Brand New MSuper S+ loses almost 5Psi/day

Hi Everyone,

I got my MSuper S+ a few days ago and I'm loving it.

However, I've been using it only 3 times and it seems like I'm losing close to 5 PSI of air pressure every day (I do about 15kms daily, weigh 200lbs and ride between 25-30 km/h). When I received the wheel the tire was completely deflated. It wasn't the case when I received my V8 and certainly not losing that much air daily  either. I'm a bit worried and frustrated about this. 

Did you guys receive your own wheel completely deflated?? @Marty Backe?

Thanks. 

Cheers

Frederic

Received my MSuper only a week ago, and yes it was deflated, as was the smaller ebay Step N Roll I got a month ago.  

However, from what I've read here, that is to be expected.  Your tire not holding its air once you've filled it, though, is not.  

Grats on the great new wheel!  Sounds like you have a repair and/or using some Slime in your tire in your future.

Put a little water on the valve when inflated and look for bubbles of escaping air. If you see some them it could just be a loose valve or some dirt in the valve seal. If you have a valve tool remove and replace it and check again with water.

3 hours ago, Spinner said:

Hi Everyone,

However, I've been using it only 3 times and it seems like I'm losing close to 5 PSI of air pressure every day (I do about 15kms daily, weigh 200lbs and ride between 25-30 km/h). When I received the wheel the tire was completely deflated. It wasn't the case when I received my V8 and certainly not losing that much air daily  either. I'm a bit worried and frustrated about this. 

Thanks. 

Cheers

Frederic

It depends on how long the wheels has been sitting in the box since it was made. The last couple that I got the tire pressure was good. But a few of my wheels had very low pressure.

You definitely have a problem with yours. It's doubtful that you have a puncture based leak because then it would be flat, but there may be an issue with the valve.

As I recommend this in any case, I would put Slime (4oz in the MSuper) in your tire. This will help to accomplish two things. First, the act of putting the Slime in will have you removing and re-inserting the valve. This may fix the valve if it was not seating perfectly. Secondly, once your tire is Slimed this will reduce the slow air leak that normally occurs with all tires from the valve. Maybe it'll fix your rather larger leak.

8 hours ago, Spinner said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks. 

Cheers

Frederic

I received my MSuper3s+ two days ago. Tire is @ 20psi. This tire is much rounder, pointed even, than the Monster tire. Maybe once it's properly inflated it will flatten out. The valve stem is slammed against the rim, so I can see inflating it may be difficult. Haven't taken it out yet, so not sure if it's a fast leaker. Did your footpads unfold fully?  My right pad hits the part in the middle and stops partially erect ??.

3 minutes ago, Demian B said:

I received my MSuper3s+ two days ago. Tire is @ 20psi. This tire is much rounder, pointed even, than the Monster tire. Maybe once it's properly inflated it will flatten out. The valve stem is slammed against the rim, so I can see inflating it may be difficult. Haven't taken it out yet, so not sure if it's a fast leaker. Did your footpads unfold fully?  My right pad hits the part in the middle and stops partially erect ??.

My most recent MSuper had a pedal that didn't go down all the way - until I stepped on it. Hopefully yours is good once you have your body weight on it.

The valve stem on the MSuper is badly placed for sure. You have to pull it away from the wheel (gingerly) with one hand while you fill the tire.

22 minutes ago, Demian B said:

On the footpad, I had the same issue on one side. Apparently, Gotway does not allow for any tolerance in parts size, so I had to use a grinder to remove a thin layer of metal from the pedal support so it could open and close properly. 

On Inmotion wheels, there is some soft plastic between the pedal and its support to allow for dimensions variations...  on gotway, it's metal against metal. 

36 minutes ago, em1barns said:

On the footpad, I had the same issue on one side. Apparently, Gotway does not allow for any tolerance in parts size, so I had to use a grinder to remove a thin layer of metal from the pedal support so it could open and close properly. 

On Inmotion wheels, there is some soft plastic between the pedal and its support to allow for dimensions variations...  on gotway, it's metal against metal. 

I was thinking of doing this. Might not even need to take the pedal off.  It already has quite some abrasion where the two metals meet. Almost like QC repeatedly jammed it down and stepped on it but didn't use a grinder ?.

Thanks Marty. I've stepped on it a bit myself but it's still not as the other one is. Also, it might be adding stress on the pedal axle.

6 hours ago, Demian B said:

I was thinking of doing this. Might not even need to take the pedal off.  It already has quite some abrasion where the two metals meet. Almost like QC repeatedly jammed it down and stepped on it but didn't use a grinder ?.

Thanks Marty. I've stepped on it a bit myself but it's still not as the other one is. Also, it might be adding stress on the pedal axle.

I failed to mention : I did not have to take the pedal off, indeed. Good luck ;)

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Sorry about the delay I was able to read some of you but didn't have time to reply it was my son's 6th anniversary and we had the inlaws over for the weekend. Strangely enough my wheel pressure stayed the same over the weekend I suspect it's just the valve. I don't want to put slime into the tube because I don't want anything to affect the balance of the wheel in any way. Plus I've heard that when it's there for a while without moving it takes a while to be fluid again. I travel for my work so that's no good.

I'll wait and see. Perhaps I can simply replace the valve. I've asked Jason we'll see. Thanks again guys

Frederic

On 2017-07-22 at 5:11 PM, Demian B said:

Same thing here. It's quite frustrating all this crappy QC on Gotway's part. I hope I can fix it somehow because my right foot hurts after a while since the angle is higher. Plus I have to pull like Hercules to put it back up. I would just expect more from a $US 2,000 wheel, which translate into $Can 3,000 for me with import taxes and fees.. ?

2 minutes ago, Spinner said:

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Sorry about the delay I was able to read some of you but didn't have time to reply it was my son's 6th anniversary and we had the inlaws over for the weekend. Strangely enough my wheel pressure stayed the same over the weekend I suspect it's just the valve. I don't want to put slime into the tube because I don't want anything to affect the balance of the wheel in any way. Plus I've heard that when it's there for a while without moving it takes a while to be fluid again. I travel for my work so that's no good.

I'll wait and see. Perhaps I can simply replace the valve. I've asked Jason we'll see. Thanks again guys

Frederic

FYI, there's nothing special about the valve. You can easily buy replacements from about a million different stores and it would take a minute to swap the valve with a new one. No need to wait for input from Jason.

All of us Slime users (that doesn't sound right) don't experience issues with using it, FWIW.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

FYI, there's nothing special about the valve. You can easily buy replacements from about a million different stores and it would take a minute to swap the valve with a new one. No need to wait for input from Jason.

All of us Slime users (that doesn't sound right) don't experience issues with using it, FWIW.

Thanks Marty. I've never done any of this so I feel like a complete idiot!

You're saying Slime is not a problem even if I don't use my wheel during the winter (4-5 months) here in Canada?

Great to have all of you here. Cheers

5 minutes ago, Spinner said:

You're saying Slime is not a problem even if I don't use my wheel during the winter (4-5 months) here in Canada?

I think it might be possible for the Slime to slowly pool at the bottom of the tire over extended periods of time, but doubt it would change state and solidify and after 10-20 rotations would be well on it's way to spreading out again around the tube again. I believe the Slime bottle rates an application as good for 2 years.

Even if this was a risk I think the benefit of Slime would be worth the effort of a bi-weekly winter turn on of the wheel to redistribute it. Just pick it up, let it spin out and then turn it off again. Job done. Better than having a ride ruined by a puncture in the summer months you do get to ride.

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Oh and replacing the valve is as easy as turning a screwdriver. Look in Marty's Slime thread and he links to the tool he uses on his mSuper ($6). Schrader valves cost pennies.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Spinner said:

Same thing here. It's quite frustrating all this crappy QC on Gotway's part. I hope I can fix it somehow because my right foot hurts after a while since the angle is higher. Plus I have to pull like Hercules to put it back up. I would just expect more from a $US 2,000 wheel, which translate into $Can 3,000 for me with import taxes and fees.. ?

Doesn't that say something incredible about this product?  That many of us, informed as we are on Gotway's shortcomings, still choose to drop $2k or more on their wheel?!  I knew of the risks with a Gotway wheel but bought the Monster anyway.  Now I know what's possible first hand and am thrilled each time I go out.  If I'm required to do routine maintenance, I'm ok with that. The great tutorials on youtube make it fun to open up. If a human teleporter was invented, there would probably be someone complaining about how it dries out their hair. I know that's a stretch, but I think this device is THAT cool.  I know QC and safety are very important, but once you assume the risks and take precautions, it's party time!

7 minutes ago, Demian B said:

Doesn't that say something incredible about this product?  That many of us, informed as we are on Gotway's shortcomings, still choose to drop $2k or more on their wheel?!  I knew of the risks with a Gotway wheel but bought the Monster anyway.  Now I know what's possible first hand and am thrilled each time I go out.  If I'm required to do routine maintenance, I'm ok with that. The great tutorials on youtube make it fun to open up. If a human teleporter was invented, there would probably be someone complaining about how it dries out their hair. I know that's a stretch, but I think this device is THAT cool.  I know QC and safety are very important, but once you assume the risks and take precautions, it's party time!

Well said (you knew I'd agree with you) :thumbup:  If the V8 had the same QC reputation of Gotway it would be a dead product.  It's a nice product and all, but it's not that special (sorry V8 owners :unsure:)

4 hours ago, Spinner said:

None of us came out of the womb with this knowledge. We all have to start somewhere.

When you buy Slime you'll see that it comes in basically a squeeze bottle. Nothing happens to it while the bottle is sitting on your shelf - same thing when the stuff is sitting in your tire. 

I still would keep your wheel (and any chemicals) protected from extended exposure to extremes of weather.  Both for the sake of the battery and because some chemicals can start to have strange reactions or come out of solution when exposed to heat or cold.  

I found that out with paint and other chemicals before.  Had to throw away quite a few expensive cans because they had been in a shed through blazing summers and freezing winters.  Opened them up to find variously goop, crystallization, all kinds of weird things going on that wouldn't go away with a stir.  

Archived