Evolution of two-wheeled transportation

Lisny Abby

From land to sky and sea, human’s trip modes have undergone several thousand years’ development with more power modes. For myself, I show special preference to two-wheeled transportation. The followings are some Historical Pictures which is my interest. Hope you can enjoy them as I do.
roller-1.jpg
Gig in Roman Silver Coin
roller-2.jpg
Roman Chariot in Trajan's Column
roller-3.jpg
Pompeii ruins: two-wheeled trolley
roller-4.jpg
It seems that I have witnessed that disaster.
roller-5.jpg
Maid and horse-drawn vehicle in 18th century

PS:The design of bodywork and wheels have been improved greatly.
roller-6.jpg
Technical engineer is repairing a medieval gig.
roller-7.jpg
In 1770, Sivrac, a French person invented the most primitive bike, with two wheels and without transmission gears.
roller-8.jpg
In 1817, a German baron Carl Drais made a wooden wheel vehicle, adding a handlebar to control direction so that people can change the moving direction.
roller-9.jpg
In 1874, a truly modern bicycle was born. Lawson, a British man, added a chain and chain wheel to bicycle, enabling the rotation of the rear wheel to go forward.
roller-10.jpgHowever, it was still not coordinating and stable enough.
The derivatives of bicycles have emerged in Europe, and human’s trip modes have entered a personalized era.
roller-11.jpg
In 1885, German William Haim Daimler made the world's first motorcycle in its true sense.
Concept vehicles: a symbol of human imagination
roller-13.jpg
Airwheel self-balancing electric scooter
The greatest charm of technology to change lifestyle lies in that it can make us freer and happier, especially the means of transportation adopting clean energy which is simpler and more environmentally friendly.

I've noticed my evolution to more and more expensive modes of transportation! That included 1, 2, and 4 wheeled vehicles. Thank you for the journey through history. 

I'll add one more stop: The Roper steam powered velocipede: a 160 lb bike with a working fire and boiler on board!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_steam_velocipede

Roper1896Bike.jpg

1 hour ago, Villac said:

I'll add one more stop: The Roper steam powered velocipede: a 160 lb bike with a working fire and boiler on board!

......... which not only allowed you to hot-foot it to work, but roast your nuts on the way ;-)

Insecurity? He is a fireman...? Looks like a flamethrower, I don't think it actually moves...

They seem to reinvent the walking cycle even today, I won't post all those pics...but for children to elderly and some weird ones in-between...

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

Insecurity? He is a fireman...?

A VERY deaf fireman.

That is a pulse jet, anything up to 150Dba of noise  right next to his ears. Just a bit louder than standing beside the exhaust of a top fuel dragster while the engine is rev'ed up. Not to mention several feet of flame coming out of the back. 

On 2016/5/12 at 0:19 AM, MetricUSA said:

Insecurity? He is a fireman...?

They seem to reinvent the walking cycle even today, I won't post all those pics...but for children to elderly and some weird ones in-between...

understand. . .

• 7 months later...

Archived