How to raise battery capacity for my NINEBOT MINI

Today I have found the solution to put in parallel my external battery with the original battery. The goal is to raise battery capacity to have longer ride with my mini.

100_1428.JPG

You can see on this picture that the orignal battery is missing but the Mini still switch on. This is the first video about my hack, more details will follow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whoXj2hsboA

Edited by smallexis
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greg Spalding said:

If you could double my range on this particular device I would be far more than thrilled

It's very easy to do (but take a long time) and I will post all the process next time. For now, I will go outside to test this system because I just finish to install the wheels.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, smallexis said:

It's very easy to do (but take a long time) and I will post all the process next time. For now, I will go outside to test this system because I just finish to install the wheels.

i cannot wait to read about the process. thank you.

good luck with the testing.

• Upvote 2

Ok, here are the steps to follow to put an external plug (and a switch to cut the "beep"):

prise externe 1.jpg

1: the polarity is marked on the motherboard (with respect to the connection of the battery)

2: the wires (red and black, 14AWG) are passed between the connector and the metal supports in order to weld them to the terminals of the motherboard.

3: we will drill 2 holes in the most recessed area of the platform (delimited in red)

4: the ideal location is aligned with the 2 small strokes (in any case this is where I chose to drill)

prise externe 2.jpg

5: by placing half of the aileron, the 2 holes lead to the "empty" space below the aileron. So this is the best location

6: the wires are passed through the 2 holes and then the motherboard is replaced. The wires remain "movable" and can slide

7: Gently pull on the wires to get as large a portion as possible

8: provisional placement of half of the aileron, in order to determine the best passage area for the wires

prise externe 3.jpg

9: to put at right side the GX12-4P socket and to the left the switch, I drill a hole of 12 mm of diameter in the two halves of the wing

10: I took as a reference one of the molded lines on the inside of the hull of the aileron, in order not to hinder the Bluetooth module and for the symmetry

11: fitting accessories, which are locked with a nut, then with hot glue for finishing

12: 2 holes are drilled under the aileron (right side) to allow the wires to be connected to the GX12-4P

prise externe 4.jpg

13: An XT60 connector is used to allow a removable connection between the wings and the platform.

14: on the left side, the key switch is connected in series on the red wire of the buzzer

15: the re-assembled wings is now ready to resume its place on the platform

16: the connection between the XT60 plugs being made, the whole is placed at the bottom of the wings and the latter is put in place

prise externe 5.jpg

17: without having to force, the flap is put back in its place. It's time to check if the "hack" works

18: I plug my external battery into the socket freshly installed and the mini (finally what remains) lights up

19: after having assembled the elements of the platform (excepted the wheels), I check again that everything is functional, the lighting is OK.

Last night, after putting the wheels and the battery in place, I charged the external battery so that it was at the same voltage as the original battery, then I go out for a test of more than 20 km. The mini works perfectly.

Modifié à l’instant par smallexis
  • Upvote 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2017 at 12:09 PM, Shad0z said:

i am very interested in this hack do how much extra range does it give you and can you reccomend some batteries and some cables? i dont know how to make thi it would be very helpful :D

Hello,

In summer condition, I can drive 16km with my 240Wh internal battery that give an average consumption of 15Wh/km.

My external battery is a 190Wh, and I'm able to drive 12 extra km with it. If I had 400wh (my next project) I will be able to drive 25 extra km.

For battery and cables I bought all spares parts and I make battery by myself (I have already post some information here : http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/5584-want-more-range-for-your-ninebot-mini-one-problem-but-many-solutions/)

If you need more information, you're welcome.

• 10 months later...

Hi smallexis, thanks for your contributions. I just bought a ninebot mini pro 260, which I selected based on the premise of 20 kmts range, but in a flat golf course just got 7 kmts with full battery ( tire pressure 45psi, ambient temperature 26°C, my weight 80 kg) . Then I found your contribution about connecting in parallel an external battery. 
I am intending to buy the following one from China, changing the charge connector to the GX12-4P.
Some doubts where I need your support, having as reference the 18 steps published by you:
(below please find the motherboard picture for the N3M260) 

- STEP 1) Question: Any clue about how to identify the positive and the negative?

- STEP 9) to put at right side the GX12-4P socket and to the left the switch
Question : How is the connection of the Red and Black cables to the GX12-4P
Question : what kind of switch are you using? 

-STEP 18)  I plug my external battery into the  socket  freshly installed
Question : are both batteries connected all the time and what is the app registering? 

I will appreciate your feedback 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20180930-210439.jpg

Screenshot_20180930-211246.jpg

On 10/1/2018 at 4:18 AM, Apc435 said:

- STEP 1) Question: Any clue about how to identify the positive and the negative?

- STEP 9) to put at right side the GX12-4P socket and to the left the switch
Question : How is the connection of the Red and Black cables to the GX12-4P
Question : what kind of switch are you using? 

-STEP 18)  I plug my external battery into the  socket  freshly installed
Question : are both batteries connected all the time and what is the app registering? 

1 : use a voltmeter for polarity on the board

9 : for polarity you can see on charger (1 + and 2 -) :

I have use a 12V motobike key switch (in order to turn off the buzzer, it's only a noise reduction interest).

18 : the app will not detect extra capacity, just the voltage is measured. You can let both batteries connected or not.

• 10 months later...

Would it be possible to do this to my Ninebot One S2? The S2 has 2 batteries (15S 1P) which are handled seperately by the Motherboard. Can I hook up one extra 15S 1P to each one to double the milage? Extra batteries would be stored in extra box mounted on the sides... And why can't you charge the parallel battery with the main charger, just by double time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 6:12 PM, Matahalii said:

Would it be possible to do this to my Ninebot One S2

Yes it's possible like the description you've given. One extra battery for each internal one.

My Z10 is composed by 2 packs of batteries, I have linked both batteries on output power wire and put an external plug. Maybe It can works with the S2.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:12 PM, Matahalii said:

why can't you charge the parallel battery with the main charger, just by double time?

yes exactly, I have 2 chargers and It's faster to load batteries separately.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:37 PM, smallexis said:

My Z10 is composed by 2 packs of batteries, I have linked both batteries on output power wire and put an external plug. Maybe It can works with the S2.

yes exactly, I have 2 chargers and It's faster to load batteries separately.

Can you make a quick graphic how your Z10 is wired now?

Can I or must I charge the external batteries seperate? It's faster, yes, but you must watch the exact voltages every time you charge and in most cases charging time is not critical.

In the meantime I had a maybe great idea: I must put the extra cells anywhere - anyhow. What if I open the original battery cases of the S2, solder a (new) cell in parallel to the existing ones, close the thickened packs with a good tape, shrinktube  or even silicone to get two packs of 15S2P. They would use the existing BMS, would charge via the original way but double time. Doesn't bother me, because you can still charge the same amount of milage than before per hour. The easiest from the electrical view. But you end up with thicker batteries. But maybe you can somehow rework the sidecovers and squeeze them in...

Edited by Matahalii

On 9/9/2019 at 11:31 PM, Matahalii said:

Can you make a quick graphic how your Z10 is wired now?

image.thumb.png.37ee32fc52caa39f2a27db7f9ff67b5c.png

2 hours ago, Matahalii said:

Ah thanks!

so you plug in the original charger via the Motherboard and a second one via the drawn GX connector but all in the same cirquit. right?

I only use the GX external plug (I have added) for :

high speed load over 5A (I put my 8A charger or both 5A and 8A at same time = a 13A charger)

- my external battery in order to raise my range

I use orginal Z10 charging plug for normal load (at 2A) or for medium speed load with a 5A charger

image.thumb.png.8c9ef95f6ff6638c40b306b79dc194f4.png

On 9/9/2019 at 11:31 PM, Matahalii said:

Can I or must I charge the external batteries seperate?

In my case, I can't connect chargers and external battery at same time to the GX plug. That's why I link my 8A to the GX in order to load my Z10 and I use my 5A charger in order to load separately my external battery. If I wanted to load internal and external batteries at same time, I can only use my 5A with the original charging plug of the Z10.

• 1 year later...

Hi Smallexis. First let me congratulate on you project. Many of us have wondered and only imagine if an external battery pack would work but only you have proven that it does. After almost 4 years after you posted your project, I can tell you that there is no other, that I came across in the web, that is similiarly as practical and straighforward as your.

I am building a ridebale golf push cart. Since many golf course won't allow you to ride an outside equipment in their facilities, I will push the Segway Minipro with the golf bag attached on top of it and after the first hole just ride it and when I see a course marshal, just step off the minipro and push it. Everything is almost done, but the biggest obstacle is the range and therefore the battery pack limitation.

I've ordered 15 cells of 26650 batteries with 5,300mah capacity. I have almost everything ready to start spot welding the cells and add the BMS. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with:

1) Why did you use a GX12-4p connector and not just a XT60 to connect and disconnect between the battery pack and the Segway. I am curious because in the Minipro the GX12 connector is used for charging only.

2) Is the buzz noise activated all the time because of the parallel connection or did you install the key switch just to make it shush when you reach the limit speed?

Thank you in advance!

Jin Park

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 3:14 AM, Avefenix said:

1) Why did you use a GX12-4p connector and not just a XT60 to connect and disconnect between the battery pack and the Segway. I am curious because in the Minipro the GX12 connector is used for charging only.

I choose GX12 because it's the same as charging plug, and because I can load the internal battery throught my external plug with high speed charger without problem. round shape of GX12 is easier to drill inside the shell than XT60 shape. (I have GX12 connector on my NINEBOT Z10 and on my OW+ too for same use)

On 9/23/2020 at 3:14 AM, Avefenix said:

2) Is the buzz noise activated all the time because of the parallel connection or did you install the key switch just to make it shush when you reach the limit speed?

additionnal battery don't change anything for segway use (except the range) and my switch key is only for desactivate speed alarm

I had to convert an XVE charger to charge my v8 which uses a GX12 - 4 - my chief complaint about gx12-4 is the solder points are very small and only about 1mm separation between them. I much prefer gx16 but of course it has a larger diameter/deeper and therefore takes up more space wherever you put it...