Fighting back...

1 hour ago, TimDelaware said:

Can people link the offending videos? I have no clue who you mean

Search 'Broadway Bomb' on YT and you'll find some 'classics'. Here's one to start you off.

• Thanks 2

If all the energy people spend complaining about NYC riders was instead devoted to actual lobbying of city hall etc. to improve the laws EUC would be fully legal by now. :)

• Upvote 1

Taking a look I think it’s naive that this will change any regulation. It may be held up as an example… but I doubt it’ll have any significant impact on decision making. At the end of the day we’re riding a device with zero redundancy - that’s all it will take for legislators to make their decision

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TimDelaware said:

At the end of the day we’re riding a device with zero redundancy - that’s all it will take for legislators to make their decision

I too fear that might be the case, but that's why I want to make sure anyone responsible for making that sort of decision has also seen / been sent a video that explains why bigger motors and safety margins mitigate that problem and bring it down to what might be considered a 'reasonable risk'. What do people do when paragliding (always my go-to comparison for 'dangerous sports', or at least one with high consequences if it all goes tits up) ? They also have no redundancy other than the spare parachute you bring with you. Motorbikes that can skid out round oily corners, or whose brakes may fail have no redundancy for such problems either, other than the armour the rider wears to mitigate the risk. That risk is deemed reasonable as it is for skiing, paragliding, and all those other dangerous things that humans want to do in public. Hell, if the wheel falls off the front of your little legal rental scooter you got from a stand in town, you're going down, and there is no redundancy for that either !

All these things conspire to make me think there is still a small chance that eventually these people will consider proper, sensible regulation, or that our numbers will remain so small that they feel they can largely ignore us altogether. But when they do start making laws in a local area that had none previously, I just think it would be good to have the sort of video I am talking about on hand to send them - if there is even the slightest chance that it influences their opinion in even the smallest way, that is still more helpful than not having had any input at all. Of course I can't avoid or dismiss the likelihood that I am just wrong, and these people all just take the laziest option every time these days; we are certainly not short on that sort of evidence, but I remain dimly hopeful that humans will get the rules right eventually, even if there is 10 year period of silly over-regulation and reactionary bans initially as there was (and still is) with drones, motorbikes, and even bicycles before them !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TimDelaware said:

Taking a look I think it’s naive that this will change any regulation. It may be held up as an example… but I doubt it’ll have any significant impact on decision making. At the end of the day we’re riding a device with zero redundancy - that’s all it will take for legislators to make their decision

@fryman fought the law, but the law won (verse from an oldie). Hopefully, he'll see my ping and explain his saga with the Parks Commission in Johnson County, KS (Olathe-KC,KS). He put a lot of effort into it, but maybe we can all learn from it.

Nobody (generally) cares about (your) security. Only how it looks and the effect of it on re-election.

That's why bright demonstrations of stupidity and recklessness have the potential of bringing on a ban - looks bad in the eyes of the electorate.

Otherwise, motorcycles are extremely dangerous machines and would have been banned if the corporations producing them were not negating the bad re-election effects with their traditional means (money, generally).

Edited by Aztek

5 hours ago, Aztek said:

Nobody (generally) cares about (your) security. Only how it looks and the effect of it on re-election.

That's why bright demonstrations of stupidity and recklessness have the potential of bringing on a ban - looks bad in the eyes of the electorate.

Otherwise, motorcycles are extremely dangerous machines and would have been banned if the corporations producing them were not negating the bad re-election effects with their traditional means (money, generally).

My friend, motorbikes are not legal due to 150 years of lobbyist intervention and neither do they produce a spinning 40kg missile when the engine dies. Let’s just be real about what we’re expecting from legislators and the risks we take and why. 

It's not right to be hating on all the NYC riders. Especially because since we don't live there we can't sense how keyed up people get and how fast the pace of life actually is. In my small city people can get pretty keyed up and do some aggressive stuff, even in their trucks and cars. And it's not right to group all the NYC riders into the dangerous rider category. I'm trying not do be judgey.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, woke rider said:

It's not right to be hating on all the NYC riders.

The point of this thread is not to hate on them at all. We all acknowledge the skill and bravery on show by those guys. Their videos are often highly entertaining watches. We are merely worried that officials evaluating the hobby will consider that behaviour typical of the wider EUC community.

So they are merely referred to here as being a prominent reason why we might need videos that show a different kind of riding style and behaviour...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

I just don't think they NYC drag racers are an accurate representation. I do hope nobody gets hurt. Even George Lucas, the film director, was severely injured in a car drag race. It's normal for this stage of EUC development. I agree, yes, we should have more videos of people being considerate to others since this is the norm for us riders. As a group we are friendly and considerate, even in NYC.

• Like 1

NYC DOT has declared Skooters, EUCS, Eboards, and oneWheels "Not Legal" They created a handy printout for NYPD and "Brownies" so giving out a ticket is easy.

In my hometown outside NYC, I was able to help get rid of an antiquated Moped law, I worked with Lime E-Scooter people who had a financial incentive to come here.  Several Commercial building owners have "CitiBike" EBikes for tenants to make short trips around town or ride over to the train station. Without these stakeholders, we would not have a chance of any progress.

There is one Bike shop in my large town, and They won't touch anything with a battery. Thankfully #AIrides is an easy car or train ride in the Bronx. I've shared their contact info and he has sent several clients there. 

Back to the Big Apple, NYC LIVES on take-out food, PEV riders are the only way to quickly deliver a hot meal in traffic-choked NYC. More than a dozen New Yorkers have died in PEV fires, but NYC cannot fully ban them. 

So, fellow NYC riderz: Be polite, keep your craziest videos off the internet, and obey local traffic signals. avoiding this will lead to more severe enforcement.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TimDelaware said:

My friend, motorbikes are not legal due to 150 years of lobbyist intervention

You are right. I'm missing here the tradition in motorcycle transport. There's more to it, indeed.

7 hours ago, TimDelaware said:

and neither do they produce a spinning 40kg missile when the engine dies.

No, they produce a flying 150 kg missile when something goes wrong 😀

Edited by Aztek

New York should rather ban exhaust producing vehicles within the downtown area. The city has the laws the complete opposite of what they should be as far as healthy air goes. Maybe the Boring company can create a PEV level 3 stories under for New York? The city could create fun riding features and connect to the trains. It would be awesome.

More than a video we need to be talking to our representative about defining an euc as a class 3 ebike ... 

But people like in this article will only help ban it altogether.... https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/news/2024/04/04/electric-unicycle-rider-seen-cruising-down-i-15-in-the-cajon-pass/73187791007/

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

More than a video we need to be talking to our representative about defining an euc as a class 3 ebike ... 

But people like in this article will only help ban it altogether.... https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/news/2024/04/04/electric-unicycle-rider-seen-cruising-down-i-15-in-the-cajon-pass/73187791007/

EUC are better than bikes because they come so much closer to replacing cars than bicycles can ever hope to. The video helps to educate the public on this very point.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:47 AM, woke rider said:

Banning personal electric vehicles in New York City is one of the most backwards laws ever.

You are right, but with great power comes with great responsibility ...

Isn't NYC adding some type of tax for driving in the city??! It will greatly reduce car driving... Congestion driving tax...

Edited by MetricUSA