Jump to content

EUC fashion...


Recommended Posts

Points for creativity but what exactly is that supposed to protect? He has every other protective gear needed, kneepads, wristguards and even a thicker jacket for abrasions. But the helmet? Nah, skip that one, not needed. The MMA mask obviously is enough at those speeds. Surely.

I know that he would probably have to sacrifice the hair in order to fit a helmet over it. It looks like that thing is pretty much the same as dreadlocks, which basically means that its one thick block which doesn't really move into any direction.

But I guess the question is that is your hair worth it to split your wig into the street? Guess you can look good in the casket? If you crash in a manner which doesnt splatter your head like a watermelon that is...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Anthraksi said:

But the helmet? Nah, skip that one, not needed.

How often do you actually land on the tip of your head? Almost never, especially on the asphalt.
I think he is protected just fine.

As for the hairstyle itself - 10/10, never change it. :wub:

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I think that MMA head mask is actually gonna be quite good at protecting his head from impact damage if he can only stop it sticking to the ground and ripping right off.

Likewise that front mask could work to protect his face if he could only keep it in place. I know we can't say never but I think a direct bonk to the top of the head in an EUC accident is quite unlikely, and hair of that magnitude and robustness will do something to protect his skull briefly unless it gets prolonged contact with the road.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think that mma mask has back of head protection, and I bet it would immediately get dragged right off in any meat-crayon situation since there is nothing holding it on except the goggle band. If he likes the way it looks, sure, but I seriously doubt it has any protective benefits worth wearing that while riding beyond an initial impact. I just don't see how that will still in place beyond the split second of impact, which is better than nothing but can also give him a false sense of protection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2024 at 6:18 AM, atdlzpae said:

How often do you actually land on the tip of your head? Almost never, especially on the asphalt.
I think he is protected just fine.

As for the hairstyle itself - 10/10, never change it. :wub:

I uh... Don't really know what to say. What does that mask look like it is made out of? Do you think helmets are made as big as they are just for the hell of it?

No, that mask won't really do much no matter which way you fall. Hit your head and it barely softens the impact. Feel free to go out and give it a go if you feel doubtful. Needless to say it doesn't really offer any abrasion protection either. Go for a slight slide and your face is a meat crayon very quickly

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Anthraksi said:

No, that mask won't really do much no matter which way you fall. Hit your head and it barely softens the impact. Feel free to go out and give it a go if you feel doubtful. Needless to say it doesn't really offer any abrasion protection either. Go for a slight slide and your face is a meat crayon very quickly

Yes, you're right, it really needs a rigid shield.

Also, I'd be worried it catches on something and "snaps" a neck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Anthraksi said:

No, that mask won't really do much no matter which way you fall.

On the plus side it'll probably catch some teeth on their way out !

If I were him, and my priority was the hair, I'd still rather have that face mask than just the surrounding kick shield - if nothing else it will keep the bugs and rain out out of his face while riding, and nice to have something between your eyes and the road in the event of a crash...

Edited by Cerbera
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course, we can't have this conversation without at least mentioning this man. It is unclear if he rides a wheel but I sort of hope he does..

image.png.cb4772642c75e5b8220edda05ae6e0c3.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I hate to revisit this topic under such horrible circumstances, but our impressively-be-locked friend above, Manny has just found out if that hair can protect his head in a fall. It very much can't alas... (if you don't like gore don't watch - he's down to the bone on his forehead). Particularly bad given that in the rides beforehand he was at least wearing that martial arts improvised kickboxing face guard, which would have put an inch and half of padding between his forehead and the road had he been wearing it that day, which he wasn't :( Clip courtesy of Roger H.

 

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I hate to revisit this topic under such horrible circumstances, but our impressively-be-locked friend above, Manny has just found out if that hair can protect his head in a fall. It very much can't alas... (if you don't like gore don't watch - he's down to the bone on his forehead). Particularly bad given that in the rides beforehand he was at least wearing that martial arts improvised kickboxing face guard, which would have put an inch and half of padding between his forehead and the road had he been wearing it that day, which he wasn't :( Clip courtesy of Roger H.

 

Yeeee that's a gnarly cut.  That's why I wear the full-face even just going down to the mailbox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2024 at 10:34 PM, Funky said:

Yet somehow i'm still not gonna wear a helmet on my daily commutes.. It simply was again rider error  - didn't see the bump = crash.

There is 'some difference' I would guess between the style and speed of rides between you 2 - he is on a much faster, higher machine, and his average speed is way high, so I think there is more justification for him wearing one. I didn't feel the need for one either all the time I was on an MS3, and like you, luck was on my side for the entire time I rode that wheel, and I didn't hit my head once in the few crashes I had. I did remain aware though, that it was ONLY luck that was saving me, and that eventually it would run out, hence why I started wearing a helmet every single time I got on that Master.

I am interested to see what Manny's future hair and helmet choices might be once he has recovered and is back to riding...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very lucky in a way not to lose all his front teeth. Woulda been a pricey event being in the USA..

Could have been so much worse...fractured skull, brain haemorrhage, anything really. If I was him I'd be doing the lottery.

It's seeing stuff like this which keeps me in a full face (albeit MTB) even on the hottest days the UK can bring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2024 at 2:10 PM, Cerbera said:

Of course, we can't have this conversation without at least mentioning this man. It is unclear if he rides a wheel but I sort of hope he does..

image.png.cb4772642c75e5b8220edda05ae6e0c3.png

Should grow a beard and make that a full face hairmut………

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tragic, that makes me sad. I will always wear my helmet for sure now. I hope he makes a complete recovery. I notice that a lot of these severe accidents seem to happen on group rides when the excitement and group mentality takes over. Our safety really comes down to the choices we make when we are riding and the routes we choose. We have a lot of control over our safety. Still makes me sad though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

But there is no accounting for human error, which can strike at any time !

Even discounting human error and assuming a perfect rider theres other things that can happen. MoBo failure, deer running out on you, tyre blowout, someone running some lights, the list is endless no matter how perfect a rider thinks they are or indeed they actually are.

But some will still avoid helmets because they are perfect lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

Even discounting human error and assuming a perfect rider theres other things that can happen. MoBo failure, deer running out on you, tyre blowout, someone running some lights, the list is endless no matter how perfect a rider thinks they are or indeed they actually are.

But some will still avoid helmets because they are perfect lol.

Technical errors aren't even on the top of the list of reasons to crash that are unrelated to you and your skills.

It's always going to be other people on the road. Cyclist especially ride like they just got out of a mental hospital. Crossing roads at 40kmh speeds without looking, riding on the wrong side of the bike path and such. Enough speed, wrong side of the road and a corner thats just obstructed enough is a recipe that almost every time results in a crash and there aint shit you can do about it if it happens fast enough.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...