ACM wobble at high speed

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hi again !

I just tested out if the wobble is still present without the magnet, it's still there, if it's an unbalanced wheel then I guess that it's serious. I can still ride like that knowing that very rarely go above 40kph.

I'll try to buy some magnets to stick on the wheel and do the trick like on the video,  but I'm not sure what weight to stick on the rim. I'm tempted to leave it like it is.

@Marty Backe when you go above 25mph do you feel this same wobble, or at least a vibration while going in a straight line ?

I must say that I've never exceeded 25mph on my ACM, and rarely have I gone that fast on it. It's a windy day here so I could only push it to ~22mph. I never feel strange vibrations, but maybe I'm not riding fast enough. Unless I'm on my Monster my top-end speeds are usually in the low 20's.

I guess you're a real speed demon :D

• 1 month later...

After a few succesful procedures I've started to believe that weight balancing the tyre is beneficial for most EUC's. Here's how I do it:

• Put a strip of  tape across the tyre tread. I like to put it from the valve to the other side of the tyre.
  • Set a camera to record slow motion video (camera a feet  from the ground, almost straight from the front) lift the wheel and carefully search for the speed with the strongest wobble.
  • Watch the strip of tape in the video while the wheel wobbles.
  • If the wheel is at the lowest part of the wobble at the same time with the tape, there is a heavy spot. Add a 10 gram weight at the opposite end of the tyre. (The heavy spot is likely the valve, so put the balancing weight on the same side of the wheel.)
  • If the wheel only wobbles sideways, when the front of the wheel is at the rightmost position, that's where the first weight goes, front right. Put another weight to the opposite end of the other side of the tyre.

If using 2-sided tape for the weights, heating the tape with a hot air gun before attaching makes the weight stay on for many times longer.

I strongly believe that the wobble(from back and forth quickly) is due to the algorithms/parameters of GW.  I experience this wobble on my Msuper V2 when ridding above 25kph and slightly ascending, and I always experience the wobble when I ride my V3s+ above 38kph on flat road or above 30kph ascending. The wobble is eased on descending road even if I ride at 45kph.

This wobble IMHO is inherent for GW, Rockwheel and KingSong EUCs etc who share the same firmware origin, and will emerge if some parameters are not adjusted well, and even oscillate at extreme.

Archived