Need source for GX16 power connector, screw on cap

JimB

Hi All.  The Xima Lhotz uses a GX16-4 charging connector.  It has a crappy rubber cap that doesn't stay put.  Does anyone have a source for an actual screw-on cap?  I haven't been able to find one.

I got a couple of these...

http://m.banggood.com/Electric-Wheelbarrow-Charging-Port-Covers-Dust-Covers-p-958009.html

But I haven't got around to fitting one yet, as I want to paint the bottom to prevent a bad aim from shorting out across the charging pins. 

In the meantime, I worked out a simple solution... What I am doing with my rubber cap though is flipping it once (clockwise) and putting it on twisted slightly clockwise... the change in resistance means it never comes off. 

Like this...

PSX_20161209_212927.jpg

PSX_20161209_212947.jpg

PSX_20161209_213005.jpg

17 minutes ago, zlymex said:

Be careful using metal caps on sockets that carry voltage such as Gotway etc.
This is mine from IPS T260 with modified sockets, someone borrowed it and ended up like this.
badcaps.jpg

Which is why I was going to paint mine (on the sides and bottom), to reduce the risk. 

I would think a thin piece of rubber inserted/glued in the cap would be better than painting.  Cut a corner off one of those cheap jar opening things.  But you'd still need to watch the outside.

It would be better if these things were made of plastic.  No need for metal.

I'll try the twist method.  I have been wrapping a rubber-band around it, but the rubber-band tends to pop off.

2 hours ago, JimB said:

I would think a thin piece of rubber inserted/glued in the cap would be better than painting.  Cut a corner off one of those cheap jar opening things.  But you'd still need to watch the outside.

There is already an insert inside it - I'm worried about the outside / bottom edge doing the shorting, which is where I want to put the paint. 

I tried to find a plastic equivalent, but without luck...

On 12/9/2016 at 6:28 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Which is why I was going to paint mine (on the sides and bottom), to reduce the risk. 

I followed your link and read the reviews of the metal cap, one person somehow let the metal chain for the cap fall into the charging port and shorted it out, melting the pins.

You could try liquid electrical tape on the chain,or wrap a piece of tape around the threads for a tighter fit of the rubber cap, twisting the cap is a good idea, if mine ever starts coming off I will do that.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:27 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

How about a 3D-printer? I reckon the threads to be standard so it shouldn't take too much work to create a model. 

On 12/11/2016 at 7:56 PM, steve454 said:

I followed your link and read the reviews of the metal cap, one person somehow let the metal chain for the cap fall into the charging port and shorted it out, melting the pins.

I took the chain off.

http://www.banggood.com/Electric-Wheelbarrow-Charging-Port-Covers-Dust-Covers-p-958009.html?rmmds=search

On 12/9/2016 at 0:27 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

There is already an insert inside it - I'm worried about the outside / bottom edge doing the shorting, which is where I want to put the paint. 

Yes, it has a rubber insert inside the top. I've been using these (as received, without adding paint) on two wheels for several months without problems.

http://www.banggood.com/Electric-Wheelbarrow-Charging-Port-Covers-Dust-Covers-p-958009.html?rmmds=search

• 2 weeks later...

Found a simple solution

On 12/9/2016 at 0:31 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I got a couple of these...

http://m.banggood.com/Electric-Wheelbarrow-Charging-Port-Covers-Dust-Covers-p-958009.html

But I haven't got around to fitting one yet, as I want to paint the bottom to prevent a bad aim from shorting out across the charging pins. 

In the meantime, I worked out a simple solution... What I am doing with my rubber cap though is flipping it once (clockwise) and putting it on twisted slightly clockwise... the change in resistance means it never comes off.

I tried the cap flipping thing, and it didn't stay secure.  I'm also afraid of using a metal cap.  I think plastic is the way to go.

However, I think I've found a simpler solution...

I took about a 4" strip of TEFLON PLUMBER'S TAPE and wrapped it onto the threads.  The cap stays in place now.

For those who aren't familiar with teflon plumber's tape, it's a thin, white clingy material, similar to kitchen plastic wrap.  (It doesn't have adhesive, it self-clings.)  You can find it cheap at any hardware store.  It's designed for wrapping pipe threads.

10 hours ago, JimB said:

Found a simple solution

I tried the cap flipping thing, and it didn't stay secure.  I'm also afraid of using a metal cap.  I think plastic is the way to go.

However, I think I've found a simpler solution...

I took about a 4" strip of TEFLON PLUMBER'S TAPE and wrapped it onto the threads.  The cap stays in place now.

For those who aren't familiar with teflon plumber's tape, it's a thin, white clingy material, similar to kitchen plastic wrap.  (It doesn't have adhesive, it self-clings.)  You can find it cheap at any hardware store.  It's designed for wrapping pipe threads.

You sir, are a genius! 

Archived