18" Wheel EUC Smaller Shell

It looks like the only EUC available with an 18" wheel size is the King Song KS18 which has loads of room to spare for batteries in its housing.  What I was wondering is if EUC makers could make the 18" with a smaller shell like on a regular sized 16" EUC do you think it might sell much better and reach a larger target audience who want the benefits of a larger wheel but maybe not the extra large size of the KS18?

Why doesn't Gotway or KingSong or others produce an 18" EUC with long distance capabilities but without the super sized housing?  I know the larger housing provides the ability to attach a seat, but that could be accommodated with a simple pole attachment like on a bicycle without the need for all the extra plastic.

Edit:. Ooh I didn't know that the Gotway Msuper came in an 18" wheel!  Also there is the Solowheel Extreme 18" EUC.

http://solowheel.com/product/xtreme

18 inch should have the batteries in the wheel, however you need to build a custom motor with a large diameter stator or any other configuration that lets you use the space in the wheel. So far all EUC only use modified ebike motors, no one seems to have built a EUC specific motor yet.

You can see one with space in the stator here, an ideal 18 inch one would be bigger.

BionX_Hinterradmotor_1_web.jpg

3 hours ago, lizardmech said:

18 inch should have the batteries in the wheel, however you need to build a custom motor with a large diameter stator or any other configuration that lets you use the space in the wheel. So far all EUC only use modified ebike motors, no one seems to have built a EUC specific motor yet.

You can see one with space in the stator here, an ideal 18 inch one would be bigger.

BionX_Hinterradmotor_1_web.jpg

DAAO / XINAOMA builds many motors speficially meant for "self-balancing wheelbarrows" ( :D ), at least many IPSs, Firewheels and probably Gotways use their motors, but they are not listed here (well, at least I never found the Firewheel motor in that catalog, although it's been built by Xinaoma):

http://www.daaomotor.com/html/Self-balancing_Wheelbarrow_Motor/

The motors for the "big name"-wheels seem to be speficially built for them, and not "catalog"-products?

2 hours ago, esaj said:

DAAO / XINAOMA builds many motors speficially meant for "self-balancing wheelbarrows" ( :D ), at least many IPSs, Firewheels and probably Gotways use their motors, but they are not listed here (well, at least I never found the Firewheel motor in that catalog, although it's been built by Xinaoma):

http://www.daaomotor.com/html/Self-balancing_Wheelbarrow_Motor/

The motors for the "big name"-wheels seem to be speficially built for them, and not "catalog"-products?

But they're still based on existing main stream products and are only OEM builds tweaked for the requirements of the EUC assembler/ manufacturer The bearings having problems lately on different products. It's not optimised in all point of views. 

Why do the EUCs still have this tube tires and not tubeless tires? Look on the valves how they look like to fit under the hood and don't hit he pedal arms. That's patch work and not engineering.

An EUC should been developed as a green field approach. 

5 hours ago, lizardmech said:

18 inch should have the batteries in the wheel, however you need to build a custom motor with a large diameter stator or any other configuration that lets you use the space in the wheel.

Wouldn't that turn the wheel into a very heavy flyweel and put very different loads on the motor, especially when accelerating or stopping? 

2 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Wouldn't that turn the wheel into a very heavy flyweel and put very different loads on the motor, especially when accelerating or stopping? 

Nah, they're outrunners so the rotor is on the outside the, only rotational mass is the the tire rim, magnets and the two covers on the sides of the motor.

1 minute ago, dmethvin said:

@dmethvin, the centre of an EUC wheel is the stator not the rotor, batteries inside the wheel would behave no differently to in the case. Not sure about the adantages of having them there other than lower centre of gravity, don't think it would make the case much smaller without also reducing the motor power by having less room for the stator?

I agree with @esaj, I've seen a couple of people state that EUC wheels are modified electric bike wheels and, I don't believe it either. Brushless outrunner motors have sufficient torque to run direct drive without the losses of gearboxes and have high efficiency. That means they are the ideal technology for any electric vehicle. The bigger the rotor diameter the more torque they are capable of, there is more or less only one way to build them which is with a large number of electromagnetic cores in groups of 3 in the stator and a set of powerful magnets glued to the inside of the rotor. They will look the same as the ones in any small electric vehicle, indeed exactly the same design is used in my model aircraft. The fact that the rotor is also the wheel rim on most wheels, certainly the KS-14C for example, confirms it has been purpose built, unless there is a readily available supply of 14" wheeled electric bikes that I've yet to notice? I've certainly not noticed any spoke holes in mine!

i do believe that some of the larger 18" wheels may, possibly, make use of 14" or 16" motors with larger rims, but I haven't looked that closely at them

They are all based off the 9 continent ebike motor, there's two versions a smaller one seen in 14" and a bigger one seen in 16" and 18". They are semi customized, you can adjust motor width by the number of stator laminations, there's two inner hub options, a cheap steel one that is lighter and a heavier alloy one that absorbs more heat but weighs more. Aside from that they can change turns and wire types. I think they might vary a little in pole count between motor manufacturers but they are largely the same. No one makes an 18" it's just the 16" motor with a bigger rim.

Even solowheel, ninebot and uniwheel appear to use a variation of the same motor from the images I have seen.

I like the design of the Cloud Ti/ Te motor. It eliminates that annoying shaft from the eBike sources. It also eliminates the pedal arms with this strange mountings. Bigger bearings to last longer/ able to handle mire force. This are the ideas we need to make proper products.

Than we need a shell to dismount with some easy actions and a main plug to the motor to eassier able to change tire and/ or tube.

It's weird how the King Song KS18 looks so much larger in this video as compared to the video that I posted in the first post.  I still think King Song would benefit from selling an 18" wheel with slightly smaller shell to help compete with Gotway's Msuper18.  The Msuper shell just seems like It's better proportioned to its 18" wheel.

I've seen it, but I thought it was a 16" wheel.  I didn't realize it was also 18".  I do hear that battery range isn't so great on the Solowheel Extreme, but I guess you have to sacrifice something for the sleekness.   They should incorporate an external power port so people can throw an extended battery pack into a backpack and plug a wire into the wheel for more range.

Archived