Not level on purpose

Just wanted to know if anyone out there has calibrated their wheel to be raised a few degrees on purpose instead of level?

I was thinking that if you are standing still on a flat surface without an EU its natural for the surface to be level but on an EU maybe it's more natural to have a small incline as you are also travelling forward.  So trying to do some fact finding before I re-calibrate and test for myself.

Some people have had wheels which were not level to begin with.  I guess it depends on the tilt-back behavior of your wheel and what you're comfortable with.  I've tried with a downwards pedal tilt before, and although it was okay as my generic wheel has a progressive tilt up sort of feel while riding, I sort of prefer a pretty level pedal from the get go.  Some EUC's do a tiltback near the top of the safe maximum speed based on the current riding conditions and don't let down until you slow down a bit (Ninebot One E+ on 1.2.5).  I'm not sure that I would want to ride with a pedal up stance as the tilt-back would make that even more angled resulting in increased soreness of the anterior muscles of the lower leg .  If anything it seems like a slight downwards tilt was more comfortable for me at least as your body tends to shift forwards at the ankles if standing straight up.  Maybe my foot position is further back than yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Not really had a chance to ride since posting but a couple of days ago managed to re-calibrate and put on a 1 degree incline.  Noticed the difference right away on straights when opening the throttle.  I liked it but will experiment with more of a tilt.  Maybe as Jason mentioned on the link above, I will put a 3 degree tilt on it.

20 minutes ago, Kevin Grandon said:

Since I ride in San Francisco there's a lot of hills. I find any forward tilt to be really uncomfortable when going up hills, so I generally always tilt 1 degree backwards.

How does that work out going downhill? 

I assume you go down as much as you go uphill...

1 accidentally re-calibrated to 4 degrees but I thought I would try it out at this level and I have to say it is even better (for me atleast).  Got to the second beep not realizing I was going that fast (I had disabled the first beep.  Beeps are still at factory settings).  The strange dip when making turns, although still there was much less.

Just wondering if putting some more degrees onto it would make it an even better ride.  

On 8/31/2016 at 11:03 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

How does that work out going downhill? 

I assume you go down as much as you go uphill...

Works fine for me. I guess since it's tilted backwards 1 deg you feel like you're kind lf leaning back when going down. Quite comfortable and I've never had any problems going down the steepest hills in SF.

Archived