Newbie first time rider question re:power

dubgee2002

I finally got my hands on a TG-M3.  After unpacking, and getting everything set up, I noticed that the charger is not charging the EU. I charged it for over 2 hrs, and still only 1 red light is on. I couldn't wait so I tried to hop on with not much success. It was only about 5 min.

My question is, is it easier to ride with more power/full battery, or does it not matter much? 

It matters more than you might realize, especially with the lowest priced ones right now. When the battery is low, there's a chance it might drop you at random. Try attaching the charger to the unicycle before plugging it in, then look for the light on the charger to turn on red. I recommend charging before every ride on beginner micro unicycles with small batteries like that one. This is based on research and experience with TG T3 and Airwheel X8.

Wheels use a lot of their power to keep you balanced forward and back.

Low battery equals low power equals low balancing ability.

Get the charger replace asap. and get it fully charged.

There are normally a few euc chargers on ebay. You may be able to get one more quickly off there if you can find a local seller. They're not very expensive.

It's always useful to have a spare when you do sort out a replacement from your original supplyer as you can then either carry one with you or leave it at your most regular long distance destination to charge up for the return.

I got a reply from the customer service at banggood, and they told me that it looks like a battery problem, not the charger.

Anyhow, they have agreed to send me a new battery. Is this difficult to replace on my own? Don't want to mess around taking apart a brand new EU, especially when I don't know how to do it.

Thanks,

Anyhow, they have agreed to send me a new battery. Is this difficult to replace on my own? Don't want to mess around taking apart a brand new EU, especially when I don't know how to do it.

​With TG wheels, it's very easy, see here : http://trottinetteselectriques.heberg-forum.fr/sutra9032_tg.html#9032

The battery is on the side opposite of the control panel.

It might be worth your while to get a cheap multi meter and poke the probes up the holes on the charger plug just to check if it's providing the 67v that it should be.

If it isn't I would still allow banggood to send a new battery as they are much more expensive than chargers, like I wrote before, you can pick up a charger from eBay quite cheaply. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my spare charger, but had a question.  Is it supposed to be green when I plug it in, or red? I have two chargers, and they're both green when I plug them in. Fan does not run at all either. 

Banggood is cheap, but man about about 2-3 weeks to ship. 

I got my spare charger, but had a question.  Is it supposed to be green when I plug it in, or red? I have two chargers, and they're both green when I plug them in. Fan does not run at all either. 

Banggood is cheap, but man about about 2-3 weeks to ship. 

At least both the chargers I have (one for the generic and one for Firewheel) show red light when they are charging. The generic charger has a fan which runs always when it's charging, the Firewheel charger is fanless. Sounds like the battery (or BMS) is dead or there's a connection issue, see if this gives you any clues:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/294-newbies-first-day-on-wheel/?do=findComment&comment=3300

One of the wires had came off from the charger port, but it could also happen in the connector between the port and the battery, or somewhere else.

Good gully, bad battery, don't throw away battery! If you find what's wrong with it, you maybe are to install both if you have room, if not, breaking down that pack and use the 18650 batteries for other uses...as only one cell can ruin a packpack, others good, and said dam expensive...

I finally received my battery in the mail...it doesn't fit. Picture 1 is the battery attachments for the EU. Picture 2 is what came with the battery. This whole process has taken about 1 month,and I still haven't even been able to try the dang thing out. Its very frustrating to walk by my EU everyday, and not be able to ride it because they shipped a faulty battery. 

Im worried getting another battery that fits will take another 2-3 weeks or so just be be resolved. 

Is it simple/possible to just swap out the connector that doesn't fit to one that fits? I would guess a hardware store would have the parts. 

20150718_150609.jpg

20150718_150617.jpg

The yellow connector is the one which supplies power to the wheel and is correct the other connector is for charging and you can swap out the connector from your other battery.

If you don't have a soldering iron the easy bodgers way to do it is to cut the wires an inch or so from the fitting and reconnect with a small connection block which you can get from any electrical or diy store.

Pretty much any connector should do, as long as it can handle the current (charging side current is much lower than the power-wires side) and you don't go shorting it or connect the wires wrong way around. If using screw terminals (which I think Gimlet means with "small connection block"), better put some electrical insulation tape around them, so the bare metal parts cannot go shorting anything.

About the connectors, the yellow connector is called XT60 (can handle 60 Amps), and those are available from pretty much any RC-store, as they're very common in radio-controlled cars/boats/helicopters/planes/whatever: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10474

The white one looks like MAYBE a female Tamiya-connector: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiya_connector

The red one in the lower picture looks like female Deans-connector: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=543

You can probably get any of these from a local RC/hobby-store for a few bucks/euros.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the same issue with the cheap chinese EU.

They sent me a charger that they claimed didn't work, so they sent me another charger.

When i turn the EU on it moves forward, backward, then all top lights light up red and it beeps.

They claimed next it was the battery, but i asked for a refund and they gave it to me (plus let me keep the EU)

So if you figure out what is wrong with yours please let me know so that i may be able to fix mine.

I too have the same issue with the cheap chinese EU.

They sent me a charger that they claimed didn't work, so they sent me another charger.

When i turn the EU on it moves forward, backward, then all top lights light up red and it beeps.

They claimed next it was the battery, but i asked for a refund and they gave it to me (plus let me keep the EU)

So if you figure out what is wrong with yours please let me know so that i may be able to fix mine.

I already answered in your own topic, check if it helps:

Archived