Possible shipping ban on electric rideables?

RichieV

So I received a confirmation email for my mini-segway/two-wheel scooter and in it was this little blurb:

"Sorry for the delay,as there is too much battery inside this product,the DHL,Fedex,TNT has stopped shippig this product.so sorry that there is a delay."

Also I was looking at an IPS 121/122/123 for sale on Amazon and in the description this is mentioned:

• HK DHL forbidden to ship EUC due to high volume exportation, buy now or buy "never"

Anybody know what's going on???

--Richard

Are there any sellers/suppliers on this board who might be able to shed some light on this?  Will non-originating countries be facing a serious shortage on electric rideables?

Last month, Boeing made a recommendation for all airlines to stop carrying Lithium based batteries as cargo on passenger flights. Technically it doesn't impact equipment with installed batteries such as EUCs, only bulk batteries, but it's possible some carriers are using even more stringent standards. For example cargo carriers may now be using the IATA requirement that batteries be 160Wh or less for air transport, which would prevent all but the cheapest/smallest models from going by air.

From what I can tell, it looks like DHL is even more stringent and limits batteries to 100Wh:

http://www.dhl.com/content/dam/downloads/g0/express/shipping/lithium_batteries/lithium_ion_batteries_regulations.pdf

It seems like this change (or is it just enforcement of the existing rules/recommendations?) would favor manufacturers with local distributors who can store inventory (Ninebot, Solowheel?) and/or do the final assembly locally by inserting the batteries. It's unlikely the average buyer would want to wait several weeks for an ocean cargo shipment that had a pre-assembled EUC with a battery.

Easy (although probably less cheap) fix, order the wheels without batteries and have the batteries built domestically  ;)  Though, I'm still waiting for my custom packs, last I checked they were still waiting for the BMS-boards to show up... :mellow:

Right, but when you build the batteries where will you get the cells? :D Most of the cells are made in China, and now they can't ship bulk Li-Ion by plane. So those will have to come by slow boat and truck/train to a local assembly location.

Right, but when you build the batteries where will you get the cells? :D Most of the cells are made in China, and now they can't ship bulk Li-Ion by plane. So those will have to come by slow boat and truck/train to a local assembly location.

The importers usually have some stocks, in my case, the LG-cells were directly available off the shelf, and with good inventory control, they should always have the needed cells or something similar (similar capacity & chemistry) in stock, but as 16S BMSs are more rarely needed, they are the ones holding back the project now.

Edit: I'd expect companies like Tesla to lobby against any shipping restrictions strongly, but on the other hand, big oil companies will probably rejoice of anything that makes electric powered vehicles harder to build or import... ;)

Well, if Sunny is correct about UPS, it looks like there is still at least one channel available to sellers/suppliers.  Hopefully supply won't be curtailed too much; otherwise it would be difficult for this trend of personal transportation devices to flourish.  As these get more popular and into the hands (feet) of more people, new innovations and improvements should arise, and I can't wait to see what comes of them.

It seems that most suppliers are being a little hush-hush about the delays, glad to see you out here Sunny!

ElectricUnicycleReviews.com is having some shipping delays to the United States, except with our USA stock of Ninebot One E+.

Everything else seems like it might be in some kind of delay loop right now. I'm hoping for a couple of my customers to get their unicycles shipped from China soon!

@KaleOsaurusRex :What do you think of the potential BMS issues of the Ninebot One E+ that @hobby16 discovered?  

BTW, thank you for your very instructive picture of the BMS. In fact, as said above and I confirm, Ninebot has a dangerous BMS to that MUST be shunted.

Grrr, come on, manufacturers, stop the stupidity !

Edit : I forgot to say, it's not true Ninebot One has not had power cut. Some on the French forum was victim but I did'nt attribute it to the BMS, thinking Ninebot as a big company could not have made a so dangerous BMS. Well, I reverse my judgment now.

This seems to be a crusade of yours, and I wondered what action you might envision?  Will you contact Ninebot and report back their response as you have urged others to do out of love of the sport?  Thanks in advance. 

It was in this thread:

It appears that these BMS issues are common to every manufacturer, including the most reputable ones.

Ninebot micro unicycles exhibit good software low battery behavior, but hobby16 says the BMS is a similar flawed design to other units out there. For whatever the reason, it appears that unexpected shut-downs are fairly rare despite the popularity of the brand. Perhaps I am interpreting this incorrectly, but that is my impression.

I am presently testing the Ninebot One E+ for review, and it's already clear to me that the build quality and the quality of at least some of the parts is better than any other brand I've tested so far.

As you might have seen here on the forums, my approach with the manufacturers in the past has been very direct and at times aggressive. Since Ninebot is a huge company, and the clear market leader, I need to be delicate about how I approach them, or else I know they will just ignore me.

So, when I approach them I need to make sure it's in the right way. I would love, however, to hear Ninebot's responses to their customer base. Has anyone else who was considering a purchase contacted Ninebot regarding the reported BMS design issues?

@dpong

You're right, I was very aggressive and direct in the thread about safe and unsafe BMS brands. The problem is much bigger than I expected, encompassing seemingly every brand. I'm glad to hear that you're staying on top of the issue. Thank you for encouraging me specifically to make progress on the matter more quickly, just as I have encouraged people in the past.

The voices of many will be more powerful than the voices of few, and that's why I did my part to make sure the BMS issue is on top of peoples' minds. But if I'm going to be effective in doing my part making sure a change happens, I can't just be a thorn in the side of the companies.

I am happy to attempt again to get a better answer from Ninebot. Let's work together on the matter to make sure all these companies know we are waiting for a solution.

Right now, Ninebot definitely isn't perfect. I don't think any brand is. But it's the only one at our store that's shipping with no apparent delays. This thread is about the delay issue with shipping unicycles from China. Let's continue the BMS conversation at the following link, so as not to hijack the thread we're in.

Archived