i could maintain that state, and let it 'beep'.   never again.

I wound up jumping off as i felt it give out, and i landed flat footed, what felt like a torn ham string.  likely strained,  back on it after 2weeks of not being able to walk right.

in short.  if it beeps or vibrates, you are hitting some limit.   voltage/heat/amp limit..  don't ignore it, throttle back.

note* it didn't throttle back the peddles. .it just cut power in a similar fashion.  luckily my skateboard days paid off, and i think i got away with no real life threatening injury.

I'm already looking at a gotway acm+  ;)   i hear 30mph is uhhh   fun.  Even though  My kid and i have had these for less than a month.  Wife is almost able to make normal turns  (practice time is a key difference, especially with walls).

On ‎27‎-‎10‎-‎2015 at 11:49 AM, Rotator said:

Ninebot E with 1.2.2

I have had a lot of beeps and soft and hard tilt-backs.

But never a shutdown. Never an unexpected behaviour.

Ninebot E with firmware v.1.4.0

Now: 8268 km, 880h total run time.

Never an unexpected behaviour or shutdown (until now).

I have a 9b1 E+ with 4000km.

Last week it also started to shutdown suddenly, with no beep, no clue! When the battery is fully charged, it rides well. But when the battery get near 60% / 50% full, the 9b1 simply shutdown if I try to get more power. I´m really concerned and have no idea what´s going on!

Carlos

29 minutes ago, Xeprado2016 said:

I have a 9b1 E+ with 4000km.

Last week it also started to shutdown suddenly, with no beep, no clue! When the battery is fully charged, it rides well. But when the battery get near 60% / 50% full, the 9b1 simply shutdown if I try to get more power. I´m really concerned and have no idea what´s going on!

Carlos

seams like a BMS or batterie problem, try to measure your batterie pack, at certain percentages....or better each of the batteries!

Perhaps one or two of the cells is not able to deliver the needed amps anymore.....

On 2017-6-21 at 7:08 PM, KingSong69 said:

seams like a BMS or batterie problem, try to measure your batterie pack, at certain percentages....or better each of the batteries!

Perhaps one or two of the cells is not able to deliver the needed amps anymore.....

Thanks KingSong60. I believe you were right. 

I managed to replace my battery module for another one (from my wife´s 9b1 C+) and I was able to ride it perfectly! Then I put my battery module at her C+ and it shutdown after riding some miles. Becouse it is dificult to buy a battery replacement here in Brazil, I will try to fix my old one.

Anyone knows how to detect what cells are damaged and how to check if BMS is ok?

Keep in mind, this is the inherent risk, with ALL EUC.  The BMS is there to in this stage of development in 2 ways.

• 1 - Level charging of cells (which are 18650/3.7v  in design),
  • 2 - Even amperage discharge.
    • *Edit* Battery Temperature. <-- key feature btw...

Battery Info:
18650/3.7v x15 cells = 55.5v

What the BMS DOES NOT do for you:

•  Detection of failed cell.

To that, i think it would be nice if the BMS boards flagged a 'caution'.   Since cutout is a pretty severe cost.

Average life of LIPO Battary's.  Are about 1-2years, depending on use,  complete discharge of a LiPo can shorten and even cause premature failure of the battery cell, so if you get 1 year out of your battary,  i would recommend to invest in a 2nd replacement after the 1 year mark.  Similar to replacing your Car Alternator every 10 years, or getting new tires around 40k (I am assuming they are All season tires with an M+S rating, most tires have a warranty).  But same concept in short.  every component has an Meantime Before Failure (MTBF) :)

1radwerks has a great battary replacement option for the nb1's btw ;)

Edit* added Battery Temp,  I believe the mainboard can 'take action' based on temp readings. but the temp reading/sensor i believe is part of the BMS.

• 7 months later...

Old topic, but since I just experienced my first shutdown I thought I'd post it.  My ninebot one e is about 18 months old and I have 350 miles on it.  I was just finishing up a 4-5 mile run and cruising on level pavement at my usual 8mph when the bot stopped with no warning, throwing me onto the street.  I managed to tuck and roll but hit with my left hand first and broke my little finger, though I didn't know it at the time.

Having read about this problem I knew what happened so I immediately turned it back on and checked the stats - 108.7°F and 32% battery charge, so no obvious reason for the shutdown.  I then got back on and proceeded towards home (1/10 mile) at a slow speed, 3-4 mph.  It shutdown within 50 yards, no warning.  I was expecting it so I was able to step off with no problem. 

I got back on and repeated the process 3 or 4 more times before I got home - easy cruise at 3-4 mph for 15-30 seconds and then shutdown.  No beeps, no tilt-back, just locks the wheel and stops.  I don't know what firmware rev I'm on so I'll have to check that but I also intend to contact the dealer I bought it from to see if they have any other advice.

Archived