EUC commuting infographics

vladmarks

Hey guys,

I've dug up an interesting piece of work that was unfortunately left unfinished by the previous designer team.

The goal was to visually compare means of public and private transport to wheeling around Zones 1-2 of London. 

We have not been able to finalise the time of travel comparison, as it tends to be subjective around the busy city center. 

infographic (1).jpg

I am happy to evolve the conversation around what else can be put in such educational piece. 

6 hours ago, vladmarks said:

Hey guys,

I've dug up an interesting piece of work that was unfortunately left unfinished by the previous designer team.

The goal was to visually compare means of public and private transport to wheeling around Zones 1-2 of London. 

We have not been able to finalise the time of travel comparison, as it tends to be subjective around the busy city center. 

infographic (1).jpg

I am happy to evolve the conversation around what else can be put in such educational piece. 

How are you calculating the cost of a wheel for commuting. If it's just the cost of electricity, it really should include the cost of a new battery as well. After a certain number of miles you will need to replace the battery, which isn't cheap

On 25/11/2016 at 11:33 PM, logos122 said:

How are you calculating the cost of a wheel for commuting. If it's just the cost of electricity, it really should include the cost of a new battery as well. After a certain number of miles you will need to replace the battery, which isn't cheap

Fair play. The cost is based off fully charging a 144Wh battery on a daily basis. It's approximate in relation to electricity consumption. 

If we replace the battery once a year, it adds up say $100-150 to the yearly cost of commuting. Obviously, depending on the model, it can last for 2+ years. 

On 25/11/2016 at 10:22 PM, nomad said:

I think a zero too much on charging cost?

If you are charging up in local Starbucks or at work, it can be an absolute zero :) 

4 hours ago, vladmarks said:

If you are charging up in local Starbucks or at work, it can be an absolute zero :) 

Exactly my philosophy, and something I practice every other day...  :thumbup:

I don't know what you guys pay for electricity, but a quick googling says 20 euro cents per kWh average in Europe. Lets say 250 working days per year. Charging a 144Wh battery 0-100% x250 times = 36 kWh, with some of that being lost as heat in the charger so lets say 50 kWh per year. 20 cents x 50 kWh = 1000 cents = 10 euros!

35 minutes ago, nomad said:

I don't know what you guys pay for electricity, but a quick googling says 20 euro cents per kWh average in Europe. Lets say 250 working days per year. Charging a 144Wh battery 0-100% x250 times = 36 kWh, with some of that being lost as heat in the charger so lets say 50 kWh per year. 20 cents x 50 kWh = 1000 cents = 10 euros!

I've uncovered my old email chain, and it seems that the numbers on the poster were taken out of nowhere, just for mock-up purpose. 

What you are saying makes a lot more sense. The average rate per kWh in the UK is 12-13 pence. Even if we count the wheel of this mileage being charged twice a day, it still equates to 130-150 kWh, making the whole cost around £18... 

• 1 year later...

@vladmarks did you ever end up updating the infographic? I'm meeting with the Shadow Minister for Local Transport tomorrow and wanted to be able to give him a copy of the infographic. I'm not sure I want to do that if the information on it isn't accurate. If you have a more recent, updated version of it, would you be able to share it?

Archived