Begode monopoly.. ?

I can understand what is causing it. The small distributors are causing Begode headache asking for discounts because they can't compete with the big boys. 

Unfortunately the big boys will always have the power to price gouge. However, considering they have a greater market share they'll be giving up more by doing so. 

Implementing pricefixing will hurt the small guys in the end because they can't price competitively to gain market share.

The big sellers will get around this by offering free gifts. Price fixing doesn't work. 

Edited by alcatraz

Why is the T4 Max 1000$ less than the Extreme and the same as the Falcon? Is it that much worse build quality/waterproofing wise?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My understanding of MAP pricing is it is the minimum advertised price for an item.  Resellers can sell at any price they want but can't advertise it lower than MAP.  It would benefit buyers to reach out to resellers for a better prices before purchase.  It can't hurt but may get you a deal.

if all resellers where to advertise with the same prices, there would be no need for anyone else than Begode to present a price and a list of resellers.  In the end there's no need for the resellers... anybody wants to sell a Dell computer? Nah, waste of time

Price fixing is a crime in almost the whole world.

Though considering that Begode is in China, nobody is gonna sue them.

Edited by atdlzpae

Good thing the dealer can lower price by 100-200$ when the sale happens. (That's how i got my wheel from 1999$ down to 1850$. When i bought it in store.)

Only thing needed to be done was skipping the "check" write out. (I still got paper work/warranty for the wheel..)

This "Price MAP" is complete waste of time. Dealers will put their own price anyways.

Edited by Funky

Pros of Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP):

1. Brand Value Protection: Ensures that products are not advertised at prices that could devalue the brand.
  2. Fair Competition: Creates a level playing field for all retailers, preventing large retailers from undercutting smaller ones.
  3. Enhanced Service Quality: Encourages retailers to provide better customer service and support, as they aren't forced to compete solely on price.
  4. Stable Pricing: Helps maintain consistent pricing across different sales channels, providing predictability for both retailers and consumers.
  5. Increased Profit Margins: Allows retailers to maintain healthier profit margins, which can support better business sustainability and growth.

Cons of Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP):

1. Reduced Price Competition: Limits the ability of retailers to compete on price, which could result in higher prices for consumers.
  2. Legal Risks: MAP policies need to be carefully implemented to avoid violating antitrust laws, which can be complex and vary by region.
  3. Enforcement Challenges: Monitoring and enforcing MAP policies can be difficult, especially with the prevalence of online sales and international markets.
  4. Retailer Frustration: Some retailers may feel constrained by MAP policies and perceive them as favoring certain competitors or stifling their competitive strategies.
  5. Consumer Perception: If consumers perceive that prices are being artificially kept high, it might negatively impact their view of the brand or retailer.

MAP is legal in the United States, but not in the United Kingdom.
It will be interesting to see how Begode enforces this in different regions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other EUC manufacturers have already been implementing MAP for years.

• Like 3

Isn't the whole point of selling Begode products is to get the price they want and dictate? Why then put extra rules for others after they sell their product? Wouldn't a distributor have the right to choose how they want to sell the product AFTER they bought it from you?

I don't know how it all works tbh

Why not they just say publicly, "Ungerground is no longer going to give you deals" jk

Its an odd one. They could insist on advertising at the price they ask even if its illegal. But they have no way of knowing how much the retailer actually sells it for.

If I owned a shop I could say the ET Max is 3800USD. The customer then could say I will give you 2400USD for it. Nothing to stop the shop accepting it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Asphalt said:
MAP is legal in the United States, but not in the United Kingdom.

It will be interesting to see how Begode enforces this in different regions.

MAP is also illegal in Australia.

Begode has been doing this for a long time with consequences and price threats against dealers, took a while for this to get leaked suprisingly. Have had local dealers get into trouble for it.

Begode does whatever Begode wants without consequences.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Asphalt said:

MAP is legal in the United States

Overall United States is extremely anti-consumer. With stuff like "You can register in a gym over the internet, but to cancel you have to send a certified mail" or "We can call it "purchase", but that doesn't mean you own it".

MAP is legal in US, Price Fixing is not.
Call me stupid, but I kinda don't see much difference between them.

Normal businesses do MSRP - Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. And if business wants to sell/advertise below it, it's their choice.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

FWIW - what the manufacturer is trying to do here is protect the small number of wheel retailers from putting each other out of business. The price that the manufacturer gets is the same either way. As a one-time, small-scale seller of wheels I can tell you that it is pretty disheartening when the big vendors price their wheels in a way that is impossible for the smaller players to match. 

Edited by winterwheel
typo