Upgrading From NB1

codersarepeople

Hi all,

I have had my ninebot for about 3 weeks now, and even though I really thought when I got it it'd be great for me, I've found that I love EUCs so much and am constantly being held back by the ninebot.  I use it to commute from my apartment to work, to the gym, then home, but I've gotten to the point where I feel like it's constantly beeping/tilting back on me because I simply want more speed.

What should I be upgrading to?

• KS16/18 both are speed upgrades from NB1, but I really don't want to have buyers remorse if they aren't fast enough.  It looks really nice and I love the built-in trolley handle.  Ewheels says to expect the 16 in early september, but I think early september is about over.
  • Gotway ACM 16 looks great, but I can't find a reseller in the US.
  • Gotway MSuper v2 has no tiltback, which terrifies me, as I am constantly pushing my ninebot, and I can't find a v3 reseller in the US.
  • Inmotion options seem to have the same speed issues as the KS

Any suggestions?  It seems impossible to buy anything but the Ninebot and the v2 in America.

If you want speed then the MSuper V3 could be a good option for you.

It has the a 1500w motor, 18" wheel, is spec'd to do 40kmh safely and, importantly for you, it has tilt back.

It's been out a couple of months or so and so for all I have read is positive things. Everyone seems to love it. Even Ian Sampson from Speedy Feet, who you may have seen in many videos for Ninebot products, looks to be enjoying his 1000 mile trial. He will be posting a video of his thoughts/review soon apparently.

I am regretting not holding out for the MSuper V3 but I wanted something sooner so opted for the, now brilliant, ACM 16. The bigger wheel of the V3 would definitely come in handy on some of my rides though.

There is a post either on here or Facebook (I'm not sure and can't seem to find it) with a group of Americans looking to buy the V3 in bulk. maybe join them?

Found the post - 

FYI, if you really want an ACM and are unwilling to wait a little, you can buy one on Amazon right now. The price is a bit high, but not extraordinarily high.

I know there is a group in NYC that is going to place a 'group' order for some Gotway MSuper V3's.  You might want to contact them.

Contact Donafello.

Also "Bigwheel66" is going to place a 'group' order for some Gotway MSuper V3 very shortly. 

Perhaps you can get in on one of those buys.

Q~

If you go above 25 km/h you will need a helmet, that's a big thing to carry around when not wearing it, unless you're already used to that... Also how long are your distances, if it's below 5km per trip is it worth the risk and bulk to arrive a couple of minutes earlier? The Msuper v3 is a great wheel it seems so far, but it may not be a universal daily driver for you, it shines for going fast for fun when you are fully geared up on your free time! However it may not be the most efficient choice for quick short commutes..

Also you are most likely not allowed to use a 1500W vehicle on sidewalks or even bike lanes, just the noise it eminates scare people, pets and even horses.. In addition 40 km/h is too fast for places where people walk and too slow to drive on the road so you're stuck in between, it's problematic in the city. Inmotion V8 is a great wheel that will be fast enough for most people, the speed is actually usable inside cities as the average speed is usually not any higher than 20-25 km/h anyway because of everything slowing or stopping you on the way.

The range could be limited or not that depends on how much you need. IMO the V8 and Msuper v3 are the top two wheels currently, one of these will not be the best in all cases, but you can own more than one wheel of course, if you want. If you for example have both a 14" V5F+ and the 18" Msuper v3 you should be covered on both sides of the scale, but if just owning a single wheel you might want something in between like the V8 or the KS16 which are more all rounders.

16 minutes ago, nomad said:

The range could be limited or not that depends on how much you need. IMO the V8 and Msuper v3 are the top two wheels currently, one of these will not be the best in all cases, but you can own more than one wheel of course, if you want. If you for example have both a 14" V5F+ and the 18" Msuper v3 you should be covered on both sides of the scale, but if just owning a single wheel you might want something in between like the V8 or the KS16 which are more all rounders.

may i ask.....

where do YOU put the GotWay 16"  ACM in your mind?

thanks, in advance

greg

Yes the ACM is strangely missing in my list there, it's not bad it's just hard to recommend.. In my mind it seems the ACM is an ongoing project still not polished enough, there's still recent reported quality issues like the tire scraping against the casing.. The external trolley handle accessory is fragile, adds too much bulk and can also add injury in case of a crash. It's a heavy wheel and I just don't want to recommend it unless you're happy to carry that weight. I think the lack of a good trolley solution is a deal breaker for these heavy wheels.

The ACM top speed was first advertised at 45 km/h, is that a good idea on a single 16" wheel, even with 1500W, I'm not certain about that. Maybe they lowered the top speed what is it now? If I want to go faster than 30 km/h I would opt for an 18" wheel but the other option KS18 lacks a trolley and is not tall enough to comfortably push it by the handle for longer stretches. Also with high speed available sooner or later you might be tempted to enter roads for short distances and then you want a proper tail light which the ACM does not have.

At lower speeds and higher portability I'd rather choose one of the other wheels I mentioned (V5F+, V8, KS16) and at higher speeds the Msuper v3 is killer (no pun intended).

1 hour ago, nomad said:

Yes the ACM is strangely missing in my list there, it's not bad it's just hard to recommend.. In my mind it seems the ACM is an ongoing project still not polished enough, there's still recent reported quality issues like the tire scraping against the casing.. The external trolley handle accessory is fragile, adds too much bulk and can also add injury in case of a crash. It's a heavy wheel and I just don't want to recommend it unless you're happy to carry that weight. I think the lack of a good trolley solution is a deal breaker for these heavy wheels.

The ACM top speed was first advertised at 45 km/h, is that a good idea on a single 16" wheel, even with 1500W, I'm not certain about that. Maybe they lowered the top speed what is it now? If I want to go faster than 30 km/h I would opt for an 18" wheel but the other option KS18 lacks a trolley and is not tall enough to comfortably push it by the handle for longer stretches. Also with high speed available sooner or later you might be tempted to enter roads for short distances and then you want a proper tail light which the ACM does not have.

At lower speeds and higher portability I'd rather choose one of the other wheels I mentioned (V5F+, V8, KS16) and at higher speeds the Msuper v3 is killer (no pun intended).

thank you so much for your reply

i'm 190 pounds or i'd really go for the V8 without a second thought, but i'm not sure i'd be happy with that choice in the end

i wonder if the Msuper V3 is the only choice for someone of my weight?

i appreciate your thoughts, very much

4 hours ago, nomad said:

If you go above 25 km/h you will need a helmet, that's a big thing to carry around when not wearing it, unless you're already used to that... Also how long are your distances, if it's below 5km per trip is it worth the risk and bulk to arrive a couple of minutes earlier? The Msuper v3 is a great wheel it seems so far, but it may not be a universal daily driver for you, it shines for going fast for fun when you are fully geared up on your free time! However it may not be the most efficient choice for quick short commutes..

Thanks for the notes.  It's not about getting places faster, as much as the freedom of going as quickly as I'd like.  I live in a small college town, the whole place is built on a hill, and generally ride on the roads in bike lanes...I would feel safer if I could go a little faster as the NB1 can sometimes make cars get frustrated at me, especially on downhills where the other bikers are zooming.

2 hours ago, nomad said:

You are right; I'm just concerned about buying a wheel only to find I want even more speed.  KS16 looks lovely, but currrently ehweels only has preorders, I see no American resellers that have any. I'm willing to wait but I'm not sure if they're actually coming.  Maybe the V5+ or V8 could work, but the V5F+'s top speed is only 15-17 according to Ewheels, which I'm worried might not be the jump I want.

I'm only ~130 lbs, so I don't need something with a lot of torque to get me up hills, just speed.

There are probably other places in the US, but I purchased my Gotway ACM 16 from a store in CA. Google myfunwheel and browse the square up store instead of his regular site. He's on this forum too.

I saw that the store was in CA and had free shipping, so it was an easy decision :). Now I'm waiting until he has the Msuper3s in stock :D

23 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

just concerned about buying a wheel only to find I want even more speed.  KS16 looks lovely, but currrently ehweels only has preorders, I see no American resellers that have any. I'm willing to wait but I'm not sure if they're actually coming.  Maybe the V5+ or V8

Our V8s are expected to arrive in the US in less than a week. As far as power & speed go, it subjectively feels like quite a step up from the superb V5F+

The backordered KS16s just cleared Customs an hour ago, expecting to dispatch these before the end of the week.

Archived