Any Comments on Hybrid Tire for MiniPro

11 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

I just purchased the hybrid tires, and they're fantastic and highly recommended ?... The original tires are almost paper thin and was actually delaminating in spots! ? Sadly I bought the fenders ?... I do not recommend them... They are too expensive for what they are and shorter then the original in length Because of a larger tire and shorter length fender, my toes actually rubs up against the tire up front... modify your original fenders, and they look better!

Now the problem I got is that now, I need way larger mud flaps in the back and somehow attached it!!?

Please show pics when done?

I bought some 'hybrid' tyres with an alternative thread pattern, which seemed to me to be more capable of acting like a PT tyre should. A MiniPRO does not need a heavy 4-ply tyre like the knobblies I bought from More4mini, which weigh 39 ozs. Those tyres are too rigid, while the mini needs to run on a "cushion of air" as it has no (mechanical) suspension. The tyres are a critical component if a MiniPRO is to overcome off-road obstacles, or even loose cobblestones. The tyres I bought are sold by many sellers on Aliexpress, and a few on Ebay, sellers use the advertisement photo below and describe the tyres as for the 'Xiaomi Balance scooter'. They are 85/65-6.5

They are hard to fit on the rims, as they come about 5 inches wide, and need to be compressed to fit onto the (approx) 3" wide rims. Then a lot of air is needed from the compressor to seat the beads. The result is an excellent tyre with at least four times the surface contact area as the Ninebot originals, but which weigh the same 25 ozs, as the distribution of rubber is better managed. These tyres provide a soft cushion of air, rather than the stiff rims of the Ninebot original tyres, which I suspect are stiff to help owners who forget to pump their tyres :( The tread is silent on concrete, yet really grips in both dirt and pebble surfaces.

I notice there seem to be a number of manufacturers of this tread. I have seen photos branded "Innova" while mine are branded "Fineone" (or the Chinese equivalent). When inflated it ends up about half an inch larger diameter than the Ninebot original, about an inch less than the Knobblies from More4mini. Which for me is a good thing - I need all the torque I can get from the motors, and the knobblies actually reduce my ability to climb the hills around here. I am currently using between 12 and 25 psi pressure on dirt / concrete (lower pressure gets better grip, but uses more battery).

85-65-65_Offroad_Tyre_Aliexpress_Bought.jpg

Edited by trevmar
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

My More4Motion hybrid tires arrived today and I gave myself plenty of time to install them based on what I've been reading. Put three zip ties on, two crow bars and two tire irons, and soaked the tire with olive oil. Man, it was still difficult. I spent a good 45 minutes on it and was getting frustrated.

Then, my wife walks in and says "Can I help?". I didn't know the best way to use her, so I told her to just to hold the tire hard and squeeze it while I continued to work around the tire. Well, that second set of hands made all the difference! In less than one minute, we had that tire on (I only had to shimmy the crow bar one more time).

So, we tried the other tire. Still used the zip ties and the olive oil. I immediately had her hold onto the tire and squeeze. Man, we got that tire on in less than a minute TOTAL! I hardly even needed to use the crowbar. It popped right into place with her squeezing.

SO ... get a second pair of hands! Lesson learned. You won't regret it.

I'll play with the fender tomorrow. Looks pretty straight forward. Just need to decide exactly what type of adjustment I want to do with it.  I made do what Zero4Z did and make it non-permanent.

One quick and probably very obvious observation after taking it out to a golf course to try the hybrid tires out for the first time.

If you take the Ninebot/Segway out on grass/dirt/gravel, etc., the tires will be filthy. I'm used to taking the unit out with the stock tires and quickly wiping off the tires before throwing it into the trunk of my car. With the hybrid tires, I probably spent a good three minutes per tire to get all the dirt out from all the nooks and crannies. Good thing I have a hard bristle brush and towels in the back of the car (for my golf equipment).

• 3 months later...

I´ve mount the hybrid tyres on mi mini S and only have good words, I use the stock tyres only 50km a 30psi but with the hybrid at the moment at 35psi are so much better in stability, climbing obstacules and better in all the floors you can find on streets, not test on grass, mud or rocks yet.

It´s true that you will feel more little vibrations cause are not flat tyres but isn´t a disgusting vibration, and the segway absorve much better the imperfections of the road.
In speed I have pass from 17,5 to puntual 20km/h at 19km/h starts to beep so it´s a good update and makes the mini so much funny and useful in long paths.

About the changing process I read so much before and was a bit afraid, but at least I have more problems to get the stock tyres out than putting the hybrids, I have used some washing dishes soap and was too easy. To put the tyre in position I don´t have to get the valve interior out or/and a compressor, only a foot inflator and put the tyres to 55 psi, in this moment sound a "blop" and it was in position, then get the air out and put it on 35psi (I weight 60kg, soon I will check more pressures). 

The mini comes now more fast in turns, I don´t think that acelerate less, maybe the first meter but then reachs the speed faster and more stable, the braking maybe it´s a bit worse, but nothing serious, and in general makes the mini much more useful, sure and funny in streets, quite sure that in bad terrains will have more good words for this tyres!.

IMG-20200130-161645.jpg

Pd: In the mini S motors it´s wriitten BOSCH on big letters and NINEBOT smaller in the internal border...

IMG-20200129-205313.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Well now more than 3 years after I first posted about and purchased these tires I have finally mounted a pair of these on a MiniPro with Swallowbot firmware.  I had gone with the Sport tires only in the past which were like large versions of the original tires. 

No road test yet, I still have to loctite all the motor mounts again. This time installed at the same time the early version of the M4M Scout roll cage that I purchased a couple years ago.  

These tires were harder to install than the Sport tires I did on my main minipro, primarily because they seem to have much stiffer sidewall construction, and rubber composition in general.  I was struggling with them for 20min or so and not getting far, so I tried the ZipTie trick, 2 zip ties about 45° apart. Worked like a charm! 5 mins and they were on. As with previous tire change, I used 3 12" spoons to remove the old tires, and 2 spoons to mount the new ones, a small amount of mineral oil was used to lube the rims and tires. I Used my regular Vair 88p compressor powered be a 12V battery pack to seat the tires, no problems, seated right away with 50psi.   I salute the original inventor of the ZipTie trick! 

Update soon on a short ride test.  It will be a bit hard yet for me to compare the Sport and the Hybrid tires possibly as the other minipro has my extra foam/grip-tape platform that  changes the ride feel. I will eventually have something similar on this one.  Looking forward to trying these tires which seem like they will last forever. 

Edited by FreeRide
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:24 AM, FreeRide said:

Well now more than 3 years after I first posted about and purchased these tires I have finally mounted a pair of these on a MiniPro with Swallowbot firmware.  I had gone with the Sport tires only in the past which were like large versions of the original tires. 

No road test yet, I still have to loctite all the motor mounts again. This time installed at the same time the early version of the M4M Scout roll cage that I purchased a couple years ago.  

These tires were harder to install than the Sport tires I did on my main minipro, primarily because they seem to have much stiffer sidewall construction, and rubber composition in general.  I was struggling with them for 20min or so and not getting far, so I tried the ZipTie trick, 2 zip ties about 45° apart. Worked like a charm! 5 mins and they were on. As with previous tire change, I used 3 12" spoons to remove the old tires, and 2 spoons to mount the new ones, a small amount of mineral oil was used to lube the rims and tires. I Used my regular Vair 88p compressor powered be a 12V battery pack to seat the tires, no problems, seated right away with 50psi.   I salute the original inventor of the ZipTie trick! 

Update soon on a short ride test.  It will be a bit hard yet for me to compare the Sport and the Hybrid tires possibly as the other minipro has my extra foam/grip-tape platform that  changes the ride feel. I will eventually have something similar on this one.  Looking forward to trying these tires which seem like they will last forever. 

Hey, just a side question, what kind of foam platform are you using for the footing? I often wish for a suspension system when riding, even on the off-road tires...

It sounds like your experience was similar to mine with the offroad tire mounting, I struggled a bit more; I would figure yours are somewhere between the stock and m4m-offroad tires as far as stiffness/thickness. (I also had to use 90+psi and take out the valve stems -_-) I have some other 'hybrid' type tires of a different style coming sooner or later in the mail... I'll give an update whenever that happens.

Enjoy your experimenting !

18 hours ago, kristof_explorer said:

Hey, just a side question, what kind of foam platform are you using for the footing? I often wish for a suspension system when riding, even on the off-road tires...

It sounds like your experience was similar to mine with the offroad tire mounting, I struggled a bit more; I would figure yours are somewhere between the stock and m4m-offroad tires as far as stiffness/thickness. (I also had to use 90+psi and take out the valve stems -_-) I have some other 'hybrid' type tires of a different style coming sooner or later in the mail... I'll give an update whenever that happens.

Enjoy your experimenting !

See this thread on different ways me and another user worked on trying to smooth out the ride.  50km on a MiniPro are very hard on ones feet.  I don't think I have the enthusiasm to do it much anymore.  I do need to make another long ride though. 

My Hybrid tires are those sold from M4M.  My Sport tires came from there as well, but I think least time I ordered a set I got different tires, but maybe I ordered their race tires, I'd have to go check the order. 

On 7/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, FreeRide said:

See this thread on different ways me and another user worked on trying to smooth out the ride.  50km on a MiniPro are very hard on ones feet.  I don't think I have the enthusiasm to do it much anymore.  I do need to make another long ride though. 

My Hybrid tires are those sold from M4M.  My Sport tires came from there as well, but I think least time I ordered a set I got different tires, but maybe I ordered their race tires, I'd have to go check the order. 

Huh, that's quite an effort to improve the foot pads, I had no idea it had been tried before! Now I want to try and see what I can come up with...

Well I got my 'hybrid' tires today, not the ones from m4m, in fact I have not seen them available anywhere except on aliexpress (this is them: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000996416236.html), and the Russian-only site my friend showed them to me on. They're great so far! Installing them was super easy compared to the offroad ones, meaning I didn't have to take out the valve stems or anything to get the things seated! And they feel great! The offroad ones (which were from m4m) were so bumpy on pavement, while these feel soft and smooth on pavement, and more steady, and even seem to outperform m4m's off-road tire on almost all other terrain. The only thing these didn't do as well on so far were climbs up very large loose rocks, but that kind of terrain is on the border of what the motors can do anyway, so it's not really a big deal. And these new ones go 2-3x faster on sand! I'm really impressed with their sand performance. I'm kind of puzzled that no other sellers stock these, given my really good experience so far, like I'm tempted to start a tire business or something now!

So far, highly recommended tires. Thanks to my Russian friend for showing me the great tires he found!

9 hours ago, kristof_explorer said:

Huh, that's quite an effort to improve the foot pads, I had no idea it had been tried before! Now I want to try and see what I can come up with...

Well I got my 'hybrid' tires today, not the ones from m4m, in fact I have not seen them available anywhere except on aliexpress (this is them: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000996416236.html), and the Russian-only site my friend showed them to me on. They're great so far! Installing them was super easy compared to the offroad ones, meaning I didn't have to take out the valve stems or anything to get the things seated! And they feel great! The offroad ones (which were from m4m) were so bumpy on pavement, while these feel soft and smooth on pavement, and more steady, and even seem to outperform m4m's off-road tire on almost all other terrain. The only thing these didn't do as well on so far were climbs up very large loose rocks, but that kind of terrain is on the border of what the motors can do anyway, so it's not really a big deal. And these new ones go 2-3x faster on sand! I'm really impressed with their sand performance. I'm kind of puzzled that no other sellers stock these, given my really good experience so far, like I'm tempted to start a tire business or something now!

So far, highly recommended tires. Thanks to my Russian friend for showing me the great tires he found!

Those look great!   I've not heard of Tuotv brand before.  

My platform is most effective on gravel roads, but helps in general also in smoothness, but I really like the grip tape contact though also.

Edited by FreeRide

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, Jota said:

I´ve mount the hybrid tyres on mi mini S and only have good words, I use the stock tyres only 50km a 30psi but with the hybrid at the moment at 35psi are so much better in stability, climbing obstacules and better in all the floors you can find on streets, not test on grass, mud or rocks yet.

It´s true that you will feel more little vibrations cause are not flat tyres but isn´t a disgusting vibration, and the segway absorve much better the imperfections of the road.
In speed I have pass from 17,5 to puntual 20km/h at 19km/h starts to beep so it´s a good update and makes the mini so much funny and useful in long paths.

About the changing process I read so much before and was a bit afraid, but at least I have more problems to get the stock tyres out than putting the hybrids, I have used some washing dishes soap and was too easy. To put the tyre in position I don´t have to get the valve interior out or/and a compressor, only a foot inflator and put the tyres to 55 psi, in this moment sound a "blop" and it was in position, then get the air out and put it on 35psi (I weight 60kg, soon I will check more pressures). 

The mini comes now more fast in turns, I don´t think that acelerate less, maybe the first meter but then reachs the speed faster and more stable, the braking maybe it´s a bit worse, but nothing serious, and in general makes the mini much more useful, sure and funny in streets, quite sure that in bad terrains will have more good words for this tyres!.

IMG-20200130-161645.jpg

Pd: In the mini S motors it´s wriitten BOSCH on big letters and NINEBOT smaller in the internal border...

IMG-20200129-205313.jpg

It’s taken me a while to finally mount hybrid tires on my MiniPro.

My first ride with the new tires was easier, more stable, and feels much more comfortable.

I’m ready for a snowy winter and inclement weather.

‘I should have done this sooner.

• Like 1

I'm liking my hybrid tires also, but not really seeing too much difference yet between them and the sport tires of the same diameter on my other MiniPro.  I'd have to try a lot more terrain and maybe do some side-by-side, but I can say I'm not having any problems with them and I've had them on quite a few surfaces, but only shorter distances not much more than 20km per trip.  Have to spend more times with the EUCs and the e-bikes now.  I'm loving my 100mile e-bike trips, but maybe now that the fall is here I'll try another super long segway trip just for fun.  The segway is still the best for taking pictures while riding and general site seeing as the slow pace and stability make it just so easy and natural.  I've got a V11 to play with now though, and I'm hoping the suspension will bring up my safety assessment of these devices, as I can't afford injuries and the little unseen things are what get you on an EUC if you are not already a maniac.  So far I've been lucky, but ones luck always runs out eventually so have to be prepared.  Still, I'm now sold on the utility of the e-bike also, so it's a matter of the right vehicle for the right job.

22 hours ago, FreeRide said:

I'm liking my hybrid tires also, but not really seeing too much difference yet between them and the sport tires of the same diameter on my other MiniPro.  I'd have to try a lot more terrain and maybe do some side-by-side, but I can say I'm not having any problems with them and I've had them on quite a few surfaces, but only shorter distances not much more than 20km per trip.  Have to spend more times with the EUCs and the e-bikes now.  I'm loving my 100mile e-bike trips, but maybe now that the fall is here I'll try another super long segway trip just for fun.  The segway is still the best for taking pictures while riding and general site seeing as the slow pace and stability make it just so easy and natural.  I've got a V11 to play with now though, and I'm hoping the suspension will bring up my safety assessment of these devices, as I can't afford injuries and the little unseen things are what get you on an EUC if you are not already a maniac.  So far I've been lucky, but ones luck always runs out eventually so have to be prepared.  Still, I'm now sold on the utility of the e-bike also, so it's a matter of the right vehicle for the right job.

It’s also protection with the right gear.

I have a silver reflector helmet.

I have a bright 1000 lumen light on my cap for seeing and protection.

I have padded chest, arms and legs to protect from the cold and falls.

I carry a curved handled cane to ward off snippy dogs, geese, mice, rats, and varmints on nature trails

Of course, it helps to have multi layered clothing for an upcoming cold, dark winter.

Edited by Rocky Romero

14 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

It’s also protection with the right gear.

I have a silver reflector helmet.

I have a bright 1000 lumen light on my cap for seeing and protection.

I have padded chest, arms and legs to protect from the cold and falls.

I carry a curved handled cane to ward off snippy dogs, geese, mice, rats, and varmints on nature trails

Of course, it helps to have multi layered clothing for an upcoming cold, dark winter.

Yes, i have extensive safety gear.  I only go hard core on the EUCs, medium on the Segway, and just helmet, lights and gloves, on the bike.  Safety vest on the bike if on many road ways or in the dark.  I don't want to go down on the ground safety gear or not.  Only wear FF helmet on EUC.

I like the reduced safety-gear aspect of the e-bikes, and people here give me lots of room on my bikes for some reason. 

e-bikes are my current favorite EV. Don't like wearing one of my hundred backbacks anymore on long trips, too hot, and restricting. Love having the vehicle carry the load.  100miles on EUC is quite challenging if your packing water, camera gear, binoculars, lunch, repair tools,  etc..

Edited by FreeRide