A Comparison between my MSuper V3 and ACM 16

Marty Backe

I've owned my MSuper V3 for a few days now and have about 75 miles on it. I put together this video comparing it to my ACM 16 V2 that I've ridden for 450+ miles.

Over two complete charge cycles I consistently got over 30 miles (48 km)  on the MSuper (my riding weight is 170 pounds - 75 kg). Both units have the 820 wh battery packs.

I'm lov'n the MSuper.

It's a long video, but I tell you how to skip all the riding footage if you're just interested in my observations. Be sure to watch the two epilogues at the end of the video.

Wonderful review Marty. Love you collection of wheels too. You are very lucky to have such scenic areas to go riding in. Does the wider tyre affect riding in any way? Like will it make the wheel more sluggish to accelerate or increase the amount of lean you need to put into each turn?

11 minutes ago, 16bitSprite said:

Wonderful review Marty. Love you collection of wheels too. You are very lucky to have such scenic areas to go riding in. Does the wider tyre affect riding in any way? Like will it make the wheel more sluggish to accelerate or increase the amount of lean you need to put into each turn?

Thanks. I cannot tell any difference in acceleration between the two wheels. The MSuper is bigger in many ways so of course you have to put a little more energy into turning, but nothing in a bad way. The ACM is certainly a more responsive wheel. The wider wheel is of course easier to ride when on dirt paths with rocks, ruts, etc.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. I cannot tell any difference in acceleration between the two wheels. The MSuper is bigger in many ways so of course you have to put a little more energy into turning, but nothing in a bad way. The ACM is certainly a more responsive wheel. The wider wheel is of course easier to ride when on dirt paths with rocks, ruts, etc.

Thanks for that. Have a wonderful time riding your new MSuper. Love the vids.

As you know, I watched the entire video earlier and it is fantastic

The comparison is much appreciated and It really is hard to believe how similar they are even with the vast difference in weight

I suppose that's why they're selling for almost exactly the same price so becomes just a matter of personal preference

There are pluses and minuses to both but in the end they are relatively the same wheel from the same manufacturer

Thanks for the lengthy video because it took a lot of time to put that together and think about what you would say. It is exceedingly much appreciated

Cool Vid Marty!!
Did I miss the part where you showed the lovely INTEGRATED 'Trolley Handle' that comes on the MSuper - That really adds to the usability of the wheel, especially for commuting and returning home with a flat tire or empty batteries...
The ACM has a rudimentary rear light, no trolley but it does have a USB port...
Same motor, same batteries, smaller wheel size, removable access panel for tire air, no Trolley, inferior pedals...Sounds like the ACM is actually more expensive because for the same price you get less.
Aside from the maneuverability afforded by the smaller thinner tire (and a few ounces of weight?) it really seems like for the same price the MSuper is a 'no-brainer'.
Is there any real disadvantage to the 18" rig Marty? I would guess replacement shells are cheaper for the ACM, but of course we have no way to know that, yet...

15 minutes ago, Roll Model said:

Cool Vid Marty!!
Did I miss the part where you showed the lovely INTEGRATED 'Trolley Handle' that comes on the MSuper - That really adds to the usability of the wheel, especially for commuting and returning home with a flat tire or empty batteries...
The ACM has no rear light, no trolley, AND no USB charging port, is that correct?
Same motor, same batteries, smaller wheel size, no Trolley, no USB, inferior pedals...Sounds like the ACM is actually more expensive because for the same price you get less.
Aside from the maneuverability afforded by the smaller thinner tire (and a few ounces of weight?) it really seems like for the same price the MSuper is a 'no-brainer'.
Is there any real disadvantage to the 18" rig Marty? I would guess replacement shells are cheaper for the ACM, but of course we have no way to know that, yet...

I forgot to mention the trolley handle, but it's something I probably will rarely use. The ACM absolutely has rear lights and a USB port.

The ACM certainly has a lighter feel to it vs the MSuper and that can be important to some folks. In the best of all worlds you would own both :-)

I will probably grab the ACM when I'll be riding around town or paved paths. If I anticipate going off road or where the terrain will be rough, I'll take the MSuper. And sometimes it'll just depend on how I feel that day. Kind of like it's nice to have a collection of shirts to pick from based on your mood. I know this doesn't help a lot of people, but I say buy both ;-)

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I will probably grab the ACM when I'll be riding around town or paved paths. If I anticipate going off road or where the terrain will be rough, I'll take the MSuper. And sometimes it'll just depend on how I feel that day. Kind of like it's nice to have a collection of shirts to pick from based on your mood. I know this doesn't help a lot of people, but I say buy both ;-)

i just showed THAT quote to my wife and i'm going to REVIEW the forum's rules for posting obscenities before telling you what SHE said

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've owned my MSuper V3 for a few days now and have about 75 miles on it. I put together this video comparing it to my ACM 16 V2 that I've ridden for 450+ miles.

Over two complete charge cycles I consistently got over 30 miles (48 km)  on the MSuper (my riding weight is 170 pounds - 75 kg). Both units have the 820 wh battery packs.

I'm lov'n the MSuper.

It's a long video, but I tell you how to skip all the riding footage if you're just interested in my observations. Be sure to watch the two epilogues at the end of the video.

Please show us how you inflate tire

4 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

I show the valve in the video along with my compressor fitting. I don't think there's anything more to show in this regards.

5 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

i just showed THAT quote to my wife and i'm going to REVIEW the forum's rules for posting obscenities before telling you what SHE said

LOL. That's very funny Greg. I hesitated writing that :mellow:

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I show the valve in the video along with my compressor fitting. I don't think there's anything more to show in this regards.

LOL. That's very funny Greg. I hesitated writing that :mellow:

we've chatted about that before

i still BORROW my friend's ninebot one E+

you know that i have NO desire to just own 1 wheel (no offense to anyone here intended)

55 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

Look at the point 9:50 in the video. It looks sub-optimal but he has no real difficulty getting the fitting in place WITH the valve cap in place, with out the cap there would be more room.
I'd be interested to see how he fixes a flat ;)

Adding Air GW MSuper 18.JPG

1 minute ago, Roll Model said:

Look at the point 9:50 in the video. It looks sub-optimal but he has no real difficulty getting the fitting in place WITH the valve cap in place, with out the cap there would be more room.
I'd be interested to see how he fixes a flat ;)

I'm really not looking forward to my first flat. I'm looking into putting together a compact kit that I can carry with me while riding off-road.

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm really not looking forward to my first flat. I'm looking into putting together a compact kit that I can carry with me while riding off-road.

The gap between the valve and rim allows sand to get in to destroy inner tube. Seal the gap by Motile around the place where valve and rim meet.

Also, the place does not allow bike pump to hook on.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

...not looking forward to my first flat. I'm looking into...

...an auto parts store for the self inflating flat sealing can? ;)

I can see one would need a work bench/holder/vise thingy at home as well as portable kit.
Beyond the norm for repairing any flat bike tire (irons, glue, patches, abrader, and perhaps chalk or some form of marker) what do you think you'd need? A #2 Philips (or is it that JiS pattern?) Would you need more than a screw driver and a 'flat kit' Marty?

I fixed a million flats - Best done with out removing the tire at all. If you can figure out where the flat is (often very simple) then remove only enough tire from one side of the rim (8"?) pull out a few inches of inner tube and patch it. Sometimes the tube can come under the tire with out using any tire irons. Shove it back in, reseat the tire (remove the 2 irons), inflate and go. That way you never messed with the chain or the brakes, never flipped the axle QR's...Just fixed the flat, which would be even more significant with a EUC!
For that style valve, having a valve cover that has a valve stem core remover tool built into it is the very best - That way the tube goes very flat, very quickly. Bonus because you can inflate the repaired tube and then let the air out and then re-inflate which will give the best results and take very little time. Talcum powder should of course be applied liberally to the inside of the tire casing and the rim.
Mountain Bike racing we carried a 2nd tube, but I found it was often quicker to fix one than replace one, I doubt they even use glue any more - Peel and stick with no waiting.

5 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

The gap between the valve and rim allows sand to get in to destroy inner tube. Seal the gap by Motile around the place where valve and rim meet.

Im not familiar with Motile. Will this make it difficult to remove the inner tube if I get a serious flat that requires inner tube replacement?

3 minutes ago, Roll Model said:

...an auto parts store for the self inflating flat sealing can? ;)

I can see one would need a work bench/holder/vise thingy at home as well as portable kit.
Beyond the norm for repairing any flat bike tire (irons, glue, patches, abrader, and perhaps chalk or some form of marker) what do you think you'd need? A #2 Philips (or is it that JiS pattern?) Would you need more than a screw driver and a 'flat kit' Marty?

I fixed a million flats - Best done with out removing the tire at all. If you can figure out where the flat is (often very simple) then remove only enough tire from one side of the rim (8"?) pull out a few inches of inner tube and patch it. Sometimes the tube can come under the tire with out using any tire irons. Shove it back in, reseat the tire (remove the 2 irons), inflate and go. That way you never messed with the chain or the brakes, never flipped the axle QR's...Just fixed the flat, which would be even more significant with a EUC!
For that style valve, having a valve cover that has a valve stem core remover tool built into it is the very best - That way the tube goes very flat, very quickly. Bonus because you can inflate the repaired tube and then let the air out and then re-inflate which will give the best results and take very little time. Talcum powder should of course be applied liberally to the inside of the tire casing and the rim.
Mountain Bike racing we carried a 2nd tube, but I found it was often quicker to fix one than replace one, I doubt they even use glue any more - Peel and stick with no waiting.

I used to ride a lot on a very nice street bike, and have repaired lots of flats at 5am or other lousy conditions. So I know the drill. But's it's been awhile, and I don't currently have a kit prepared, including the pump (which conveniently stored on the bike frame). Certainly would need one or more screw drivers.

At some point (I should do this sooner rather then later) I should go through all the motions on one of my wheels so I have confidence that it can be done in the field. Hopefully there are now super compact mechanical pumps available (I don't want to depend on a cartridge).

9 minutes ago, 16bitSprite said:

Im not familiar with Motile. Will this make it difficult to remove the inner tube if I get a serious flat that requires inner tube replacement?

Motile is something like a play dough, soft, not too sticky, easy to take off. Go to homedepot to check it. 

Three words Marty!!!
Trolley Handle, UBBER

- Have never heard of sand damaging any inner tube and I have never found sand in my tires...I think you have been sold a bill of goods!
The inner tube is thickest where the valve is located and there is so little room inside an inflated tire...

Great video Marty.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  It's encouraging to see the mileage you're getting on the Msuper.  3 nice wheels you have there.  Great compliment to each other.  Thanks for taking the time make this video.

Archived