6'3" 300lbs looking for somethjng to ride less than 6 miles twice a week

As the title says I'm a larger man, mostly muscle and very athletic looking for a EUC that wont break if I use it to commute from my house to my job twice a week. I live in the city so roads are pretty smooth and I can avoid potholes and the like very easily. Me and the wife are currently sharing a car and I'm trying to use the EUC as a transportation stand in for myself to get around our city some. Price is king in this situation and I'm currently looking at the inmotion v10f or the mten4. I know the weight limits are lower on the mten4 but the beefier tire seems more stable from what ive heard.

Let me know your thoughts, like I said price is king so i need to keep it under 1k if possible 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bpong said:

does it have to be an euc ? i ask cause you can probably find escooters with greater load carrying capacity... but if you must ride an euc,  i think those are your only real choices in that price range

Yeah I'm pretty set on an EUC, for what I'd spend on a scooter or bike I'd be better off sourcing a used moped or motorcycle which IMO defeats the spirit of what im trying to do (trying to solve my transportation problem in an eco friendly way). Its also not like I have a set deadline, we can continue to make our situation work until i can afford a sherman max if need be. I'm also sure that as EUCs gain more popularity here in the US we'll see more wallet friendly options.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

A used EUC might be the best option. If you can get a V10F under your price limit, that's good, too. I wouldn't go for an mten, while it would certainly work, the small tire isn't ideal for commuting.

Could you elaborate on the issue with the mten4's tire? My commute to work is about 12-15 minutes each way on a bike, 4 min in a car. What should I be looking for in a EUC for lightweight commuting? Again thank you sooo much for the input!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

As the title says I'm a larger man, mostly muscle and very athletic looking for a EUC that wont break if I use it to commute from my house to my job twice a week. I live in the city so roads are pretty smooth and I can avoid potholes and the like very easily. Me and the wife are currently sharing a car and I'm trying to use the EUC as a transportation stand in for myself to get around our city some. Price is king in this situation and I'm currently looking at the inmotion v10f or the mten4. I know the weight limits are lower on the mten4 but the beefier tire seems more stable from what ive heard.

Let me know your thoughts, like I said price is king so i need to keep it under 1k if possible 

The Mten4 has a really, really weak axle. You're 300 pounds bro. Plus it's way too squirrely for a commuter wheel even if you were 100 lbs lighter.

Even the V10F is really pushing it, weight wise. Plus at 300 lbs you're gonna get hurt more when/if you fall. And the V10F is only a 16 inch wheel, so not ideal for your weight and experience. And the battery is relatively small so you'll probably get less than 20 mile range at your weight.

I'd just search on ebay every day or every other day for new wheels, and also look at AliExpress. 

This store here has some great deals, you just might have to spend $300 more than you wanted to:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101673804?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.52d27ZQm7ZQmDC

See the Gotway RS for 1289, the V11 for $1209 is an outstanding deal and probably your best bet, and safer and more comfortable with the suspension on it.

I'd jump on that deal honestly:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802129982630.html?gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.137358.0&scm_id=1007.23125.137358.0&scm-url=1007.23125.137358.0&pvid=e126f50d-d95e-452f-acf5-d4006177272f&_t=gps-id%3ApcStoreJustForYou%2Cscm-url%3A1007.23125.137358.0%2Cpvid%3Ae126f50d-d95e-452f-acf5-d4006177272f%2Ctpp_buckets%3A668%232846%238107%231934&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!2199.00!1209.45!!!2199.00!1209.45!%402103248517128054812475605ed02a!12000024653430204!rec!US!2244704447!&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_6000656164839.1005002316297382&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

1 hour ago, bpong said:

its too bad you're not planning a trip to toronto, ontario, canada.  i have a 2018 glide3 with only 3 seasons of riding on it.  my tesla V2 im keeping as a spare once my lynx is delivered in mid may.  if on the odd chance you are visiting any family across the border, you may have here, let me know...

You missed the part where he weighs 300 lbs bro. A Glide 3 wouldn't last 2 weeks and would probably get him hurt.

17 minutes ago, Esash said:

You missed the part where he weighs 300 lbs bro. A Glide 3 wouldn't last 2 weeks and would probably get him hurt.

Yeah, yur right... my bad...300 is quite the weight for a beginner wheel...i stand corrected... i will hide my replies which dont really serve any purpose in this topic...

Edited by bpong

100% agree with @Esash  The wheels you mentioned won’t be a great fit for you and your needs. An RS, V11, possibly a ks 18. If you can find a good used one for around or a bit higher than your budget you’ll be happier long term and way less likely to to break or over lean your wheel. 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

Could you elaborate on the issue with the mten4's tire? My commute to work is about 12-15 minutes each way on a bike, 4 min in a car. What should I be looking for in a EUC for lightweight commuting? Again thank you sooo much for the input!

The small tire diameter limits the speed you can go in relaxed comfort too much. Stability is determined by the tire diameter, not tire width.

While you can certainly go long distance on an mten, I wouldn't want to do it when it's not for fun but to get somewhere (maybe in time), especially a repeated commute. Better get a wheel where you can go a little faster and not have to constantly mind every tiny pothole and obstruction like you would on an mten - which just means a bigger tire diameter.

People are right, a V10F is probably the lower end of what would work for you, simply because your weight demands some power. A more powerful wheel (probably used, to lower the price) is my recommendation. If you can get a V11 for a good price, then you even have suspension.

(Note on the Begode RS: don't get one unless the seller definitely proves (battery pack photo) it does not use LG M50T battery cells. These cells were shortly used back then and are prone to sudden fires, so this is something to keep in mind with the RS. Any other cell type, like LG M50LT, is fine. Minus the battery concern, an RS would be a great and powerful wheel for you - just without suspension, but it should hit your price point.)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

Hey, stud, welcome to the community!

I know Ohio well and am wondering where you will be riding. If you are looking to commute with an EUC, be sure there are uncongested sidewalks, or paved or smooth-dirt trails along the way. You do not want to ride on the road with cars until you have more/much experience.

I'm going to disagree slightly with the mostly excellent advice above: just buy a durable, used, lower-end wheel with a strong axle. Yes, you could wear it out faster (bearings), but you shouldn't try jumping curbs at first, so a bent axle is not so likely. Just avoid the monster potholes. Then, if an EUC is going to work for you (very likely), you'll know better what your needs are and will have had time to shop around online.

As for wheel recommendations, used S22s are getting pretty cheap, so maybe snag one of those if you have time and space to maintain it. They're going for $1200 and up. If you're lucky, try to snag an S22 Pro at a great price.

Good luck!

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

If I were in your situation, knowing what I know now, I would save up and get the Veteran because of your safety, product enjoyment, and resale value. As long as you don't have a bad accident, you could probably sell your Veteran for $1,000 less than you paid for it if you want to let it go. But my main concern for you as a heavy rider like myself is for your safety because weight affects the performance of EUC's significantly. Whatever you get, I hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

It's really important to pay attention to any wheel's max rider weight. Nobody here weighs 300 lbs so we're probably going to lead you in the wrong and dangerous direction by accident, and because it's not our azz who will be getting hurt.

As a 300 lb guy there's a much bigger barrier to entry than for a normal sized human. You're not gonna be able to nickle and dime your way into the sport with any real success for less than $1000 like you hoped.

Speaking of bad advice, I'll call myself out. Last night I recommended you the V11 for 1300 bucks on Ali Express. But I did not even check the max rider weight rating for that wheel, probably because it's not my 300 lb azz who would be getting hurt or frying out the motherboard in the first week.

The MTen4 you mentioned yesterday has a max rider load limit of 220 lbs, just to point out how far off and unrealistic you were about this stuff. I totally understand that financial pressures and limitations would lead you to this sort of wishful thinking.

Even if you find a wheel with a max rider weight of 260 lbs for a price you can afford, you'd be well served to start a new thread or ask in this thread about how smart it would be for you at 300 lbs plus gear to buy that wheel.

Remember, nobody here weighs 300 lbs and it's really easy to recommend dangerous behavior when it's not us who would be getting hurt and stuck with a broken wheel and 1000+ dollars wasted.

On that Ali Express store I linked you to last night, there's a Monster Pro new for 1700 bucks, 1800 after taxes. I'm pretty sure that wheel is rated for 300 lb riders, and being a bigger wheel it would also fit your 6'3 frame very nicely. If that means saving up for a longer period of time, that's still what you should probably do.  It's a great wheel and has a really long range/big battery, so you wouldn't need to charge it often.

If you end up eventually going for a wheel that is rated for 260 lbs, you better not have any hills on your trip to work and back, and you'd even want to be careful about big bumps in the sidewalk/road that could overpower the wheel and cut off and send you flying, get you injured, and make you miss work for a period of time.

Then you'll really be wishing you just bought a wheel that was ACTUALLY capable of carrying you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Esash said:

It's really important to pay attention to any wheel's max rider weight. Nobody here weighs 300 lbs so we're probably going to lead you in the wrong and dangerous direction by accident, and because it's not our azz who will be getting hurt.

As a 300 lb guy there's a much bigger barrier to entry than for a normal sized human. You're not gonna be able to nickle and dime your way into the sport with any real success for less than $1000 like you hoped.

The V11 is rated for 300 lbs, so that's absolutely what I would recommend, especially at $1200-$1300 on Ali Express.

That's a no-brainer, and you'd be able to use it recreationally and not just for your trip to work.

Suspension is everything for a lot of riders, and especially as a heavy heavy guy, you will appreciate it way way way more than you realize now.

Edited by Esash

I'm 280lbs and ride KS18XL. Going 40kmh on regular basis without any alarms.. End even at half full battery.

Yes i don't have any hills, but still.. If you do crazy fast accelerations it can be overpowered. (Any wheel can be..) But on regular daily commutes i never hear any alarms. 

And my next wheel gonna be something smaller. :D  Figure out how fast you wanna ride first.. (If you wanna ride 25mph get a 35mph wheel. Don't buy a wheel that can go 25mph if you wanna ride 25mph. Extra safety margins for us big guys.. ) Then get the wheel that can carry you. Or at least close to it. (Begode gonna release that small "Falcon" wheel soon. And it has ~325lbs carry limit, at least that's what i saw/heard. It will be priced around 1800$. Also if you don't have money to buy actually decent EUC. Don't start looking for ones at 1000$.. If you where half the weight then sure..)

Sure you can buy V10/Mten4 but ride at 10-15mph or around that speed.... (Mten4 is 10" wheel and you are 300lbs - you gonna hate it!) And don't accelerate fast! And for GODs sake don't JUMP ANY CURBS!!!

FYI: I would not buy an EUC from Aliexpress.. But that's me. You can do what ever you want.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

KS18XL is a great suggestion. The best indication of a fantastic wheel is a wheel that people enjoy and are comfortable riding for 5,000+ KM. I have noticed, that in general people really rack up the miles on their KS18XL's because it's an easily usable wheel, whereas, I could suggest a Ninbot Z10 for you, but its not really an easily usable wheel for most people, but for me it's my favorite.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the great suggestions, being a large man is all fun and games until you trip an elevator's weight alarm or can't ride something due to safety issues. I wish the EUC community was more inclusive to larger people like myself, besides the pruducts not typically being made with us in mind it also seems to be chock full with "eat a salad" comments. Ill look in to a used v11 or ks18xl to haul my body building azz around haha. Thanks everyone. When i pull the trigger ill document my progress and experience too!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

Thanks for all the great suggestions, being a large man is all fun and games until you trip an elevator's weight alarm or can't ride something due to safety issues. I wish the EUC community was more inclusive to larger people like myself, besides the pruducts not typically being made with us in mind it also seems to be chock full with "eat a salad" comments. Ill look in to a used v11 or ks18xl to haul my body building azz around haha. Thanks everyone. When i pull the trigger ill document my progress and experience too!

Bro you were on the verge of buying an MTen 4 with a weak little tiny axle and a max rider weight of 220 pounds.

I could have told you that's a great idea, and the MTen Mini is an even better idea because it's slightly cheaper.

Body positivity and all...

• Haha 1

Looking forward to your progress updates though. You probably won't find a used V11 for the same price as that Ali Express deal I linked you too, and that would be a new wheel. $1299 I believe.

Here's the V10F new for $819   https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806456913498.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.3f223ccanFwNbz&algo_pvid=fb1a75e0-f13b-4b5a-926c-71304541997f&algo_exp_id=fb1a75e0-f13b-4b5a-926c-71304541997f-0&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!2560.28!819.89!!!18472.45!5915.53!%402103081017129321631134971eea5f!12000037906741311!sea!US!2244704447!&curPageLogUid=LffP1aza5IjN&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

Comes to $900 with tax and would get you on an EUC right now, but the max rider weight is 265 lbs and these older InMotion wheels are not known for having great torque.

Others might have better informed opinions on whether the V10F could technically achieve your needed task of getting you to work in back. It might be just fine if ridden cautiously over bumps that would spike the power and risk cut out.

Obviously the best thing would be a V11 with suspension and stronger motor and you'd get a lot more use and pleasure and peace of mind out of it, for years to come.

Here's an old thread with the same situation:

Here's a comment that might suggest the V10F could do the job, but it's not me who would be trusting the words of a lone stranger with my health:

"

I weigh over 300 pounds with a backpack. My KS16S is able to support me, but I can overpower it if I really lean too hard.

Don't worry - KS18XL will support you even if you're over 150kg. But try not to jump off curbs. As long as you'll ride slowly (< 20km/h) you'll be fine.

It's very important for you to wear protectors. Wrist+knees+elbows+helmet. You will fall. And the more weight, the bigger the chance of serious damage. You don't need $200 helmet, even cheap one for $10 will do wonders."

-------

the KS16S has better torque than the V10F, but the V10F is a much more powerful 2000W motor.

Based on that comment above alone, I would guess that the V10F would be sufficient for your safety needs if ridden cautiously, but I'd want to accumulate more anecdotes similar to that before I would put my own safety on the line. It just might work though fren.

8 minutes ago, Esash said:

Looking forward to your progress updates though. You probably won't find a used V11 for the same price as that Ali Express deal I linked you too, and that would be a new wheel. $1299 I believe.

Here's the V10F new for $819   https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806456913498.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.3f223ccanFwNbz&algo_pvid=fb1a75e0-f13b-4b5a-926c-71304541997f&algo_exp_id=fb1a75e0-f13b-4b5a-926c-71304541997f-0&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!2560.28!819.89!!!18472.45!5915.53!%402103081017129321631134971eea5f!12000037906741311!sea!US!2244704447!&curPageLogUid=LffP1aza5IjN&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

Comes to $900 with tax and would get you on an EUC right now, but the max rider weight is 265 lbs and these older InMotion wheels are not known for having great torque.

Others might have better informed opinions on whether the V10F could technically achieve your needed task of getting you to work in back. It might be just fine if ridden cautiously over bumps that would spike the power and risk cut out.

Obviously the best thing would be a V11 with suspension and stronger motor and you'd get a lot more use and pleasure and peace of mind out of it, for years to come.

Just opened store in March.. No reviews or anything.. More likely a SCAM... If package doesn't arrive, you got the safety net of Aliexpress stepping in and maybe returning the spent money.  

I personally would not trust shops like that.. Also good luck with warranty. They can choose to simply ignore you after they have gotten the $$$.

My dad owns KS16S and i have ridden it also. No alarms or anything.. And it has 1200W motor.. Compared to my 18xl 2200W.

I simply didn't mention it, because it's 16" wheel and has 2.125" tire. It's small and very squirrely to ride. I mean it takes up any small input from my 280lbs ass. I don't need to lean at all and it starts zipping forwards!!! But on 18xl it needs more input from the rider.

I didn't like how the 16" felt/rode.. 18" are way better.. But that's my personal experience. 16" way to zippy. 18" is a cruiser.. In other words it felt like you gonna fall over on 16" at higher speeds. Where on 18" it feels planted on ground..

But i could imagine over time i would get used to 16" also. And would ride without any problems. I simply like my 18" bigger tire, less bumpy, etc..

Edited by Funky

1 minute ago, Funky said:

My dad owns KS16S and i have ridden it also. No alarms or anything.. And it has 1200W motor.. Compared to my 18xl 2200W.

I simply didn't mention it, because it's 16" wheel and has 2.125" tire. It's small and very squirrely to ride. I mean it takes up any small input from my 280lbs ass. I don't need to lean at all and it starts zipping forwards!!! But on 18xl it needs more input from the rider.

I didn't like how the 16" felt/rode.. 18" are way better.. But that's my personal experience. 16" way to zippy. 18" is a cruiser..

I agree completely. I got my "new" used KS16S for $700 + $100 shipping last week in an impulse purchase. It's definitely squirrely. V10F would probably be less squirrely for OP, because V10F has maybe a 17" or 16.5" tire, and it's wider at 2.5", but the 18" form factor would still be better for OP, like V11 or KS18XL.

• Upvote 1

I personally would like 20" wheel. Or real 18x3" tire. (ks18xl uses 18x2.5" tire - that 0.5" difference is VERY BIG in real world!)

But i hate the weight of those bigger wheels. I personally want something in 20kg weight. (I carry my wheel ALOT! And live in 3rd floor apartment.) My commute are 5km long to/from work/home. And i ride sidewalks going 25-35km/h speeds.

My next wheel will be something in 20kg weight. I don't want anything heavier. My ks18xl is 26.5kg heavy right now. (M/C tire and aftermarket CNC pedals.)

Autor is body builder, so i imagine the extra weight would not effect him.. :D Extra daily training carrying the wheel around. :D 

Edited by Funky

5 minutes ago, Esash said:

FIY: There where posts about broken axles on 16X specifically.. But built wise it should be the same as ks18xl axle.. So who knows. Just don't jump any CURBS, i don't jump my ks18xl at all. I step off and lift the thing off/on any bigger curb, where one can't ride down without any amount of falling.

600$ that would be amazing deal for 16X!!!! Same wheel as ks18xl, but in 16x3" tire size.

Edited by Funky