best tyre bar/Psi

Guest Toma

I like to set mine at 50PSI.  At that pressure and my weight (about 200lbs) it feels firm when you get on it.  After a week or two pressure gradually goes down to the point where you feel it squish down a little when you get on it.  I don't like that too soft feel, it changes the ride feel too much,  that is when I pump it back up.  But probably 45-55 psi is a good place to start.:mellow:

2 minutes ago, Toma said:

think I will start at the 50psi and take it from there

I have 2 16-inch tires. One says on the sidewall 36 psi, one says 44 psi. Both work great at 50 psi. At 50 psi you definitely feel the bumps, but I don't mind the harder ride because the wheel handles much livelier.

I’m a big guy (+100kg), and I tend to push it to the limit, so I run my T680+ with 4bar, and the Lhotz with 4,2bar.

I don’t worry about that, tires dont burst just like that. At 4bar (60psi).

The T680+ with it’s smaller tire is rock hard, at 4,2 the Lhotz still has some flex (although, subjectively, some seems to come from the pedals).

Under high load (speed, weight, fast manoeuvering) a tire needs a higher resistance to compression = stiffer side walls and/or higher pressure.

Higher tire pressures also boost the range and will make the wheel more reactive (less friction) and improves control (less flex).

The lower the side walls of a tire is, the stiffer it has to be and/or the higher pressure you have to put in it (or both) to get the same resistance to compression.

This ofcourse reduces the impact absorption and as such making them less comfortable to drive.

IPS positions the Lhotz as the off-road model, so a wider, higher, more flexible tire (together with the different threading) does make sense. This way it has more grip (friction) for off-road use but less control (more flex) on a hard flat surface.

You have to realise, that if the tire doesn’t take the beating (flexes), it’s all the rest that will:  the pedals, wheel bearings, joint cartilage (especially the knees) will wear out quicker. Therefor, if you do a lot of (high) jumps with your wheel these higher pressures  are probably to be applied with caution.

A girl of 55kg mainly doing acrobatics is something different that a big guy > 100kg going at 35KmH of a smooth surface.

I believe it’s best to adapt the tire pressure to your weight, riding style, and type of tire, instead of just copying numbers from other people.

Archived