IMG_306.jpg

1 hour ago, Rein-tech said:

GEEK WHEEL  14" electric unicycle 30 km/h high speed with Bluetooth App

Seq. Part Name Brand Name    
1 14" Motor 500W  MW    

2 Controller 30B with App bluetooth MW  

3 Battery 680wh  panasonic  
4 Outer tire 14x 2.125" Kenda    

So - basically it's the same wheel as what @Lz Lee offers but with 2.125" tire instead of 2.5" and without trimmed shell? What is the price / shipping / availability on this? What exact Panasonic Battery cells is it using? What about BMS - is it "safe" without danger of cut-out?

7 hours ago, HEC said:

So - basically it's the same wheel as what @Lz Lee offers but with 2.125" tire instead of 2.5" and without trimmed shell? What is the price / shipping / availability on this? What exact Panasonic Battery cells is it using? What about BMS - is it "safe" without danger of cut-out?

Yes this model is original version (  don't saw the shells,  So the tire wide also same as before, 14x 2.125 ")

Another parts are same. Panasonic Battery cells is guaranteed.

With the new MicroWorks 40A board with unlimited speed, how fast can the current available motors from MW go at?  Is the most powerful wheel that you offer for EUCs the 14" 500 W motor?  Are there torque issues when going at faster speeds or is the torque curve fairly level throughout the speed range?

For speeds of around 40 kph, is it best to have a motor of 1500 - 2000 W?

17 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Are there torque issues when going at faster speeds or is the torque curve fairly level throughout the speed range?

For speeds of around 40 kph, is it best to have a motor of 1500 - 2000 W?

Torque of electric motors is anything but level - ever! An electric motor, ANY ELECTRIC MOTOR has maximum torque at zero RPM and zero torque at maximum RPM. Maximum RPM and, therefore maximum speed, is defined by the kV value of the motor and THAT is defined by the number of turns of wire, the properties of the stator, the type of winding 'Y' or Delta and the strength of the magnets. For a given physical size of motor, winding to increasing kV to go faster also reduces torque giving lower acceleration and ability to support the weight  of the rider. So you cannot just build a motor to (say) have a theoretical top speed of 60kph so there is still plenty of torque at 40kph as the act of increasing the max RPM has in itself reduced the torque.

Even motor power in Watts alone does not give a clear indication of how fast safely a wheel can go. A higher kV motor has less turns of wire so these can be made thicker allowing much higher current and since volts times current = power in Watts that max power will be higher even though torque is lower.

Additionally, electric motors give best efficiency operating, under full power, loaded to something like 75-80% of no load (I.e. Absolute maximum) speed. So a higher top speed which is significantly higher than most users cruise speed will lower efficiency, and burn a lot more watts for any given speed.

Basically, unless we invent even stronger magnets with even lower resistance wire, there is no substitute for a physically bigger motor so that both power and torque can be increased at the same time. However, that will be heavier and will not physically fit in (say) a 14" wheel as the existing motor is already filling the entire hub. 

The result is that all our existing wheels are a compromise, higher voltage would give more power but then there is a further increase in cost, stressing of components and potentially voltages that become dangerous to life.

Thanks for the insightfulness, Keith.  Would increasing the width of the magnets and width of the windings have an effect on maximum speed or torque?  I wish there was some dynamic graphical chart that had an electric motor representation next to it showing what the effect would be if you adjusted the sizes and altered windings.  It would be a good learning tool to see what happens say if you increased the windings by 50% or decreased the wire thickness by 20%, etc ,etc.

Looking at a typical 14" electrical motor in a EUC, there appears to be separate magnets lining the inner side of the tire rim.  If one were to replace those magnets with one that is double the width and make a wider rim while increasing the number of windings to match, how would that affect the characteristics of the motor?  Do they use neodymium magnets in these wheels?  Is having a the strongest magnets possible the best approach as that would maximize the magnetic forces so there is less chance of slippage?  Instead of using an outer ring of magnets, could one use an outer ring of coils that are energized in an opposite direction to the inner coils?

Is there any way to have a high speed and high torque motor by somehow making a hybrid system?  It seems like when you are saying that one cannot make a 60 kph max motor and maintain torque values at 40 kph that it's a bit of a ying yang situation where you give to one and have to take away from the other.  What if one was to alternate the size of the wires in each coil?  In a 14" wheel there appears to be 51 coils (if I counted that correctly :wacko:).  There are 3 motor wires so does that mean there are 3 sets of 17 poles?  Would the wheel end up being very jerky if say one set of coils were a different thickness?

generic_EUC-motor-01.jpg

GEEK WHEEL  14" electric unicycle 45 km/h high speed with Bluetooth App

Seq. Part Name Brand Name    
1 14" Motor 1000W  MW    

2 Controller 40A with App bluetooth MW  

3 Battery 680wh  panasonic  
4 Outer tire 14x 2.125" Kenda

IMG_2320.PNG

IMG_2321.JPG

On 23 July 2016 at 0:12 AM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Would increasing the width of the magnets and width of the windings have an effect on maximum speed or torque?  Having a wider motor with wider magnets would allow torque and power to be increased but I do not know how effective it is compared with a bigger diameter, part of the torque increase then comes from having a longer moment arm. As an example of the effect of motor width, I have a model motor that is around 40mm in diameter and only 6mm deep magnets, its kV is 800 and it runs under load at around 10.5V, 13 Amps so it is around 130W and 6700 RPM - it powers a small half kilo park fly plane. I have another motor around 40mm diameter as well  but with 30mm deep magnets with a kV of 385. That also does around 6500 RPM but on 21 volts so power is 900 Watts and it flies a 4Kg model.

I wish there was some dynamic graphical chart that had an electric motor representation next to it showing what the effect would be if you adjusted the sizes and altered windings.  It would be a good learning tool to see what happens say if you increased the windings by 50% or decreased the wire thickness by 20%, etc ,etc. Yes agree.

Looking at a typical 14" electrical motor in a EUC, there appears to be separate magnets lining the inner side of the tire rim.  If one were to replace those magnets with one that is double the width and make a wider rim while increasing the number of windings to match, how would that affect the characteristics of the motor?  More torque, lower kV so possible to reduce the number of turns with thicker wire to bring the kV back up.

Do they use neodymium magnets in these wheels?  Yes they do.

Is having a the strongest magnets possible the best approach as that would maximize the magnetic forces so there is less chance of slippage? Magnet strength directly impacts power torque and kV stronger is always better

Instead of using an outer ring of magnets, could one use an outer ring of coils that are energized in an opposite direction to the inner coils? Would require brushes as they are moving, not really the best solution

Is there any way to have a high speed and high torque motor by somehow making a hybrid system? Problem would be interaction between the sets of coils and increased dead weight. Nearest simple solution would be an ability to switch from delta to Y configuration - a bit dangerous on an EUC!

Thanks Keith for taking the time to explain that!  I see how replacing the magnets with coils would overly complicate things with them spinning around.  Compared to any gains it's probably better to stick with magnets.  I did see something about axial flux motors which looked interesting.

So it sounds like a deeper magnet and wider diameter motor may be the simplest ways to increase torque.  The electric motors for ebikes seem so small, but the speeds they can go at are pretty incredible.  Are they not suitable for EUCs for any particular reason(s)?

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:39 AM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

The electric motors for ebikes seem so small, but the speeds they can go at are pretty incredible.  Are they not suitable for EUCs for any particular reason(s)?

I'd say main reason would be less torque as they don't need to balance rider.

If you watch this review of the Stealth Bomber e-bike, the motor appears to be tiny, but it packs a punch.  Later on in the video the one guy does a pop-a-wheelie going at speed.

This other video is a little nausea inducing, but it appears to have oodles of torque to make it up a steep hill climb.  For that little motor to be capable of 50 MPH speeds and propel the entire 116 pound bike with additional adult rider weight is pretty amazing to me.  It surely must have some massive torque capability?

https://www.electricbike.com/crystalyte-hub-motor/

It's all from the motherland, China, where all products come from.  :lol:  If you read that link under the second video, it tells a little bit more about the motor.  If that rider can pop a wheeliel while going at speed, he's acting as the balance controller so wouldn't an electronic one be able to do the same?  Maybe not I don't know.  Just going by a gut feeling.  There's probably some good reason for not using this Crystalyte motor.  Maybe it needs more power to run?  They have many LiPo battery packs loaded up in the bike, and I've read some operating voltages ranging from only 48V to much higher.  Maybe someone else who has some more knowledge of ebikes can comment.

EDIT:  Check out this customization of the Stealth Bomber E-Bike.  Wow, they use an 18 MOSFET controller!

https://www.electricbike.com/stealth-hot-rod/

I'm surprised though that the heat sink is so tiny.  It's just a small bar of aluminum. I guess with that many MOSFETs they split and diminish the heat given off by any single one so they don't need a big heatsink?  That bike accelerates faster to 70 kph in 5 seconds which is a lot faster than my car...:wacko: 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any plans on releasing a 16" version of your "Geekweel" with a type 40 controller board with comparable speed to a Gotway ACM or MSuper V3?  I like the speed and torque of the Gotway products, but the price is pretty high.  My Ninebot was $450 USD with $150 shipping costs from the US.   If there was a cheaper, reliable alternative that looked as good and came with high quality batteries I think you would tap into a large segment of customers who want to pay under $1000 for a wheel.  

I definitely would prefer a wheel with all of the great features we've seen so far on the Geekwheel, but 16 inch size.

I normally wouldn't be interested in a 14 inch wheel, but the Geekwheel is possibly the only one I might consider because of its muscle design and beefy tire.

Archived