How to protect KS16 while learning to ride?

enigma35

Hey all,

Excited to learn to ride my first EUC (KS16) which should be arriving at my doorstep on Tuesday, big thanks to @Jason McNeil.

Was wondering what you guys do to prevent it from getting scratched up during the learning phase. I was thinking maybe tape cardboard to the sides or something? I'll try to use the luggage strap to catch it from falling, but I'm sure it'll still take some falls here and there.

Any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Thanks! The downside of the protective foam that has been used to protect Wheels in the past, is that the double-sided tape leaves a residual that's infernally difficult to remove. 

@enigma35: If you can get hold of heptane (white gas), that stuff does wonders with tape adhesives. Acetone also does an acceptable job. Just be sure to test it on a hidden part of the plastic first, to make sure it doesn't react in a nasty way.

Hi @enigma35,

welcome to the club :)

I covered my wheel (IPS Zero) with a big towel and tape. Worked really fine.

Just have a look at the temperature of the wheel when operating in hot summer environment.

have fun learning ...

9 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Thanks! The downside of the protective foam that has been used to protect Wheels in the past, is that the double-sided tape leaves a residual that's infernally difficult to remove. 

Does the foam come with it? If not, where do I buy it from?

5 minutes ago, enigma35 said:

Does the foam come with it? If not, where do I buy it from?

You can buy from ebay or aliexpress or banggood.   Just search for unicycle protective foam or bumper foam, stuff like that. 

For example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumper-Strip-Airwheel-Electric-Unicycle-Wheelbarrow-Protective-Corner-Access-/231778610817?hash=item35f714ee81:g:32kAAOSwrklU~v4K

9 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Don't have to use the tape that comes with the foam. Something like this will come off much easier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391284435480?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=660554269328&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just now, enigma35 said:

Awesome, thanks cloud.

P.S. Your old KS14 vs 9B1 threads are one of the major reasons I have the kingsong right now. :) 

Thanks! You wont be disappointed, KS is a monster

12 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Put painter's masking tape on the unicycle, put the double side tape on the masking tape. put the foam on. You can take the masking tape off easily without any residual

Archived