Are these reviews fake or just a strange coincidence?

I'm looking at the Mten Mini on Ewheels and noticed that two of the three reviews seem remarkably similar.

Review 1

"Quality built EUC for children. With Begode's improved firmware, you can reach 10 mph before you start hearing beeps. And it has a max speed of 13 mph when you experience tilt back. This is line with advertising and the expectations I had. It's exciting and my children can enjoy their need for speed. But be weary of this "introductory" wheel, as its mostly suitable for children. As an adult, go for the Mten4 instead, becuase it's roughly the same size and much more value for the money."

Review 2

"Quality built EUC. Absolutely tiny and fits my 2year old well. You can reach 10mph before hearing beeps. And a max speed of 13mph when you feel the tilt back safety feature. This "introductory" wheel is more suitable for children, but adults can try too. However, if you’re older then I suggest the Mten4 instead, because it's roughly the same size and much more value/ performance for the money."

42 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Nothing so sinister. The same Customer posted the same review twice, he wasn't able to edit the original one. Unlike other review systems, ours shows the full first/last name, real people you can look up. No need to jump to conspiracies when Occam's razor will do.  

Interesting. That review has ALL the hallmarks of an AI generated block of text. It's 'conversational' in such an unrealistic way...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RooEUC said:

much more value for the money."

This is line with advertising and the expectations I had.

It's exciting and my children can enjoy their need for speed.

See what I mean ?  Humans don't talk like this !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

See what I mean ?  Humans don't talk like this !

They often wright differently than they talk in person.  And people all over the world talk and wright in many different styles.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Nothing so sinister. The same Customer posted the same review twice, he wasn't able to edit the original one. Unlike other review systems, ours shows the full first/last name, real people you can look up. No need to jump to conspiracies when Occam's razor will do.  

One of the reviewers is called "EUCfamily".  That's an interesting real name.

As for jumping to conspiracies, I was just looking for reviews on the wheel and noticed that there are two reviews on the page that were posted under two different names and both seem suspiciously similar.  In this case Occam's Razor would actually point to fake reviews, in my opinion.  Occam's Razor relates to the simplest explanation being the most likely and in this case, given how many other sites and companies use fake reviews to promote their business and/or products, one or both of the reviews being fake would perhaps be a simpler explanation than a customer deciding to review a product twice, under two different usernames, using very similar, but slightly different language and then having (I guess) technical problems preventing them from deleting the first review and the website owner leaving both up, giving the impression that there are more positive reviews than there really are, unintentionally of course.  I accept your word that the more complicated explanation is the true one, but you did bring up Occam's Razor and I don't think that works the way you intended it to work here.

Edited by RooEUC

4 minutes ago, Bizra6ot said:

5 A.I content detectors said Human written  

When I asked if the reviews were fake, I didn't mean A.I. generated, I just meant typed by a person affiliated with the website or the manufacturer with the goal of producing some early 5 star reviews to encourage sales.

Of course there is nothing to stop a real customer using Chat GPT to more eloquently phrase their feedback / review.

All I am saying is that the specific wording used is highly characteristic of the sort of output AI tends to generate.

We already see the same in AI art to a large degree - humans have become incredibly good at spotting its traits in a very short space of time.

Cheating is allowed, but most people are gonna know you did it ! ;)

1 hour ago, Dan Cobar said:

They often wright differently than they talk in person.  And people all over the world talk and wright in many different styles.

Ah, but that's the key - people don't write like this either ! :) It is 'wrong' in a uniquely AI sort of way that supersedes, or at least is independent of any typical stylistic variation. For now it is still spottable - with more inputs, and updated models it will be less so, unless what may yet happen to AI art also happens to AI text generation - it gets trained by its own output, resulting in even more 'characterful' (and increasingly bizarre to the human observer) results ! 'Will AI eat itself ?' is a question that will soon be valid. Personally, I rather hope it does, before it devalues human effort any further ! :)

Edited by Cerbera

As for jumping to conspiracies, I was just looking for reviews on the wheel and noticed that there are two reviews on the page that were posted under two different names and both seem suspiciously similar.  In this case Occam's Razor would actually point to fake reviews, in my opinion.  Occam's Razor relates to the simplest explanation being the most likely and in this case, given how many other sites and companies use fake reviews to promote their business and/or products, one or both of the reviews being fake would perhaps be a simpler explanation than a customer deciding to review a product twice, under two different usernames, using very similar, but slightly different language and then having (I guess) technical problems preventing them from deleting the first review and the website owner leaving both up, giving the impression that there are more positive reviews than there really are, unintentionally of course.  I accept your word that the more complicated explanation is the true one, but you did bring up Occam's Razor and I don't think that works the way you intended it to work here.

Fully agree, wanted to point out the same thing. One thing though,

I think he meant it's a recognizable community member, there's an euc youtube channel with that name

On 3/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, RooEUC said:

When I asked if the reviews were fake, I didn't mean A.I. generated, I just meant typed by a person affiliated with the website or the manufacturer with the goal of producing some early 5 star reviews to encourage sales.

I'd give EWheels more credit than that. If you were talking about an AliExpress dealer, then probably yes.

• Like 3