Tilt back is dangerous?

Rotator

I have a ninebot. When you are near speed limit, the ninebot do a slight tilt back. Usually this is enough to advertise you are near the limit.

If you do not aware of this ( because you are in a very irregular road, with rises and drops, or whatever....) and you continue to increase speed, then the abrupt tilt back appears.

It is very annoying for me. Every time makes me loose balance. I never fell because that, but every time I was about to fall. And a very hugh scare.

Last day, in a downhill, the ninebot did a abrupt tilt back, and I was not able no lean back, because the pedals tilt back make me unstable and unbalanced. At last, I could recover balance and brake, but I was about 10 seconds at top speed, with the euc beeping, at full tilt back, and I was trying to recover balance to brake.

In theory, tilt back is a good thing because is supposed to help you lean back, and hence to brake. But it is not my case.

What I am doing wrong?  

How you feel that quick tilt back? Is it fine for you?

Depends how tilt-back is implemented. I've never been a fan of the Ninebot tilt-back programming, in fact I really don't like it: you can be riding merrily along one second, then .4 kph faster & your feet are in an awkward angle. Especially for novice riders, or those unfamiliar with the system, it risks throwing them off balance.  

IMO the best TB is where you reach the limiter & there's a gradual tilt-back in proportion to the over-speed limit, example of this are: IPS, Airwheel, & King Song.

My E+ Ninebot gradually tilts back, so .1 over 20kph gives you a slighter tiltback than 2kph over. If you want to ride 22kph (topspeed of the E+) for a longer period of time, you have the awkward position of the feet, it feels almost like you are slipping back off the pads. But to be honest thats a good thing. It should not be comfy to ride above the indicated limit also I have never felt any abrupt tilts without me being the culprit (accelerating fast or braking hard).

When I ride from straight to downhill I stay straight up and do no accelerating before the dip, letting the bot do all the balancing. I like the feeling when it starts supporting you from the heels once you are on the downhill slope. As soon as I feel balanced again during the slope (like a meter after) I then adjust speed if necessary.  The same I do when going uphill again, keep the speed, rebalance, then increase or lower the speed again. I do not accelerate or brake while the slope angle changes.

@Jason McNeil youre welcome, good to see that most of the manufacturers actually improve the stuff they try to sell. :)

I tested the older E before I ordered mine (probably equipped with the mentioned 1.1.6 Firmware) and this smooth increasing tiltback was one of the features that made me buy a 9B1, the other (generic) wheels I checked only stated the audible (or not with all the wind around when riding) signal to slow down on their websites. Then I found this forum and learned that about a gazillion more brands exist that make EUCs.. :rolleyes:

I, personally, like the tilt back feature. It gives me a better connection/feel for the wheel. It should be a quick but gradual tilt. Don't try to fight it, just slow down and get back up to speed. I ride with headphones on so the beeps don't help me, the tilt does. Each rider is different so take it with a grain of salt. ;) 

I have 9b1 E (not E+) with the last firmware.

I would like a more progressive tilt back. It is very abrupt near the speed limit, and I feel it more a dangerous problem to make you fall, than a help to reduce speed.

With the E+, I over leaned in my second day riding, and that was a horrible experience, so now I'm more cautious when accelerating, and I instead try sense how fast I'm going, and once I get the little tilt back, I settle at that speed. I try to avoid the more articulated ones.

Going downhill, I always go slow, since on the evening of my first day, I lost balance going downhill from my house (the wine + newbie combination was not a good one!), and fell and broke a rib. :)

Since those two accidents, I decided not to fall anymore soon, which is a winning concept - you loose lots of time by being injured. :):)

Archived