Is the Begode Master way too much for a 1st timer?

6 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

A few of our local riders had some traditional unicycle riding experience and all of them picked it up much easier than most.  I obviously can’t say for sure if it was that background or that those people might just be better at picking up balancing activities than others. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I had no experience in any kind of EUC riding. Only regular bicycle for over a decade. And in general i was an "shut-in" who doesn't enjoy outdoor activities. And balancing gave me zero problems. I was staying on EUC with both feet on pedals, but in place for about 3 seconds before loosing balance, because i wasn't moving forwards. When i finally had enough at 4th day.. I did crazy superman lean and that got me going. When wheel started to move forwards - from that moment it was very easy.

I figure balancing in place for 4 days made me a pro. :D Because soon as wheel started to move forwards - it was so effortless to balance/ride. Felt like you where simply standing. Second day of riding i was already riding true people/city - That easy.

Only stopping gave me little bit of issue. As sometimes i dropped wheel sideways, or put feet down to fast and wheel went forwards 1 meter and dropping sideways. At least for first week or so. One time wheel did a barrel roll (I saw tire/handle/tire/handle 2 times. Rolling like a coin, before stopping and dropping sideways. :D

Edited by Funky

19 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

And thank GOD that I didn't have access to an ET MAX after my first 20 hours, because I would have been gone and buried, a long time ago. 

You can absolutely wreck yourself on a Master. I should know, I am currently dead. :efee8c29ce:

Edited by noonewantstobepeterchris

24 minutes ago, noonewantstobepeterchris said:

Nope. They said they have a 20 mile commute in North America.

You where talking about the Author. And i was saying in general. :D (Little bit miss read your comment.. :whistling:)

Yup in his case - those smaller wheels would be pointless for sure. And i think he knows how big range he needs, so naturally anything that cant do double the range aren't even worth thinking. 

If he needs 20 miles, he should look for wheel that can do 40 miles. And Master should have it. :) Simply because wheels operate the best when battery is on fuller side, rater than empty side.

23 minutes ago, noonewantstobepeterchris said:

I am currently dead. :efee8c29ce:

How are you typing then? Ghost? Zombie? Vampire? Ghoul? Reincarnated squirrel jumping on keyboard? :efee78d764:

2 hours ago, noonewantstobepeterchris said:

You can absolutely wreck yourself on a Master.

He's right. But much less chance of doing so if you take it very slowly and gradually work up to higher speeds and different terrain types.

Also, consider a break-away tether. Then at least you if you both go down the Master won't bounce itself to death and make you limp home trying to carry its remains !

Edited by Cerbera

11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

He's right. But much less chance of doing so if you take it very slowly and gradually work up to higher speeds and different terrain types.

Also, consider a break-away tether. Then at least you if you both go down the Master won't bounce itself to death and make you limp home trying to carry its remains !

I agree with 1/2 of this, i made the mistake of hitting the top speed on my v11 before i was really used to and relaxed on the wheel. I tried to pull a quick maneuver and slice over to the sidewalk at top speed and basically death wobbled into a sign avoiding the telephone pole next to it..:w00t2:. luckily i was ok with just a sore wrist and shoulder since that's what hit the sign first and i had slowed to about 15mph before impact. Give it a hundred miles or so before you start adding some speeds above 25mph. Wobbles will come when your  legs start to get tired of if they are really tense and you aren't relaxed about the speed you are doing. As far as tethering a 100lb object to yourself, not a great idea IMO.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

As far as tethering a 100lb object to yourself, not a great idea IMO.

There's good arguments on both sides here, but the key word I used was 'break-away' ! ;) I agree tying a rope between you and the wheel is a terrible idea, but if your tether both stretches and (repairably) breaks as it pulls the wheel over, to me that's the best of both worlds. You only got watch Dawn ride for a while to see just how many times that tether saves her machine (spoiler - it's about 10 times !)...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Simply don't go down then.. How hard is that. Do you often fall while walking? If yes - i think you need to see a doctor. :efefb6a84e:

Edited by Funky

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Simply don't go down then.. How hard is that. Do you often fall while walking? If yes - i think you need to see a doctor. :efefb6a84e:

Never ridden offroad? You should ride some MTB trails some time, it's a lot of fun :)

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 9:50 AM, vashdash said:

Wow, holy snap. This is a lot to digest.

I guess I would like to thank everyone for their detailed and comprehensive input.

@Mango@Funky@meepmeepmayer@Voyager@Cerbera@Punxatawneyjoe@xiiijojjo@Panzer04

Thank you all so much for all the info yinz given.

To answer or maybe justify a few of my reasons for even considering the Begode Master in the first place. I've been riding on/off a regular unicycle for a few years now, so I felt pretty confident that I could persevere through the learning curve of an EUC. I also commute on a motorcycle so, I have most of the needed ATGATT stuff. I have my own garage stocked full of tools and fabrication equipment so, I'm very confident in my ability to fix, maintain, and fabricate any parts I would need for any EUC. Including building new battery modules (as long as I can source the 50E cells) and service any surface mount ICs (MOSFETS, etc) that may blow up.

I know I can lift the weight of the Master in/out of my car and I don't have any stairs I would need to contend with... I live in the suburbs.

I'll admit, I've never given thought to suspension vs no suspension when it comes to how it would affect my learning experience. Also, never thought about after market pads/handle/bumpers. I see them a lot in a bunch of videos and I guess if you want the EUC to hug you and be responsive then it's an absolute must. And I didn't know the Master had multiple versions and that v1 is basically shite. :D

Having somewhat justified why I thought I could start off on a Master, what everyone has basically hinted at is correct. There is no substitute for experience, the fact is: I have never ridden an EUC before, I don't even have experience on hoverboards. And this is the reason I'm a little hesitant on getting a Master and just going for it.

TLDR: I guess I'll have to do some more soul-searching to see if I truly believe I can grow into a Master or if I'm just an over-confident squid that thinks he can start out on a Hayabusa because "I'll just out grow the CBR250 in 3 month". :wub:

Everything I have heard indicates traditional unicyclists pick up EUCs almost immediately. That being the case, you'll be fine with a Master. Just take it slow working up to those speeds, learn how to hard-brake and deal with wobbles, etc. I have many fewer reservations about recommending a bigger wheel (and in any case I think the only annoying part is constantly dropping a 40kg EUC and not banging up your ankles etc :P)

I don't think bigger wheels are really comparable to motorcycles, oddly enough. They let you go faster, yes, but they don't have better acceleration like bigger motorcycles do. if anything, I could accelerate faster on a smaller wheel, but the top speed and limited power means you have to be much more aware of overleaning it. You are limited by the physics inherent to EUCs that mean you just can't accelerate and brake as quickly as you could on a motorcycle or in a car. Just take it as it comes, practice how to ride and before you know it you'll be flying around :)

I will strongly encourage setting good safety settings (ie. PWM tiltback and beeps) - Later begode firmwares make these available and IMO are a huge boon to safety, since you can consistently ensure you are aware of where the limits of your wheel lie and when you're getting close to exceeding them (unlike older "fixed speed" warnings and the like)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Panzer04 said:

Never ridden offroad? You should ride some MTB trails some time, it's a lot of fun :)

I did in second month of owning EUC. Yes it was fun going up/down all the time over bumps and whatnot. But I stopped doing that because i was worried about my axle. (I'm 280lbs). Nowadays i'm more or less only using it for commutes.

I don't really see point of riding around endlessly anyways.. Not fun for me at least.