Leaperkim Sherman L 151V 4000wh 20" 102lbs

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

1300Wh more than Lynx is pretty nice for people who wants a long range wheel, I think it's a nice upgrade from the Sherman S if you don't mind the extra 2.5kg's, other features it brings that Sherman S doesn't have: Higher speed, PWM tiltback, Smart BMS, higher torque, progressive spring suspension.

More I think about it the more I feel like that I have no actual reason to upgrade from a Sherman S. I don’t need the higher top speed, increased torque or the progressive springs (these I can upgrade myself if needed). And the 400wh difference would be probably something that would be hard to notice.

Smart BMS and the other safety features would be nice though, but for my personal needs the S has plenty of speed and power. At least after you get going that is, it is kinda sluggish from 0-20kmh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, YCC said:

There is nothing new in Sherman L, it has same motor and same motherboard of Lynx. I am of the opinion that L is only a version of higher battery capacity of Lynx. This is not a new wheel. The new feature of hall-sensor as mentioned above is an upgraded firmware, the feature will be realized in Lynx and Patton as well. 

When looking for a new wheel, people will ride competing wheels that they are interested in, and then decide. At the end of the day, people are going to choose the wheel that they like best among what are available, not whether a wheel is all new from the ground up or not.

For example, I am looking for my next wheel. By chance, I had an opportunity to test ride briefly a Lynx and a V14 on a coned track, back-to-back. I rode my S22 to the Intro2speed event.

All I can say is, the Lynx stood out, even though I wasn't riding that fast. The V14 is most likely a nice wheel, but it didn't speak to me like the Lynx did. Surprisingly, I thought my S22 was still very good in comparison, for my type of riding, and how I ride.

Note that it didn't matter to me whether the Lynx is based on the Patton and ride similarly. What I care about is how it rides and feel compared to the other wheels on my short list.

Since the Lynx killer are on the horizon, I shall wait to see how the Griffin, F22, and possibly others compare. The Griffin can very well be a Commander GT with a 151.2 V controller and 2700 Wh battery. And other than Casey, I don't know who else have bought a Commander GT. Sales wise, the Commander GT may have been a flop, but that wouldn't matter if it turns out the Griffin rides and performs better than the Lynx, as an example.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, YCC said:

There is nothing new in Sherman L, it has same motor and same motherboard of Lynx. I am of the opinion that L is only a version of higher battery capacity of Lynx. This is not a new wheel. The new feature of hall-sensor as mentioned above is an upgraded firmware, the feature will be realized in Lynx and Patton as well. 

Do you think the GT pro plus is a new wheel? However, GT pro plus not only upgraded the battery capacity from 3000WH to 4400Wh but also upgraded the motor power from 4000W to 4500W.  On the contrary, Sherman L only upgraded the battery capacity of Lynx from 3000WH to 4000Wh, and call it a new wheel.  

It's a different body. The GT Pro has space inside for additional cells, the Lynx doesn't.

It's quite literally a different wheel model.

They could have called it a Lynx X or something, but sherman is their range of wheels with a large battery capacity so it made sense to be a sherman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Anthraksi said:

More I think about it the more I feel like that I have no actual reason to upgrade from a Sherman S. I don’t need the higher top speed, increased torque or the progressive springs (these I can upgrade myself if needed). And the 400wh difference would be probably something that would be hard to notice.

Smart BMS and the other safety features would be nice though, but for my personal needs the S has plenty of speed and power. At least after you get going that is, it is kinda sluggish from 0-20kmh.

Same here, I was thinking a lot about it and the only thing I'm really missing on the Sherman S is PWM tiltback, if it had that it'd be perfect, the other features are nice but I'm not sure it's worth the money + 2.5kg heavier wheel for me personally.

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Same here, I was thinking a lot about it and the only thing I'm really missing on the Sherman S is PWM tiltback, if it had that it'd be perfect, the other features are nice but I'm not sure it's worth the money + 2.5kg heavier wheel for me personally.

I have never ridden the S to the beeps. I got a 70kmh tiltback set and never felt the need to go faster, after 60kmh I get the feeling on the back of my head that if I wanna go this fast, there are better vehicles for it. Plus I guess even the S beeps when you are pushing it but uhhh, I feel like I can’t hear them above certain speeds. But you can also use Darknessbot/euc world to keep an eye on the PWM but I personally don’t like having extra apps open and a phone mounted on my wrist just for that.

But yeah, I think I would be able to get around 2500€ max for the S if I sold it now and that would leave me to pay minimum of 2k€ for the upgrade to the L. Tough upsell for the things you get with it, especially if they manage to make a FW upgrade for the hall sensor redundancy thing. But I feel like that might need some hardware changes to the controller which isnt present in the current versions.

I wonder why they insist on routing the cable that connects the two halves of the batteries into one under the pedals. It’s a minor risk, but one thats certainly possible that you can sever it while offroading. Moving it to the top of the battery case would eliminate that risk.

22 minutes ago, Anthraksi said:

I wonder why they insist on routing the cable that connects the two halves of the batteries into one under the pedals. It’s a minor risk, but one thats certainly possible that you can sever it while offroading. Moving it to the top of the battery case would eliminate that risk.

Is it still being implemented this way? This is a deal breaker for me. I'm more concerned about water ingress going through puddles etc when the wheel is older. I was hoping it was implementing the Lynx way of doing things.

5 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Is it still being implemented this way? This is a deal breaker for me. I'm more concerned about water ingress going through puddles etc when the wheel is older. I was hoping it was implementing the Lynx way of doing things.

Lynx does it the same way and I don't see the problem really, on the Lynx the lower protective cover is made of metal and the packs themselves is very well sealed.

• Upvote 1

haha, not being critical, i'd just like to see their math.

says max load is 265 pounds but the tubeless tire in their photo says 309 pounds max loading. better than the lynx at 267 pounds.

i don't care because i'm only using them on the raw land, not pavement, and i only weigh 170 pounds these days. the lynxes are definitely not my package carriers on pavement.

IMG_0058.thumb.jpeg.d82212ca79b20d73e3491488d3e09f43.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Lynx does it the same way and I don't see the problem really, on the Lynx the lower protective cover is made of metal and the packs themselves is very well sealed.

Thank you for reminding me! I forgot, Ah yes, they did. But its a lot better than the Sherman-S due to being totally covered. Whilst the S had exposed plastic around the wires in a couple of places. Well if the Lynx is totally sealed in the back it can't be any worse than a normal battery case. I will still consider it. Looks great for a long distance wheel. Even though the wheel might be quite expensive at the start the robustness will make it cheaper in the long run when we have a crash.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Ah if its metal instead of plastic like on the SS then it doesnt matter. I just saw some bumpers for the Lynx that went under the pedals over the battery wires and thought it was still made of plastic.

But like I said its a minor concern, I don’t feel like its easy to sever the cables even on the SS, you’d have to get really unlucky.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Oh right! I forgot I saw that on wheels before I caught onto the SL announcements.

Wild how the tire goes from flat (unmounted) to round when mounted and pumped up. I wonder how the tire profile will influence stability and ability

6 minutes ago, txwheel said:

A few folks mentioned the Sherman L is essentially the Lynx, just with more battery capacity.  On paper that may be mostly true, but there are two benefits I haven't seen mentioned. 

1. Heavier wheels provide more stability at speed, so compared to the Lynx, the L is likely to feel more planted when going fast.
  2. Higher speeds cause deeper sag and also faster battery drain.  The 4000wh battery provides 1300 more WH of capacity over the Lynx, providing a safer buffer for sag.  Thus, Leaperkim might allow the firmware to enable higher speeds across a wider range of the wheel's battery life.  That is ultimately LK's call, so we'll see what sort of limit they set in the firmware.

On top of that, we could see the Sherman L as being to the Lynx what the EX30 is to the Master: a higher battery capacity wheel that's more for touring than the lower capacity, agile off-road beast. We can see something similar in Extreme Bull having the Gt Pro+ (or CP50S) and the Griffin. 

The Sherman and the Lynx series are supposed to accommodate different parts of the market, not necessarily be improvements of each other. I assume those who have the Lynx don't need the range of the SL, and if they need the range, then getting the SL will effectively be a trade-out (though at a loss of their Lynx is used).

I've been wondering whether Begode will release a high-capacity sibling to the ET Max. The GT Pro felt like it came outta nowhere, so maybe it was based on a Begode wheel that's being further developed?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Anthraksi said:

But like I said its a minor concern, I don’t feel like its easy to sever the cables even on the SS, you’d have to get really unlucky.

I ride a lot of off road and not the least bit worried about that. 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

More footage... showing how it behaves when you cut the hall sensor wires...literally

I feel like there's a bomb defusal joke to be made here, but the fact that the wheel keeps pushing is kinda ruining it.

Anyways, cutting the wires, one by one, while in motion, must've been pretty nerve wracking. Glad that's something we don't have to worry about!

That's a scary noise at low speeds... but such a nice step in the right direction for safety and rider confidence!

Physically cutting the wires though... like, dude we can see you unplugged them that's good enough, eh?

• Haha 1

my land is unrideable without moving the pedals forward. 

moving them down isn't as important. but the shaft pf my leg needs to be in the center of the wheel.

i know if i spend $115 on beidou pedal drops and $200 to hou ningning for 40mm forward backplate, i can probably relocate the pedals to the correct position and without lots of nights with hou, idk how the king song f22 pedals can move. plus the f22 has dinky 280mm length pedals, lynxes are 300mm.

btw, i really like the lynx pedals.

idk how the same size motor on a heavier wheel has more torque, but i'm willing to take their word for it/

I really appreciate they are adding this extra safety feature and being so transparent. There really is nothing negative to say about adding extra safety! This should be one of the top priorities. Thumbs up from me :thumbup:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, novazeus said:

idk how the same size motor on a heavier wheel has more torque, but i'm willing to take their word for it

I think there could be two possibilities: 1) the motor windings, and maybe even the firmware, are tuned to give more of a torque-y response than on the Lynx; or 2) the added torque is to compensate for the extra weight the SL has over the Lynx, making their torque differences result in similar performance.

Either way, Leaperkim is suggesting the extra weight affects the rider, suspension, and wind resistance more than it should affect the acceleration and deceleration. But, of course, real-world results will vary

• Like 1

Can someone give more detail about the unplugged wires:

The EUC will not cut off only when that specific wire is disconnected or cut off? It will come to a stop when the batteries drain even without the wire being connected?

Only that wire, or more wires? Will it not cut off even if a bunch of more wires are disconnected or severed?

The Lynx and the ET Max had a similar but less advanced feature?