UK EUC rider stopped by police and given 6 points on driving license

guyr

11 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Test case being crowd funded in UK for electric scooter.

Seems rental electric scooters are legal, but not privately owned ones.

I seriously cannot get my head around this - the law is a bunch of arse to begin with and then the fact the police are so vigilant in enforcing it.  Are they on some sort of quota bonus system for tickets issued?  Meanwhile people are getting stabbed left right and center - 41,000 knife offences for the year ending March 2020.   That's a ridiculous number.

• Like 1

Alternative option is for a petition, which UK Parliament would then be legally obliged to have on agenda to debate.

The hurdle is the petition must have garnered a minimum of 100k signatures to signify enough public interest in the matter for attention.

Violence in UK has necessitated companies and products as in following video.

Illegal for general public to own one though.

Disturbing that there is such a need for these.

An attacker is not going to repeatedly attack a hard surface.  Head, neck, arms, major arteries etc remain large, exposed targets.  

Protection for the first unexpected blow(s) before defensive reactions.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:53 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

They are illegal because they're seen as a motor vehicle without insurance and you can't get insurance because they're seen as illegal. It's catch 22. It's the same thing with escooters and it's a ridiculous situation. I'd happily get insurance if it was available and it made me legal. We should have a central group that promotes how useful and economic these types of transport are.

Yes…But….. The companies who own all the rental scooters ( usually ridden by idiots who then dump them where ever the battery dies ) They are able to  get insurance, and presumably third party insurance…So, it does exist…it just isn’t made available to private owners..who are obviously going to be much more responsible as it is their own scooter. I think that is the way forward. The question needs to be asked…why is the insurance available for rental units…that are ridden by W unknown persons, of unknown age, unknown address and unknown ability? When it is not available to an identifiable individual who wishes to ride his or her own machine?

Actually, I had the misfortune to visit the U.K. last week, for the first time in five years.. What a sad little place…and, as an aside…where did all the English people go?  Even the evening  news and the TV adverts seem to present a completely non British narrative.   Given the number of stabby knife attacks, the alcohol and drugs problems, fraud, vandalism and robberies, I would have thought that the police..at least those who are not out raping and murdering people, would have something better to do than be out arresting people riding their own scooter or EUC. My condolences Brits…but I am glad I don’t have to live there. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 11:40 PM, Lex Smith said:

I seriously cannot get my head around this - the law is a bunch of arse to begin with and then the fact the police are so vigilant in enforcing it.  Are they on some sort of quota bonus system for tickets issued?  Meanwhile people are getting stabbed left right and center - 41,000 knife offences for the year ending March 2020.   That's a ridiculous number.

Sounds abut right. If it aint guns, its knives. If it aint knives its ball bats. If it aint bats its cars..  Human nature will not be changed, simply from lack of a certain kind of tool. We are pretty ingenious (or stupid) like that. See, we are more similar than we like to admit. People and places all over the world share the same problems, just different means of causing them. Im pretty sure I've located Eutopia tho. Its right here next to the pot of Gold beneath the rainbow and aside the fountain of youth. The caveat is its behind one of three doors and you must ride an euc to enter :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nostris said:

The question needs to be asked…why is the insurance available for rental units…that are ridden by W unknown persons, of unknown age, unknown address and unknown ability? When it is not available to an identifiable individual who wishes to ride his or her own machine?

Insurance is available to the rental units because they're limited to about 15mph so the riders are unlikely to damage other vehicles or kill people etc. It's a completely different thing to insure someone on a device capable of 40+mph, weighing 30+kg with no pedestrian friendly crumple zones and where the rider might not even have a driving license and might only having a rough idea of what the rules on the road are. Then if you consider these riders are riding along concentrating mainly on how they look in their go pro rather than at what's around them. I would love it if 3rd party insurance was available - maybe they could offer different prices depending on how fast and heavy your wheel was and perhaps offer discounts for those with a driving license and no claims discounts - a bit like any other vehicle insurance.

27 minutes ago, Nostris said:

Actually, I had the misfortune to visit the U.K. last week, for the first time in five years.. What a sad little place…and, as an aside…where did all the English people go?  Even the evening  news and the TV adverts seem to present a completely non British narrative.   Given the number of stabby knife attacks, the alcohol and drugs problems, fraud, vandalism and robberies, I would have thought that the police..at least those who are not out raping and murdering people, would have something better to do than be out arresting people riding their own scooter or EUC. My condolences Brits…but I am glad I don’t have to live there. 

Everywhere has good and bad places. I've lived in London for 40 years and I've never been murdered, stabbed, raped, vandalised or robbed though I do quite like a pint in the evening. The nature of our press seems to concentrate on the worst things simply because it sells papers etc. Most of us simply ignore the press because it offers nothing positive to life or any insight into what's going on in the world. I actually find London a fairly pleasant place to live - I had a nice walk in my local park this morning and then played tennis all afternoon. Last night I went for a lovey meal with friends at a nearby pub and nobody was murdered, stabbed, raped, vandalised or robbed while I was there.

30 minutes ago, Nostris said:

They are able to  get insurance, and presumably third party insurance…So, it does exist…it just isn’t made available to private owners..who are obviously going to be much more responsible as it is their own scooter.

It's simply not possible for a vehicle insurer (thats accessible to the public) to insure something that isn't road legal. It may be that the hire scooters are underwritten by the hire companies themselves (Voi/Lime etc). And understandably, they aren't going to underwrite the private riders when the companies have a good thing going on with a golden ticket/handshake from the government. Ultimately, even if Voi etc did agree (in principle) to provide insurance to private riders, a privately owned scooter is still illegal to use in public so their offer of insurance would be worthless in law.

The upshot is, until the Government give PLEV's a vehicle category/exemption we are stuffed. I am sure there will be a queue of insurers to cover us (for a handsome sum no doubt) if and when PLEV's become legal on public land.

30 minutes ago, Nostris said:

that are ridden by W unknown persons, of unknown age, unknown address and unknown ability? When it is not available to an identifiable individual who wishes to ride his or her own machine?

The companies do know the hirers details. It's only the ability that they don't know.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:40 AM, Lex Smith said:

I seriously cannot get my head around this - the law is a bunch of arse to begin with and then the fact the police are so vigilant in enforcing it.  Are they on some sort of quota bonus system for tickets issued? 

I don't think thats the case tbh. I have a feeling that it's to 'nip it in the bud' before all and sundry went out and bought escooters etc. I don't think anyone (including myself) was expecting the boom in use/sales that we saw prior to the clampdowns. I'm not saying I agree with them not being legal in the first place, but I do have a feeling that it was a show of force by the government to dissuade the public from going out en masse (which they appeared to be doing) and smashing a walnut with a hammer before they had a real problem on their hands of 1000's of people riding around on them at which point the police simply haven't got the numbers to deal with that many 'offenders'.

Now hang on...I think I might be onto something!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Planemo said:

I don't think thats the case tbh. I have a feeling that it's to 'nip it in the bud' before all and sundry went out and bought escooters etc. I don't think anyone (including myself) was expecting the boom in use/sales that we saw prior to the clampdowns. I'm not saying I agree with them not being legal in the first place, but I do have a feeling that it was a show of force by the government to dissuade the public from going out en masse (which they appeared to be doing) and smashing a walnut with a hammer before they had a real problem on their hands of 1000's of people riding around on them at which point the police simply haven't got the numbers to deal with that many 'offenders'.

Now hang on...I think I might be onto something!

If that's the case then I'm glad the PEV horse has bolted in New Zealand - there are thousands of PEV users and by extension voters with them here.  I don't agree with the rental scooters because they cause problems (ill equipped and inexperienced riders + the damm things lying all over the foot paths) but most privately operated units seem to be operated by responsible riders.  

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Knife crimes are bad enough.

Still mystified why military rifles are available for citizens

I'd love to know his thought processes . . . I understood the annoyance at the trail bikers and the resisting arrest thing was probably fueled by adrenalin but to then gear up for a full blown gun battle - how was that ever going to end well for him?

Thankfully the majority of shootings in NZ are gang members shooting rival gang members (no tears shed there) or drug deals gone wrong.  When you read about it in the paper when they catch the culprit the charges almost always include 'illegal possession of a firearm' proving that gun control laws aren't working since its not the legal gun owners doing all the shooting.

The only thing I ever shoot off is my mouth and that gets me into more than enough trouble . . .  :-)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe just needed to lean forward more to speed up when walking......:D

image.jpeg.c284d10b8183a61a2366f30b66179f20.jpeg

Imagine if EUC pedals and shoes locked in like cleated bike shoes...........NY riders would probably use them too......:shock2:

Doesnt this picture pretty much prove you dont need cleats? Only dress shoes a smooth surface and some mad skillz :)

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 2:51 PM, Nostris said:

But but the commonwealth!