Locking up the 'bot

bumblebee

I'm sure folks have given a great deal of thought to this, but has anyone come up with a way to lock down his/her wheel? When I got it, I thought, oh, I can lock it with the app ... but that seems to me to leave the wheel on, which doesn't seem great for battery life, and of course, it doesn't stop someone from carrying it away. I think others have mentioned here that you could put a cable through the trolley handle bracket, and then of course someone could just unscrew the bracket, but at least you'd have some initial deterrence. Has anyone come up with anything else? I never thought I'd say this, but this issue might actually cause me to relinquish the wheel (after having worked so hard to learn to ride it!) and just ride a bike more often.

Wheels with beefy fixed handles would be much easier to lock up.

For example gotway msuper

Alas the ninebot doesn't  isn't the easiest device to secure, you would have to carry a lockable cage or a wheel clamp device.

Maybe you could put an alarm on it ?

Or maybe have a cage at your destination.

I guess the theory is  you take it with you at all times.

The ninebot is not so big and  relatively OK to carry for short distances.

Hope you find something that works though, being a pioneer is not always straightforward.

Jer

A small pair of wire cutters likely would go through that smaller link pretty easily making it a quick snip and grab.  For an expensive item that can be carried off so easily I don't think that lock hack is good enough.  It there was some way to loop the thicker lock around the pedal or pedals that might be better unless someone is smart enough to know how to remove the pedals...

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

For an expensive item that can be carried off so easily...

My Firewheel is 15kg, I wouldn't say it can be carried off easily. If anyone tried to grab it and run they would have a hard time running! :P  For just securing the EUC near a charger at a table in the coffee shop while you go up to the counter for a drink, I think it's fine. I would never lock it to a bike rack and go inside a building though.

• Upvote 1

If the pedals are on pretty good requiring hex tools to remove, I wonder if drilling a small hole on the corner of the pedal and bevelling the edges to allow the thick lock loop to go through might also work avoiding the need for the weak link.  Kind of like an ear ring hole in the pedal...

Heavier things have grown legs and walked off.  I bought the cheapest, ugliest, thickest 34" LCD screen for my business, and sure enough someone broke through the side window and ripped it off the wall with it's heavy wall mount.  That thing must have weighed 50-60 pounds.  Where there's a will there's a way, and with common thieves I find that if it's not bolted down and secured well enough you may as well plan on losing it.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

If the pedals are on pretty good requiring hex tools to remove, I wonder if drilling a small hole on the corner of the pedal and bevelling the edges to allow the thick lock loop to go through might also work avoiding the need for the weak link.  Kind of like an ear ring hole in the pedal...

Heavier things have grown legs and walked off.  I bought the cheapest, ugliest, thickest 34" LCD screen for my business, and sure enough someone broke through the side window and ripped it off the wall with it's heavy wall mount.  That thing must have weighed 50-60 pounds.  Where there's a will there's a way, and with common thieves I find that if it's not bolted down and secured well enough you may as well plan on losing it.

1358142845_1712868382.gif

• Upvote 2

On ‎27‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 6:37 PM, bumblebee said:

Thanks so much for the tips, guys. I think the wheel clamp poses the same problems as a U lock or similar-where/how would you stick it? But I'm thinking some combination of alarm plus ineffective lock might work well enough:

Locks are for honest people. That hack is one of the better examples...

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I padlock a chain around the notches in the foot rest. It can't be slipped off because of the notches. A small bike lock just the right size could also work. You can then padlock the tail of the chain to a post or use a bike lock through the chain loop.

• Like 1