6'3" 300lbs looking for somethjng to ride less than 6 miles twice a week

There is a seller in Ohio…sells new wheels at a discount. On Fleabay…..but no support like dealers such as Ewheels.

Have you looked through the private sales here ?

Edited by OldFartRides

27 minutes ago, Steeleyedblue said:

Yeah for sure. I said verbatim that I am not comfortable with paying additional cash after a completed sale and that its very inappropriate to offload your "cost" or unforeseen expenses on a customer after the sale. 

Ill keep an eye on things for the next few days and re-evaluate after I get my money deposited back.

Yikes that blows. I suppose any wheel for sale without a charger is going to be higher risk of being stolen, so also higher risk of being a scam. 

Sucks bad that your money is now tied up for a few days...

I don't know anything about Facebook marketplace, I don't know if it's safe like ebay generally is. I also don't know if shipping is included in that $1200 V11 somebody posted here.

I think I MIGHT have seen the Monster 100V wheel on ebay, the one you said you saw on Facebook. The one on ebay is the Monster V3 not the Monster Pro like I thought, which means the battery is only the same size as a V11, and it's much much older electronics technology and parts are basically non-existent.

I'd stick with the V11 direction you wisely chose...

2 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

I actually just pulled the trigger and bought it, says it should be shipped to me by the 22nd! Can't wait to put some hours in and learn to ride it!!!! I feel like im gonna be the coolest guy at work when I roll up on it hahaha

Pro tip - when you have both feet on pedals - start falling on your face fast as possible. (Trust fall, but forwards) By doing that you will start riding forwards. < That gave me the most problems when i was learning - I simply wasn't leaning/falling enough to start going....

4 hours ago, TheBigBore said:

Yeah, both of my wheels, I bought used and they both have the PIlot Street or whatever. They look fine and ride great, but I don't have anything to compare them to. But not ideal for moist grass or soft ground -- in particular when pumped to 40psi or so and holding 300lbs.

I had originally CST-1488 it has that "smooth/slick" middle part and i can say that K66 knobby rides way, way better in snow/mud/dirt. But on asphalt and smooth ground - it's only louder by noise.. Because of then Knobbs.

Edited by Funky

33 minutes ago, Esash said:

Yikes that blows. I suppose any wheel for sale without a charger is going to be higher risk of being stolen, so also higher risk of being a scam. 

Sucks bad that your money is now tied up for a few days...

I don't know anything about Facebook marketplace, I don't know if it's safe like ebay generally is. I also don't know if shipping is included in that $1200 V11 somebody posted here.

I think I MIGHT have seen the Monster 100V wheel on ebay, the one you said you saw on Facebook. The one on ebay is the Monster V3 not the Monster Pro like I thought, which means the battery is only the same size as a V11, and it's much much older electronics technology and parts are basically non-existent.

I'd stick with the V11 direction you wisely chose...

I can confirm the monster on ebay is the same monster I saw on FB marketplace 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BlueCrow said:

Whoops. Forgot to add the link. https://www.facebook.com/share/xbJvXK2ETnv83qFr/?mibextid=kL3p88

It's on Facebook marketplace, not eBay.

Oh, well.

I reached out to the seller, he said he could ship for a little extra so now I'm just waiting till I get paid on friday or when the refund from ebay hits. There is another one for sale on FB marketplace thats an hour away from me. I might pick it up if this one falls through. 

Edited by Steeleyedblue
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Pro tip - when you have both feet on pedals - start falling on your face fast as possible. (Trust fall, but forwards) By doing that you will start riding forwards. < That gave me the most problems when i was learning - I simply wasn't leaning/falling enough to start going....

I second this. It's exactly the thing that got me riding after messing around for a while. Stand up next to a pole or wall or something at first, but you can't really get a feel for how it properly behaves like that because you're shifting a lot of weight and focus to that handhold. I was trying to walk along a fence, trying to stay on dirt and grass so it would hurt less when I fell, and that was all crap. A nicely paved parking lot was my best option. You'll need to trust that it won't let you fall on your face or your back. Just lean forward and you'll notice that it feels a lot like a bike - it's easier to keep side-to-side balance when you're moving. That, plus appropriate padding (elbows, knees, and wrist guards are what I felt best with on day one) will give you the confidence to just start riding pretty quick.

Oh, speaking of padding and day one - I developed a NASTY bruise with some bleeding right above my ankle while I was learning on the V11. It may just be something about how I managed to fall off or it may be that when your weight leaves the pedal, the suspension throws that pedal HARD into your leg. Even with a knee/shin guard, that spot on the inside of your leg just above your ankle is totally unprotected. Anyhow, I went to Dollar Tree, bought the biggest flip-flops I could find, pulled out the "straps", added a little tape and Velcro, and made myself a little custom pad for sitting right there above my ankles. Once I was better at it, I didn't need those pads anymore but man, they saved me some serious pain as I felt the pedal smashing those pads repeatedly while I learned. You may have a different experience but hey, an extra pair of cheap flip-flops is never a bad thing to have on-hand.

Oh, and also, I got a full face helmet shortly too because I was riding at 15mph by the end of day one and going any faster than that feels awful scary for my beautiful face. You can look around here for the best advice for helmets and pads but the typical answer will be "the really expensive ones are the best and your surviving a crash is worth that many dollars," and I'm not going to argue against that point. Just know that a full-face motorcycle helmet can make it awfully hard to have any kind of conversation, and your lens will almost definitely fog in the winter no matter what you do; because you live in Ohio.

1 hour ago, Steeleyedblue said:

I reached out to the seller, he said he could ship for a little extra so now I'm just waiting till I get paid on friday or when the refund from ebay hits. There is another one for sale on FB marketplace thats an hour away from me. I might pick it up if this one falls through. 

Nice. Blessing in disguise with the reneged eBay sale.

58 minutes ago, TheBigBore said:

I second this. It's exactly the thing that got me riding after messing around for a while. Stand up next to a pole or wall or something at first, but you can't really get a feel for how it properly behaves like that because you're shifting a lot of weight and focus to that handhold. I was trying to walk along a fence, trying to stay on dirt and grass so it would hurt less when I fell, and that was all crap. A nicely paved parking lot was my best option. You'll need to trust that it won't let you fall on your face or your back. Just lean forward and you'll notice that it feels a lot like a bike - it's easier to keep side-to-side balance when you're moving. That, plus appropriate padding (elbows, knees, and wrist guards are what I felt best with on day one) will give you the confidence to just start riding pretty quick.

Oh, speaking of padding and day one - I developed a NASTY bruise with some bleeding right above my ankle while I was learning on the V11. It may just be something about how I managed to fall off or it may be that when your weight leaves the pedal, the suspension throws that pedal HARD into your leg. Even with a knee/shin guard, that spot on the inside of your leg just above your ankle is totally unprotected. Anyhow, I went to Dollar Tree, bought the biggest flip-flops I could find, pulled out the "straps", added a little tape and Velcro, and made myself a little custom pad for sitting right there above my ankles. Once I was better at it, I didn't need those pads anymore but man, they saved me some serious pain as I felt the pedal smashing those pads repeatedly while I learned. You may have a different experience but hey, an extra pair of cheap flip-flops is never a bad thing to have on-hand.

Oh, and also, I got a full face helmet shortly too because I was riding at 15mph by the end of day one and going any faster than that feels awful scary for my beautiful face. You can look around here for the best advice for helmets and pads but the typical answer will be "the really expensive ones are the best and your surviving a crash is worth that many dollars," and I'm not going to argue against that point. Just know that a full-face motorcycle helmet can make it awfully hard to have any kind of conversation, and your lens will almost definitely fog in the winter no matter what you do; because you live in Ohio.

I actually already have a full faced motorcycle helmet, I'm gonna get leg armor and an armored jacket at some point too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheBigBore said:

I learned also on grass/dirt. :D Doh i didn't hold on to anything, i was trying to free mount right from the start. I learned to mount the thing, before riding once.. Because in my head i thought one needs be available to step on/off first before riding.. 3 days (20 mins per day) i was balancing in place with both of my feet on pedals for 2-3 seconds before loosing said balance and stepping off.. 4th day i said DUCK IT and did superman lean forwards. That got me going right away. Riding was very easy - 10 mins from my very first ride i was already going in circles and doing "8". Stepping off gave my little bit of problems like stepping off to fast and doing 2/3 one legged hops following euc. Or euc simply falling on it's side. 

Same time i was already riding true people and around city on my 3rd ride.

Gear i got only when i started to ride faster.. While learning i had zero gear. And nowadays i'm only using wrist guards on daily commutes. I only gear up when i got for "fun" rides as i often go faster at them. (Full face helmet, wrist/knee guards - that's my gear.) :D 

At summer i'm riding jeans and T-shirt.. Love that wind blowing from riding in hot, hot day.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

I learned also on grass/dirt. :D Doh i didn't hold on to anything, i was trying to free mount right from the start. I learned to mount the thing, before riding once.. Because in my head i thought one needs be available to step on/off first before riding.. 3 days (20 mins per day) i was balancing in place with both of my feet on pedals for 2-3 seconds before loosing said balance and stepping off.. 4th day i said DUCK IT and did superman lean forwards. That got me going right away. Riding was very easy - 10 mins from my very first ride i was already going in circles and doing "8". Stepping off gave my little bit of problems like stepping off to fast and doing 2/3 one legged hops following euc. Or euc simply falling on it's side. 

Same time i was already riding true people and around city on my 3rd ride.

Gear i got only when i started to ride faster.. While learning i had zero gear. And nowadays i'm only using wrist guards on daily commutes. I only gear up when i got for "fun" rides as i often go faster at them. (Full face helmet, wrist/knee guards - that's my gear.) :D 

At summer i'm riding jeans and T-shirt.. Love that wind blowing from riding in hot, hot day.

It's so interesting to see a totally different experience in learning, aside from the one thing that made it click for both of us. I didn't learn to free mount for a while. But yeah, once I leaned into it, I was riding almost instantly. The first time, I made it about 6 feet. The second, 20 feet - I didn't quite have turning figured out yet. The third try, I was off, riding around freely.

I will admit that I also don't gear up all the way, all the time. I always wear wrist guards and usually at least knee/shin guards. Honestly, for me, it's the standard amount of pain always present, especially in my joints, that makes me a little more concerned about a harsh landing. But if I'm going to be on a road with any potential traffic, I usually gear up all the way. The reason for that is that I live in a very rural area with lots of hills and blind curves. I just don't trust everyone to spot me right away. No problems yet, but the thought remains. Also, I notice that I'm a lot more willing to hit higher speeds when I'm geared up than when I'm not.

Oh, a couple more tips: I would suggest getting EUC World or Darkness Bot app right away so you can tweak your settings as you learn; or at least see what your wheel is doing while you ride. I use EUC World personally, and I sometimes throw my phone in one of those runner's armbands you can pick up at Dollar Tree, strapped to my forearm so that I can quickly see speeds and what-not. If you do that, make sure the opening is pointed up your arm and not toward your wrist (I learned that one the hard way when I flung my phone into a pavilion early on with a quick jerk). I also mounted a bubble mirror to the back of my wrist guard so that I can take a look behind me. Now I've attached a bike helmet mirror to my helmet so that I don't have to lift my arm and make everyone think I'm trying to signal a turn or something. Haha.

Edited by TheBigBore

57 minutes ago, TheBigBore said:

It's so interesting to see a totally different experience in learning, aside from the one thing that made it click for both of us. I didn't learn to free mount for a while. But yeah, once I leaned into it, I was riding almost instantly. The first time, I made it about 6 feet. The second, 20 feet - I didn't quite have turning figured out yet. The third try, I was off, riding around freely.

I will admit that I also don't gear up all the way, all the time. I always wear wrist guards and usually at least knee/shin guards. Honestly, for me, it's the standard amount of pain always present, especially in my joints, that makes me a little more concerned about a harsh landing. But if I'm going to be on a road with any potential traffic, I usually gear up all the way. The reason for that is that I live in a very rural area with lots of hills and blind curves. I just don't trust everyone to spot me right away. No problems yet, but the thought remains. Also, I notice that I'm a lot more willing to hit higher speeds when I'm geared up than when I'm not.

Oh, a couple more tips: I would suggest getting EUC World or Darkness Bot app right away so you can tweak your settings as you learn; or at least see what your wheel is doing while you ride. I use EUC World personally, and I sometimes throw my phone in one of those runner's armbands you can pick up at Dollar Tree, strapped to my forearm so that I can quickly see speeds and what-not. If you do that, make sure the opening is pointed up your arm and not toward your wrist (I learned that one the hard way when I flung my phone into a pavilion early on with a quick jerk). I also mounted a bubble mirror to the back of my wrist guard so that I can take a look behind me. Now I've attached a bike helmet mirror to my helmet so that I don't have to lift my arm and make everyone think I'm trying to signal a turn or something. Haha.

I simply turn sideways and look back if i ever need to. I don't ride on street with cars (we can't here even if i wanted to - law) I enjoy sidewalks. Also i don't have almost any pedestrians around here.. Sure i slow down around blind areas also.. Need be i even slow down to walking speeds. Like when i step out of train and slowly ride behind some people. Otherwise i go what ever speeds i want. :D 

On 4/15/2024 at 11:47 PM, Steeleyedblue said:

So how did it go? Which wheel did you end up with? Have you started learning yet?

• Like 2

@Steeleyedblue congratulations on the wheel and the decent first ride! I started on a v11 as well. Great all round euc. You’ll be turning and cruising around in no time. Have fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2024 at 9:14 PM, Steeleyedblue said:

I just got the wheel today! Its a v11, about 1k km on it. Took it out for about 45 mins, at first I really struggled to keep it stable because I wasnt trusting it to keep me upright but towards the end I was able to go about 700 ft before I lost my balance and fell cuz I was trying to turn. A few weeks of practice and I think Ill be able to commute to work on it!

Really happy for you bro! You'll be commuting to work within 1-2 weeks if you managed to balance on it like that on first day!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 10:19 AM, Esash said:

Really happy for you bro! You'll be commuting to work within 1-2 weeks if you managed to balance on it like that on first day!

Just went out for my second ever ride, spent about 15 mins getting a feel for how much "oomph" is needed by standing between two wooden poles and stabilizing myself and leaning forwards and backwards. Figured out a reliable trick for braking by bending my knees and "pushing" forward with my feet. It throws my center of balance backwards reliably. Also figured out how to self launch by taking that principle and applying it in the reverse. Still getting wobbles though when I accelerate, I was able to counteract that some by gripping with calves and squeezing, but there were a few times that the wheel just decided it wanted to go crazy and I had to stop and reset myself. Ended up doing a whole 1 mile loop without falling at a lower speed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

Just went out for my second ever ride, spent about 15 mins getting a feel for how much "oomph" is needed by standing between two wooden poles and stabilizing myself and leaning forwards and backwards. Figured out a reliable trick for braking by bending my knees and "pushing" forward with my feet. It throws my center of balance backwards reliably. Also figured out how to self launch by taking that principle and applying it in the reverse. Still getting wobbles though when I accelerate, I was able to counteract that some by gripping with calves and squeezing, but there were a few times that the wheel just decided it wanted to go crazy and I had to stop and reset myself. Ended up doing a whole 1 mile loop without falling at a lower speed.

I'm super happy for you!  And yeah it turns out that merely bending your knees to lower your body has the effect of braking, somehow. So remember that if you're ever going down a big hill.

Before I knew that about just bending your knees, I used to struggle sometimes going down hills, where I was just trying to lean back.

Oh, and your profile should say V11, not V10F :efef50e3ba:

Keep us updated with your progress! I bet next week or 2 you'll be riding to work maybe.

I think Im going to get some different pedals soon, and a wider set of powerpads. I feel Like I would be more comfortable and stable if I had something more substantial to rest my legs/shins against when riding. the ones on there now are good but I get the vibe that they are for a smaller, narrower rider. The pedals also are a bit uncomfortable, they're spiked which isn't too terrible but my feet are much too big for them (I wear size 14 1/2s american), also I'm not sure if this is normal but they don't fold out all the way and are instead somewhat canted upwards when fully deployed. This means my feel are always in a sort of "rolled" position. It does have the benefit of locking my knees into the EUC which makes me feel more stable but after 10 mins my legs and feet are so sore I feel Like I've been riding bulls again.

I feel like this is going to be a really good healthy hobby for me as I work on losing weight and getting health back under control. I'm a cybersecurity analyst so I sit around and stare at computers and terminals all day and after I caught Covid last year I noticed huge amounts of rapid weight gain.

I'll keep you all posted as I get better at riding! thanks for the support!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Steeleyedblue said:

I think Im going to get some different pedals soon, and a wider set of powerpads. I feel Like I would be more comfortable and stable if I had something more substantial to rest my legs/shins against when riding. the ones on there now are good but I get the vibe that they are for a smaller, narrower rider. The pedals also are a bit uncomfortable, they're spiked which isn't too terrible but my feet are much too big for them (I wear size 14 1/2s american), also I'm not sure if this is normal but they don't fold out all the way and are instead somewhat canted upwards when fully deployed. This means my feel are always in a sort of "rolled" position. It does have the benefit of locking my knees into the EUC which makes me feel more stable but after 10 mins my legs and feet are so sore I feel Like I've been riding bulls again.

I feel like this is going to be a really good healthy hobby for me as I work on losing weight and getting health back under control. I'm a cybersecurity analyst so I sit around and stare at computers and terminals all day and after I caught Covid last year I noticed huge amounts of rapid weight gain.

I'll keep you all posted as I get better at riding! thanks for the support!

When I started riding my first EUC, I started running short sprints so that if I ever fell off my wheel, I might be better prepared to run it out and stay on my feet. But the short sprints (like 40 yard dash at the NFL Combine) turned into my fitness passion, not EUC.

So the EUC might be your new fitness passion, or it might just be your gateway to a new fitness lifestyle that includes but does not revolve around EUC. You might just end up riding the V11 to the park or the gym, as part of an active lifestyle.

Riding these things definitely gets the noggin joggin and thinking about fitness, that's for sure.

If EUC ends up becoming your fitness passion in itself, it will likely involve a lot of adaptation to pain in your feet/ankles/legs. Some of the more experienced riders will be able to elaborate on this or correct me entirely.

But finding a dirt trail for even 30-60 minutes, that will always be fun and great exercise. You're in a great situation with a sweet new wheel in the best time of year to be getting more active.

9 hours ago, Esash said:

Riding these things definitely gets the noggin joggin and thinking about fitness, that's for sure.

I love you phrased that. As a general approach to pain management, one of the theories that makes sense to me is that of how capsaicin works. Basically it tricks the brain into feeling a lot of pain to numb out everything else. I suspect the same thing about riding EUC, it tricks the brain into feeling a lot of pain so that the normal aches and pains seem to go away. Well, that's my theory anyhow.

9 hours ago, woke rider said:

I love you phrased that. As a general approach to pain management, one of the theories that makes sense to me is that of how capsaicin works. Basically it tricks the brain into feeling a lot of pain to numb out everything else. I suspect the same thing about riding EUC, it tricks the brain into feeling a lot of pain so that the normal aches and pains seem to go away. Well, that's my theory anyhow.

I definitely understand what you mean lol, my legs are sore AF after just riding it for 2 consecutive days. I assume its because I'm using specific muscle groups in ways that my body isn't used to. Surprisingly what's sore the most is my core, which is good as that's where most of my weight is centered and the area I want to strengthen the most.

In other news, nailed a job interview for a new job today, decided to reward myself with an afternoon ride around our block and ended up riding for 2 1/2 miles. Planning to ride a bout the same distance into the city tonight to meet up with some friends for bar trivia. Hopefully I dont fall into traffic and die but if I do then I guess I don't have to pay taxes anymore lmao.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

I definitely understand what you mean lol, my legs are sore AF after just riding it for 2 consecutive days. I assume its because I'm using specific muscle groups in ways that my body isn't used to. Surprisingly what's sore the most is my core, which is good as that's where most of my weight is centered and the area I want to strengthen the most.

In other news, nailed a job interview for a new job today, decided to reward myself with an afternoon ride around our block and ended up riding for 2 1/2 miles. Planning to ride a bout the same distance into the city tonight to meet up with some friends for bar trivia. Hopefully I dont fall into traffic and die but if I do then I guess I don't have to pay taxes anymore lmao.

Can confirm I did not die and completed my first successful city "commute". Also stopping and stepping off safely is hard lmao....

Will be investing in a good pair of knee and elbow pads soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steeleyedblue said:

Can confirm I did not die and completed my first successful city "commute". Also stopping and stepping off safely is hard lmao....

Will be investing in a good pair of knee and elbow pads soon.

Soon enough it will be so easy to ride, as you will forget all about your "newbie" pains and aches. First 300-500Km is the hardest.

• Like 1