With the mten4 being more compact, and the falcon just one step above the mten5, the local response hasn't been people rushing to sell their mten4 and go for a shiny new mten5. Some odd design choices for giving this the mten5 name. I am mixed feeling on this announcement.

The mten5 and falcon seem to be similar in freespin speed though, but the mten5 is still 84v while the falcon is 100v

Seems like they are using the axle of the A2 instead of the mten mini alxe design. 

3 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Would love to gift my 9 year old daughter an pgrade, but I also see no reason why I should replace the MCM5 V2 800wh with a heavier Mten5?  

Assuming the shipped wheel lives up to the hype, here are features that could be considered "upgrades" over the MCM5v2 (which is only 3lbs lighter):

1. Higher free-spin speed.
  2. Improved ingress protection.
  3. Modern firmware that supports features like PWM alarms.
  4. Faster charging. Up to 8A charging.
  5. More visible lights.
  6. Wider tire.
  7. Tubeless tire.
  8. Stronger axle.
  9. Bluetooth speaker.
  10. Display
  11. Shell that you don't have to worry about breaking every time you open it up.
  12. Easier to get parts.

There are still a few features that I prefer on the MCM5 v2:

1. Ability to trolley without power.
  2. Centered handle
  3. Lighter
  4. Proven reliability

Whether or not it's a worthwhile upgrade depends on your daughter's use-case and value priorities.

Edited by Asphalt

LOL, for a few dollars more you can get an Inmotion V10F with 25% more battery, almost twice the motor power and a 16'' wheel... and it still weighs pretty much the same. The only selling point of this wheel is the waterproofness rating - it that is even correct.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Would love to gift my 9 year old daughter an pgrade, but I also see no reason why I should replace the MCM5 V2 800wh with a heavier Mten5?  

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Same weight as Tesla 2, but with lower power & a smaller battery... is this really progress?

I'm not convinced about durability either: this seems to use the Mten4 "parallelogram" metal frame design which likes to get bent and rub the tire after a few tumbles, and is just as expensive to replace as the old plastic shells. 

Difficult not to agree here, doesn't feel like a few years worth of progress. It could be remedied if we got the same for a lower price, though, let's see:

The Mten5 has a screen, a wider tire (possibly a nicer ride feeling for some), probably a better headlight and more visible rear light than the MCM5/Tesla.

The MCM5 is around 9lbs(4kg) lighter, slower 25 vs 31mph (40 vs 50kmh), Tesla probably just a tiny bit slower, but a little bigger battery.

Interesting how they advertise  71kmh free spin speed, but the motor is presumably 1200W, vs 1900-2000W in the tesla? I wonder whether if the peak power is similar between the two, but in a longer, continuous high power usage the Mten will start being thermally limited, or there's something else at play here (efficiency? but that would be quite a large difference).

1 minute ago, Asphalt said:

Assuming the marketing lives up to the hype, here are features that could be considered "upgrades" over the MCM5v2 (which is only 3lbs lighter):

1. Higher free-spin speed.
  2. Improved ingress protection.
  3. Modern firmware that supports features like PWM alarms.
  4. Faster charging. Up to 8A charging.
  5. More visible lights.
  6. Wider tire.
  7. Tubeless tire.
  8. Stronger axle.
  9. Bluetooth speaker.
  10. Display
  11. Shell that you don't have to worry about breaking every time you open it up.
  12. Easier to get parts.

There are still a few features that I prefer on the MCM5 v2:

1. Ability to trolley without power.
  2. Centered handle
  3. Lighter
  4. Proven reliability

Oh thanks, that's the list I wanted to do, but yours is more detailed though :D

Now, as for the cost: the MCM5 was around 800-1000$, the Tesla, 1300-1500$? Not sure here. I guess 1300$ for the Mten5 and it could be considered as progress, 1400$ or more though? Not as much, but considering inflation still passable from my perspective.

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

@Funky

Did Begode build Funky's dream wheel?

-> 19 kg.

-> Top, centrally located carry handle.

-> Trolley handle with lift-switch, folding and telescoping.

-> Free-spin speed = 71 km/h.

-> 84 V

-> Samsung 50S cells

-> 1200 W motor

-> 750 Wh battery

-> IP67 (It can be submerged. Verified in demo, but not by an owner)

-> 8" rim, 12" tire.

-> Begode honeycomb spike pedals.

Nah, 12" tire so it's a toy.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

What’s with the “tile type” design they are boasting lately? I’m a bit leery of the new tire but I know many didn’t like the vibration, but the grip was great and the sound acted as a natural alert to those ahead, I’m curious how it’ll ride as the profile is completely different…

Not sure it needed any more power really, despite really steep hills mten4 always performed above my expectations except down near 25-35% on the 50e battery, so the 50s cells makes sense.

Very curious how the frame and axle will hold up!! I’d still buy this over an mten4, for anyone that is interested: this rounds out and fixes its worst issues really. I paid 1200$ originally so pricing seems fine to me, tad high but so was the mten4 originally I thought.

If the tire is fatter than let's say a 14x3in (modified) MCM5 then this will be a step up in comfort.

Don't forget that a fat tire acts like a short suspension for slower wheels.

Begode probably know that a fat tire is much more lightweight than a suspension system, so I predict that we'll have fat tire smaller wheels and we'll stay around 3in tire widths on the larger suspension wheels.

Edited by alcatraz

19 minutes ago, zaft said:

What’s with the “tile type” design they are boasting lately?

On 1/2/2024 at 10:28 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

Regarding "tile magnets":

I think it's a minor difference for our relatively large-diameter motors, but small improvements are welcome.

https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/what-are-the-differences-between-these-2-type-motors.24705/
Top: "tile" (curved) ND magnets. 
Bottom: "straight" (flat) ND magnets.
33-jpg.24392

It's the same thing as A2? They just have added trolley handle, but same time decreased it's wheel size. Also same weight. Same crappy lift handle as A2 - where all wheel weight is held by screws in top plastic cover of motherboard, it will crack over time and won't be Ip67 really fast. (Same reason i din't like A2.)
I honetly don't see point of it. (That's coming from guy who wants only small wheels.. Says volumes.)
They released amazing wheel like Falcon and now this.. Worse A2. Only inovation is Ip67 rating. Even older models where lighter and more powerful. Also that build looks Janky as F.. Like WTF?

22 hours ago, techyiam said:

@Funky

Did Begode build Funky's dream wheel?

-> 19 kg.

-> Top, centrally located carry handle.

-> Trolley handle with lift-switch, folding and telescoping.

-> Free-spin speed = 71 km/h.

-> 84 V

-> Samsung 50S cells

-> 1200 W motor

-> 750 Wh battery

-> IP67 (It can be submerged. Verified in demo, but not by an owner)

-> 8" rim, 12" tire.

-> Begode honeycomb spike pedals.

Nope. It doesn't have big wheel.. (I tought people knew what i want??? Seems like i will need up and anti my small wheel propaganda posts!) :D

22 hours ago, Tomallo said:

It has speakers though, which unfortunately disqualifies it :/ it was so close

Haha - nice one, sadly speakers never where my problem.. :P 

17 hours ago, BlueCrow said:

Nah, 12" tire so it's a toy.

Yup.

With all the drawbacks - Falcon still is my #1 contender. Waiting till next year, when Inmotion V18 gets released, to see what it offers.

I'll take my exit till someone @me. Calling me back - to keep posting and derailing the post as always. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Slightly worrying to see the headlight filled with water. Doesn't give me much confidence for the rest (especially as it was quickly addressed by saying it was only on the outside...clearly its sloshing around on the inside).

Screenshot_2024-06-27_at_13.38.55.jpg?v=

https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/o/v/b1442da36b0a4bffa6f75365a972e1fb.mov

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The mTen5 is basically a lighter, faster version of the A2, with a built-in trolley.

Begode A2 vs mTen5

Free Spin Speed:

• A2: 53km/h
  • mTen5: 71km/h

Current Limit:

• A2: 180A
  • mTen5: 200A

Wheel Size:

• A2: 15 inches
  • mTen5: 12 inches

Dimensions (pedals folded):

• A2: L419xW214xH600mm
  • mTen5: 403x192x488mm

Pedal Size:

• A2: 123x246mm
  • mTen5: 133x288mm

Pedal Height (Lowest):

• A2: 153mm
  • mTen5: 116mm

Tire Size:

• A2: Tubeless 3.0-10
  • mTen5: Tubeless-110/55-8

Net Weight:

• A2: 19kg
  • mTen5: 18.65kg

BT Speaker:

• A2: No
  • mTen5: Yes

Headlights:

• A2: 5000 lumen
  • mTen5: 2000 lumen

Voltage:

• Both: 84V

Motor Power:

• A2: 1000W
  • mTen5: 1200W

Endurance:

• A2: 50KM (65kg rider)
  • mTen5: 50-60KM (70kg rider)

Battery Capacity:

• Both: 750Wh

Tile Type Motor:

• A2: No
  • mTen5: Yes

Source:

image.thumb.png.924f89470e0214c3e3260c6b415e7207.pngimage.png.8b15e648cb5b17b1dc8be0961148ee96.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Could anyone tell what 110/55-8 tire diameter is? (Would be good to know real world tire size.) :D 

A2 diameter should be ~40Cm? If i'm not mistaken. What mTen5 would be then?

12.5" or 32.5cm

This isn't real world though as this is just the tyre. If the rim is narrow then the diameter will be greater and less if the rim is wide.

• Like 1

If there are any reviewers checking this thread, 
I would love to see the following tests done on the mTen5:

1. Heat management tests
    Temperature under long continuous up hill riding.
    Temperature under sustained riding near 50kph.
    Temperature while pendulum-ing for ~10 minutes.
    Riding in hot conditions.
  2. Stability tests
    Emergency breaking from 50kph.
    Emergency breaking while riding downhill.
  3. Stair carrying test
    Walk up a few flights of stairs while carrying it with one arm.
  4. Storage test
    Does it fit in a locker?
    Does it fit in a frunk?
    Does it fit in a backpack?
  5. Curb test
    Do the pedals scrape when riding up/down a standard curb?

On 6/27/2024 at 11:42 PM, Asphalt said:

If there are any reviewers checking this thread, 
I would love to see the following tests done on the mTen5:

1. Heat management tests
    Temperature under long continuous up hill riding.
    Temperature under sustained riding near 50kph.
    Temperature while pendulum-ing for ~10 minutes.
    Riding in hot conditions.

Heat tests have been pretty irrelevant since motherboards moved to above the motor with a heatsink in the wheel well. Only temps that really matter now are motor temps and this motor isn't that powerful.

3 hours ago, PourUC said:

Heat tests have been pretty irrelevant since motherboards moved to above the motor with a heatsink in the wheel well. Only temps that really matter now are motor temps and this motor isn't that powerful.

The mTen5 has the controller sitting directly on top of the 20s2p Samsung 50s battery pack, all encased in a silicone sock and there are no heatsinks.

High discharge cells are capable of high current, but also generate a lot of heat. There's nowhere for the heat to go in the mTen5.
Begode's new waterproofing solution of a silicone sock further insulates heats (think silicone oven mitts).

With the new 72kph free-spin capability, this controller will generate a lot of heat, particularly during hard braking with >80% battery.

Even if heat does not immediately affect the ride, the lifespan of the electronics will be reduced. The mTen4 and A2 controllers, which have a very similar layout, have had reliability issues - I suspect due to poor thermal management.

I'd be happy if my suspicions were proven wrong, because combination of light weight and performance look very attractive on paper.

• Upvote 3