IPS zero, not waterproof...

carniflex

Ive been riding my ips zero day n night, sunny days, rainy days on cement/paved roads and dirt roads. It has performed all times until yesterday. Coming home after a 4km ride in rain I couldnt turn it off. Figured it was water making it way into the interior and shortcircuit the power. Since I live 3 stairs up I decided ill just carry it up. lifting it up made the wheel alarm go on and since only way to turn it off is to push the powerbutton... that didnt work... 4 hours later the button still didnt work and I had coverd it with towels and laundry and a big paperbox and the alarm still went through all that and messed up my head.

So I start opening the damn thing while alarm still going BEEEP! Once i got the cover off WHOA, that noise is loud. I was being attacked by my cats  aswell as trying to figure out how to stop the sound, for some reason they reacted more aggressive towards me instead of the source.

Pulled off the on/off button but that didnt do anything. then I started disconnecting the bigger cords to find which cord led to the speaker. It took bout 10-15 seconds of that sound then i had to cover it up and get some ear protection. I dont know what devilish design those alarm are on the zero but its loud. (btw its the small yellow pin connector at the top that goes to the speaker).  I still have a small ringing in my ears now.

So now I got a smashed cover (couldnt handle unscrewing while listening) and a broken power button.

Decided to try it by just connecting the on/off wires today and... the thing works. Just have to fix some new casing and new power button and it should be good to go.

Figured I share my story if anyone else happens to come in same situation. if powerbutton fails, DO NOT LIFT IT UP! just let it dry out and then try the power button again.

I was ready smash the thing to pieces with a hammer if pulling the cords didnt work, Im glad I didnt have to.

Pulling the battery-wire would have also worked, it can't beep with no power ;)   It seems the Zero has a similar on/off-button as Firewheel, the wheel turns on when the button is NOT shorted. I guess the idea is that the power won't cut if the power button connector somehow gets loose during riding, or if the button malfunctions (so shorting the button connector pins should turn it OFF, not on).

Hi,I had the same issue with my ZERO. I can home after a rainy ride and it wouldn't shut down. So I took out the power button - and yes, the BEEP is oud - and placed it two hours in the oven at 50°C - reinstalled and it worked. Let's see what happen next time in the rain.

Does anybody know a good and water proof replacement for the switch? It is a round ~16mm switch.

• 7 months later...

@carniflex. I'm sorry, but your story made me laugh out loud.  I could actually see your cats wanting to attack you, with little pissed off cat faces and extended claws, and you wanting to attack your wheel with a hammer, and all the rest too.  I hope your ears stop ringing soon. 

WOAH! Just noticed date of OP.  Never mind, my statements stand, after all it was new to me.

Archived