Riding Backwards.

Scott Henley

1 hour ago, scubadragosan said:

Thanks, Pico. You got a link to your video?

Just another tip btw.

The rear going leg position also controls the rate of turn. You will find some very interesting variations in this video with my female heroin gookgai.

There is a lot to learn by studying and mentally rehearsing other people's videos :)

Before learning a trick, I spend hours imagining myself doing the trick.

Another hint is to use a fence or a wall that you can hold on to for your first inches...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, LanghamP said:

I believe pendulums have the highest power requirements of any wheel act that we do.

200% In agreement. I can hear those FETs in the power section screaming for help!!!!

My GF fried one of those in 5 mins flat, while I was looking away doing my thing and her: Pendulums!

24hr Part from Digico and a soldering iron later and she was back in business.

Told her she was lucky she had a EUC surgeon as a  a BF!

20171212_071106_HDR-1.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 8:49 PM, LanghamP said:

While I would say just practice pendulums, I wonder if that's safe.

I am doing many of them almost every day since a year or two and never went down.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:33 PM, Mono said:

I am doing many of them almost every day since a year or two and never went down.

Nothing wrong in doing pendulum on  a modern HEALTHY wheel with Bluetooth.

As long as you keep track of the temperature with a software like Wheelog...

As you approach runaway temp. most wheel will give you a warning.

But then, they may not have the time, specially if you make a sudden movement triggering a large current surge. Not a good thing on a hot day.

The wise man will know intimately the temperature of his wheel... :)

The equivalent of knowing your blood pressure and heart rate for a human...

p.s. The situation is even worse on a half depleted battery or a battery with high internal resistance. Sudden surge of current induced by pendulum will quickly get you in cut out territory. Again not a good thing. ;)

I ALWAYS practice high surge manoeuvers on a nearly FULL battery. NEVER on two Bars left on a V5F.

Edited by pico

19 hours ago, pico said:

Nothing wrong in doing pendulum on  a modern HEALTHY wheel with Bluetooth.

As long as you keep track of the temperature with a software like Wheelog...

I quite rarely use the app when I ride.

19 hours ago, pico said:

I ALWAYS practice high surge manoeuvers on a nearly FULL battery. NEVER on two Bars left on a V5F.

Given that battery temperatures become >50ºC, I tend to do intense stuff not with full battery, because high temperatures are poison to a full battery. I don't know exactly though how much depletion 50ºC for an hour or so causes.

Edited by Mono

12 hours ago, Flying W said:

Nice Pico, shes doing very well! I'm 4 days (about hr and a half total) into learning backwards.  I just did my first 360 too, not on purpose or controlled,  and the shape of the circle was more like an ink blot haha. 

Way to go!  We all start with an ugly representation of the maneuver and then spend another two months perfecting and then say what was the fuss all about?... 

You seem to be a quick learner...It took me much longer than that, accompanied eventually by a splat or two! LOL

29 minutes ago, pico said:

You seem to be a quick learner...It took me much longer than that, accompanied eventually by a splat or two! LOL

Thank you for the kind words! I bought the euc to commute. Half outta necessity (could have gotten a scooter in guess) half because they looked so fun. I'm on it everyday. Somewhere around the 250 to 300 mile mark I started feeling good, then took my first fall in a sand trap haha. 

• 3 years later...
On 2/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, Rehab1 said:

This shot makes me cring! You don’t have to be traveling very fast to suffer a closed head injury. You tucked your head perfectly on that fall.

But do you think you should probably be riding faster than walking speeds before getting too worried about hitting your head badly? This is just my opinion and I do use gear and helmets but at some speeds I wouldn't say a helmet is always necessary. Just like when I'm out running, I don't' wear helmets. At a certain level of skill and at low speeds I feel you'd have to be drunk or very unathletic to fall and smash your head on the ground, on an EUC or not. Also injuries such as brain damage and concussions are not really prevented or reduced by most helmets in these types of accidents. Which is what I'd worry about the most. You could in fact be at higher risk of smashing your head and shaking your brain more if you are wearing a helmet in some scenarios especially if it's on the heavier side.

All that said. Helmets prevent skull splitting and surface level damage, as well as giving you the ability to slide on something beside your face and lessen the impact that way. At many speed ranges and collisions with other vehicles they save lives. Anytime you're going fast, practicing new skills or are at other wise high risk then gear up as much as possible. Dress for the slide not the ride, and all that. 

• Like 1