Any Inherent danger of Power Pads?

11 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Here's an argument for not locking into pads at 5:32

Again with the high (low) cut off angle setting examples.

Feels like you guys are just looking for evidence to support your opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Feels like you guys are just looking for evidence to support your opinion.

I suppose we could try to help answer OPs question without providing evidence...

I think the bottom line is.. there is inherent danger with riding these things no matter how you ride or what you strap to your wheel. 

I think instead of trying to figure out one way or the other...  Which you can see leads to all sorts of confusing opinions... Ride how you are comfortable riding, and how you feel you can be the safest to yourself and others. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone can think for themselves.. Same with gear - some like to ride in M/C suit, armored down to teeth. (I mean literally all the gear one can wear.) Next guy is riding in T-shirt and jeans, not even using helmet.

And somehow the armored guy gets way more into accidents. Where the T-shirt/jeans guy rarely, if ever gets a tumble.. T-shirt/jeans guy is riding defensively and are thinking about all the dangers that could happened mid ride and not doing risky things. Where armored guy is relying on safety gear to save his ass, as he is riding more aggressively and not thinking ahead of time.. Also liking to do risky things.

(I'm the T-shirt/jeans guy. And no pad user. Simple commuting to/from work daily on smooth sidewalk.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

I suppose we could try to help answer OPs question without providing evidence...

But the only thing you provided evidence of was what happens when you have high cut-off angle set on the wheel, from that you are implying that pads are dangerous.

34 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

But the only thing you provided evidence of was what happens when you have high cut-off angle set on the wheel, from that you are implying that pads are dangerous.

From witch point you look - both are right. :D 

High cut-off - not ideal.

Also pads - not ideal.

If he didn't have pads - that high cut-off wouldn't been a problem, as his feet would not get stuck in pads. Same time if wheel didn't have that high cut-off angle, it would have not been an issue with pads. :) 

Doh.. Pads did get in the way.. So..? Pads = dangerous. :D High cut-off angle = also dangerous.. :D 

Nah EUC = bad and dangerous altogether. That's better.. If he didn't ride in first place - he would not have steel in his leg.

Edited by Funky

53 minutes ago, Funky said:

From witch point you look - both are right. :D 

High cut-off - not ideal.

Also pads - not ideal.

If he didn't have pads - that high cut-off wouldn't been a problem, as his feet would not get stuck in pads. Same time if wheel didn't have that high cut-off angle, it would have not been an issue with pads. :) 

Doh.. Pads did get in the way.. So..? Pads = dangerous. :D High cut-off angle = also dangerous.. :D 

Nah EUC = bad and dangerous altogether. That's better.. If he didn't ride in first place - he would not have steel in his leg.

That's some silly circle reasoning.

Pads are attached with Velcro and will come off with enough force.

From my own experience, riding with my local community and from the many many videos online it's also pretty evident that in most falls the rider will react pretty fast and step off the pedals.

If pads was so dangerous you would see a lot more injuries, look how popular off-roading has become and many people have various degree of falls or crashes using pads without any leg injuries, but here you are trying hard chasing corner cases to support your opinion.

In contrast setting a high cut off introduces an unpredictable behaviour, with low enough angle the motor will spin up, the whole wheel can bounce right into you, you could be hit by a sharp pedal or even the tire while the motor is spinning at high speed, take your pick, it's unpredictable and proven again and again to be dangerous.

There is risk riding an EUC, just as most things in life has various degree of risk and you have to do a risk assessment yourself but if you think you are somehow safer by not using pads that's just self-deception, a lot of riders would argue the other way around, with pads they have more control over their wheel and are inherently safer.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

That's some silly circle reasoning.

We live in silly world.. So makes sense that one needs to think silly ways.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

From my own experience, riding with my local community and from the many many videos online it's also pretty evident that in most falls the rider will react pretty fast and step off the pedals.

Yet pads are in the way. :) Especially if they have pads right onto feet, compressed so tightly that one can't remove their feet in time. (They need to "nudge" their feet into/out pads..)

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

If pads was so dangerous you would see a lot more injuries, look how popular off-roading has become and many people have various degree of falls or crashes using pads without any leg injuries, but here you are trying hard chasing corner cases to support your opinion.

Yup it is. Off-roading by nature is also dangerous, if you didn't know that. As any rock, tree root, or in general anything you ride over could make you fall and die.

Same way one could die while eating breakfast cereal and choking on their spoon. Or maybe that milk you just drank with your cereal had rat poison in it. You can't even leave your house without danger of being a victim of drunk driver, or robbery gone bad. Even simple slip can end you. We live in very dangerous world..

FYI - if you missed i was joking around previous post. And somewhat now.. :D

I could care less what other people use, etc.. Same with gear. Some people like to gear up to their teeth. Some like to ride gearless.

I'm in middle - daily no gear - fun rides i'll use helmet and some guards. Somehow i'm still fine and dandy without gear and pads. :D In my case pads would only get in the way, as they make wheel so much wider and ugly.. I don't care if they make my ride safer.. I'm fine without them. Doh i did almost buy grizzlas once.. But i thought about it, i could not move my feet around middle of ride and that locked in feeling.. Nah it wasn't for me. I don't want to put my feet on pedals sideways. :D I like to simply step on wheel in forwards motion. Like walking and stepping on a step..

Pads are good in off-roading conditions, or if one needs to be very locked in pedals going 55mph++. Simple cruising at lower speeds - not needed. 

And if conditions are just right - pads can get in way.. And hurt you. Same way as not having them.. Double edged sword.

Peace. :) 

Edited by Funky

39 minutes ago, Funky said:

We live in silly world.. So makes sense that one needs to think silly ways.

Yet pads are in the way. :) Especially if they have pads right onto feet, compressed so tightly that one can't remove their feet in time. (They need to "nudge" their feet into/out pads..)

Yup it is. Off-roading by nature is also dangerous, if you didn't know that. As any rock, tree root, or in general anything you ride over could make you fall and die.

Same way one could die while eating breakfast cereal and choking on their spoon. Or maybe that milk you just drank with your cereal had rat poison in it. You can't even leave your house without danger of being a victim of drunk driver, or robbery gone bad. Even simple slip can end you. We live in very dangerous world..

FYI - if you missed i was joking around previous post. And somewhat now.. :D

I could care less what other people use, etc.. Same with gear. Some people like to gear up to their teeth. Some like to ride gearless.

I'm in middle - daily no gear - fun rides i'll use helmet and some guards. Somehow i'm still fine and dandy without gear and pads. :D In my case pads would only get in the way, as they make wheel so much wider and ugly.. I don't care if they make my ride safer.. I'm fine without them. Doh i did almost buy grizzlas once.. But i thought about it, i could not move my feet around middle of ride and that locked in feeling.. Nah it wasn't for me. I don't want to put my feet on pedals sideways. :D I like to simply step on wheel in forwards motion. Like walking and stepping on a step..

Pads are good in off-roading conditions, or if one needs to be very locked in pedals going 55mph++. Simple cruising at lower speeds - not needed. 

And if conditions are just right - pads can get in way.. And hurt you. Same way as not having them.. Double edged sword.

Peace. :) 

If you can't have a serious conversation why are you even engaging in the discussion?

28 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

If you can't have a serious conversation why are you even engaging in the discussion?

Because this topic is pointless?

1 hour ago, Funky said:

7 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Pads are attached with Velcro and will come off with enough force.

This is the bottom line. I have had a few unexpected wheel departures off road with twisting motion etc. and i have pulled a few pads off in the process.  My opinion is that unless you bolt on your pads and suffer from osteoporosis then you should be ok in the event of a crash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cam said:

How simple life much be with such utter lack of doubt.

In my experience velcroed pads come off during unexpected departures. I don't know how you correlate that to "life" . What a strange response.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Funky said:

Everyone can think for themselves.. Same with gear - some like to ride in M/C suit, armored down to teeth. (I mean literally all the gear one can wear.) Next guy is riding in T-shirt and jeans, not even using helmet.

And somehow the armored guy gets way more into accidents. Where the T-shirt/jeans guy rarely, if ever gets a tumble.. T-shirt/jeans guy is riding defensively and are thinking about all the dangers that could happened mid ride and not doing risky things. Where armored guy is relying on safety gear to save his ass, as he is riding more aggressively and not thinking ahead of time.. Also liking to do risky things.

(I'm the T-shirt/jeans guy. And no pad user. Simple commuting to/from work daily on smooth sidewalk.)

Fortnine had an interesting video on this very subject. Conclusion.. Ryan stopped wearing his pads etc as the medical evidence showed it made no difference. Personally the older I get the larger the margin I leave. Younger me would be bored stiff at how I ride now but current me is happy to be a cruiser.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 3:30 PM, winterwheel said:

I see their value for lighter riders in a time of heavy wheels, but I also think power pads are responsible for many lower-body injuries. So I never use them. The few times I have ridden with power pads I was super happy to escape back to my simple flat pads set up. 

I'm the same I rarely use pads. i do like them for the mten4 (that wheel is small you won't injury yourself). If they come stock sure i'll use them. But yes getting your foot trapped is bad if you had to bail. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 4:59 PM, Asphalt said:

Here's a pretty compelling argument for locking yourself in with pads:
image.gif.bc46d17d2aa3e6c5c7f7a16a60577f27.gif

To be honest, I don't even think my pad setup would keep me locked in for that 😂

• 2 months later...

I've only been riding EUC for a week. At the start of the week when practicing freemounts, the top pad would get in the way with getting my second foot on the pedal, so I rode with just the pads on the right side of my KS S16 Pro. However yesterday I had another session and had a more consistent free-mount whereby I would take 2 steps and then have the balance right to step on with the other foot even with the pad there. I found that for the insides of my knees, it was nice to have the pads on the uni, as that feels more cushy. The foot pad helps me most on the right with my dominant leg to right away place that foot correctly on the pedal. 

On 6/12/2024 at 6:06 AM, Funky said:

:efefae4566:

I'd only add that some gear, particularly wearing many types of helmets, actually make accidents more likely as they inhibit vision and hearing. 

after spending several weeks on my lynx, my thoughts on pads are the following:

- if you are planning on riding seated on your euc,  you may need to either not use a front pad OR trim the front pad to a thinner profile to allow your legs to comfortably grip the sides of the euc while being in a bent position.  i trimmed my wide front north pads to about 1 1/2 inchs and that still allows me to lean forward and use the front pad but it also allows me to grip the front of the euc while seated.

- IMO, the brake pads are a necessary item because it gives the rider a tremendous mechanical advantage when leaning back to brake.

finally, how much locked in you want to set up your pads is a very personal thing - every one is different and some people like the locked in feeling, while others want to have less locked in and more open set up so that they can release themselves from their ride when necessary.  i personally like the later but i find the more i ride my lynx,  the more i move my pads in abit closer - but so close as to be 'locked' in though...

to that end,  i think that pad setup on an euc will be an ongoing process that never ends because euc riders are always learning new things about how they ride their euc,  and hence their pad set up will also be changing to meet these new revelations...

i used to ride without pads but after being bumped off my pedals a few times,  and test riding the larger eucs,  i decided for my next rides, i must use pads to give myself more leverage in euc control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpong said:

if you are planning on riding seated on your euc,  you may need to either not use a front pad OR trim the front pad to a thinner profile to allow your legs to comfortably grip the sides of the euc while being in a bent position.  i trimmed my wide front north pads to about 1 1/2 inchs and that still allows me to lean forward and use the front pad but it also allows me to grip the front of the euc while seated.

I ride quite a lot seated and I just have my legs outside the upper front pads, works great for me, I also have them pretty leaned forward as I only use them for steep climbs.

I find the area around your foot more important for comfort when riding seated,can quickly get uncomfortable feet if it doesn't feel good, I made many prototypes of my Lynx footlocks just to get them right and work for every scenario from offroad to jumping to riding seated.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/12/2024 at 8:06 AM, Funky said:

what's being described is a "false sense of security." It's pervasive for many things, like bike lanes that are just painted onto the sides of the street. Those give cyclists a false sense of security that cars won't hit them, so they don't look out and thus are more likely to be hit.

Case in point, when I was riding in such a bike lane, a car waiting at a red light had the rear passenger door open wide within 20ft in front of me. I was going slow, as 12mph, but couldn't stop without quick thinking to use the door's swing to help me stop. My leather pants were split open against my knee braces. I prefer that to any bruising I would've otherwise had for something that can't always be predicted.

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

:efefae4566:

I'd only add that some gear, particularly wearing many types of helmets, actually make accidents more likely as they inhibit vision and hearing. 

At speed, humans have more tunnel-vision than peripheral, so that's why we are taught to constantly look around. That counters poorer visibility. Furthermore, visors and movable shades on helmets improve visibility in sunny conditions, and with intense wind and flying road debris, so there's that...

Wind noise, alone, makes things harder to hear at speed, and if anything the right gear can dampen specific kinds of noises that make it harder to hear the rest of the world (or protects you from losing your hearing altogether). There are special earplugs for motorcyclists for that reason.

Basically, a lot of the compromises of protective gear are either to capitalize on benefits, or to prevent loss of ability for other parts of your life. And many of the drawbacks can be counteracted simply by being aware of them and being responsible.

Sitting with extra fat power pads just isn't a problem. You will just be a bit wider when you stick your knees out to the side.

The ones I use are replicas of the first generation nylonove pads. I see now the 3d model has been updated since I printed them but they were 20% increased of the pads you could buy and I stretched them even more along the Z-axis when I printed them making them wider out from the euc. Its no problem sitting down or standing up with them.

If people think  its a problem its because they haven't tried it or they are so super locked into the wheel they have zero mobility without stepping off, its definitely not how I would recommend you ride unless you are racing or something and also using proper MX boots.

For normal use power pads are a blessing and a must have tool to unlock the capabilities of your wheel, just make sure you can step off if you need to.

Edited by Poker

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I ride quite a lot seated and I just have my legs outside the upper front pads, works great for me, I also have them pretty leaned forward as I only use them for steep climbs.

I find the area around your foot more important for comfort when riding seated,can quickly get uncomfortable feet if it doesn't feel good, I made many prototypes of my Lynx footlocks just to get them right and work for every scenario from offroad to jumping to riding seated.

I got my first EUC, the KS S16 Pro last weekish. Though I've seen peeps sit on it, I feel like I am all folded to be able to sit. I am just over 6'2" (1.86m) and sitting on it just isn't comfy. I am used to analogue unicycles where you can set the seat at the height that feels good, but that is impossible on an EUC, so I just stand.