KS16X Motherboard "Over current" -103.6A ...wth is going on?

BKW

So yesterday I was riding in the rain (light rain) for an extended amount of time. I've never had any issues before doing this, but last night while I was out my King Song 16X starts feeling like it is grinding a bit when riding. Then it starts beeping: "Warning! Over current!". It keeps beeping and beeping saying this.

I check the Kingsong app on my iphone and I see "Motherboard over-current. Ride with caution" (see picture). The apps taken in this picture read 51.28A. I saw it higher like 80A as well...

I go home let the wheel sit a bit. Today I open up the wheel and the motherboard looks fine. I don't notice anything burnt or wet or anything. I still get the warning messages when I turn it on. So I disconnect the motor cable and plug it back on and leave the wheel on and it seems to have fixed the solution. (I should have checked the app for diagnostics but didn't). I reassmble the wheel and after I resemble I turn it back on and the messages is saying it again, and beeping, and I take a picture on my android with EUC World and I get 72degree F, 22% battery charge (even though it's full I just charged it) and the current is like -103.6A (it was higher as well) SEE PICTURE

WTH is going on??  Motherboard issue?

IMG_0818.PNG

Screenshot_20240129-201415_EUC World.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BKW said:

WTH is going on??

I am no expert but since KS has no water ingress rating, it seems like was has intruded where it shouldn't and is shorting something out. Maybe BMS maybe motherboard. I would be very careful about battery fires if water got into them. My guess is it's not actually shorted at 100+amps otherwise you would already have noticed something getting warm/smoking.

12 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I am no expert but since KS has no water ingress rating, it seems like was has intruded where it shouldn't and is shorting something out. Maybe BMS maybe motherboard. I would be very careful about battery fires if water got into them. My guess is it's not actually shorted at 100+amps otherwise you would already have noticed something getting warm/smoking.

I don't know if it's the BMS, but this issue happened last night. I charged the EUC since then and no issues with charging. The issue only happens when I turn on the wheel and I get the motherboard over-current warnings.

It's hard to diagnose because I see no visual issues with the motherboard, and same with the battery packs.

If it is a faulty motherboard then would that cause it to draw too much amps from the batteries? Is there something on the motherboard that controls the input/output of amps that would cause the "over-current" issue?

I am very close to buying a new motherboard because I can't really think of anything else.

This issue is freaking me out because I am reading how overcurrent can cause fires and/or a runaway situation  with the battery that can cause fires.

i do not know if the motherboard is faulty or if it is the bms or something else. I tried to detach the motherboard from the EUC to get a closer look at it and carelessly on my part hooked everything back on to test but the screws were loose on motherboard. When I turned on the wheel it shook violently and both fuses blew on the motherboard! Even if the motherboard screws were loose and cause the EUC to shake, I am not sure it should have caused the fuses to blow?

So now I’m worried it might be something to do with the batteries and/or the bms that is causing the batteries to draw out too much current. If that is the case, I might have a much more scary situation than a bad motherboard.

is there anyway I can test the current draw of the batteries without opening them up to test the bms? Can I use a multimeter to test the current flow from the batteries? Basically, I want to see if the batteries/bms is the culprit for the over current and not the motherboard. I’m very newb-level at this and it’s starting to scare me of a potential risk of fire.

Edited by BKW

41 minutes ago, BKW said:

it’s starting to scare me of a potential risk of fire.

Yeah, i'm sorry i cant be much more helpful and i'm not trying to scare you. I myself just usually air on the side of caution. You could plug the batteries back in with new fuses and put an amp clamp onto one wire of each pack to see how much amperage is leaving the pack when you power it up. You could also test the voltage of each pack to see if they are reading correctly. That's the best i got, I don't know much about KS wheels, sorry.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BKW said:

When I turned on the wheel it shook violently and both fuses blew on the motherboard! Even if the motherboard screws were loose and cause the EUC to shake, I am not sure it should have caused the fuses to blow?

Hmm..I guess if the wheel is struggling violently back and forth to try and balance it could be an awful lot of current to be switching. A bit like pendulums really stress a wheel. I know a pendulum is moving a lot more weight but it's also switching a lot slower. Not sure, I would have thought the wheel could handle the loose board situation but it would take someone with a bit more knowledge than I to hazard a guess.

39 minutes ago, BKW said:

is there anyway I can test the current draw of the batteries without opening them up to test the bms? Can I use a multimeter to test the current flow from the batteries?

Well you can, just serial into the power feed from the batts to the board but I would strongly advise against it. Most meters go to about 20A max...

I think it's just gonna have to be a new board :(

A battery and/or BMS can't send more than is being asked of it so I don't think thats your issue. I would prob keep the packs out of the house until the board was swopped and everything checked to run ok though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BKW said:

When I turned on the wheel it shook violently and both fuses blew on the motherboard!

It could possibly be loose board as mentioned, but open question; could connecting the motor wires back in the wrong order (position) lead to the motor fighting with itself / ending with overcurrent? (Doesn't change that there was an issue before this but just to mention / ask about the possibility).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BKW said:

I check the Kingsong app on my iphone and I see "Motherboard over-current. Ride with caution" (see picture). The apps taken in this picture read 51.28A. I saw it higher like 80A as well...

There's this really bizarre/rare bug we've seen only a couples, time where an over-current condition is associated with the light sensor. For testing, try covering this sensor, at the front, with a piece of tape.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Yeah, i'm sorry i cant be much more helpful and i'm not trying to scare you. I myself just usually air on the side of caution. You could plug the batteries back in with new fuses and put an amp clamp onto one wire of each pack to see how much amperage is leaving the pack when you power it up. You could also test the voltage of each pack to see if they are reading correctly. That's the best i got, I don't know much about KS wheels, sorry.

No, it's cool. I really appreciate you trying to diagnose and help with the situation. For now, I think what I'm going to do is buy some new fuses and after installing everything correctly, see if I'm still getting the over current warning from the motherboard. My initial hope was I could possibly unplug everything and re-plug everything and see if that somehow would fix the issue, but I blew the fuses upon reassembly, so likely still a motherboard issue at the end of day. Going to switch the fuses first though.

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

Hmm..I guess if the wheel is struggling violently back and forth to try and balance it could be an awful lot of current to be switching. A bit like pendulums really stress a wheel. I know a pendulum is moving a lot more weight but it's also switching a lot slower. Not sure, I would have thought the wheel could handle the loose board situation but it would take someone with a bit more knowledge than I to hazard a guess.

Well you can, just serial into the power feed from the batts to the board but I would strongly advise against it. Most meters go to about 20A max...

I think it's just gonna have to be a new board :(

A battery and/or BMS can't send more than is being asked of it so I don't think thats your issue. I would prob keep the packs out of the house until the board was swopped and everything checked to run ok though.

OK thanks. If the multi-meter only reads typically up to 20A then I guess that would be pointless to try.

You mentioned you don't think it's the battery and/or the BMS because it can't send more than what is asked of it, and I thought perhaps a faulty BMS would allow it to send more? Nonetheless, it makes me feel better to hear you think it might not be these things as I would much rather replace the motherboard than the battery and/or BMS.

Question: would it be a better idea to turn on the EUC while it's on its side so I don't get it trying to balance itself again? Or does it matter? Last time after I installed everything back to the loose motherboard I had it upright and it caused the shaking, etc.

6 hours ago, null said:

It could possibly be loose board as mentioned, but open question; could connecting the motor wires back in the wrong order (position) lead to the motor fighting with itself / ending with overcurrent? (Doesn't change that there was an issue before this but just to mention / ask about the possibility).

I would like someone else to answer this, but what I will say is that the 16X has the motor wire connections in such a way that the male/female ends make it nearly impossible to mix up when hooking to each other on either side (i.e., the wrong wires won't hook up because both are male, etc). As far as hooking back up on the motherboard, the wire connectors are of a certain size and will only fit onto their sized connections on the motherboard and are very obvious where they go (I also took picture before disassembly, which I'll triple-check next time). HOWEVER, it could be a possibility that I might have mixed something up, but the way the 16X is designed makes mixing these things up harder. Like I said, I would want someone else to correct me if I'm wrong...

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

There's this really bizarre/rare bug we've seen only a couples, time where an over-current condition is associated with the light sensor. For testing, try covering this sensor, at the front, with a piece of tape.  

This is very good advice, thank you.

And I say this because:

1) I wouldn't have guessed this to try

2) The light and light sensor in the front is the most exposed to water ingress since I didn't take any care to cover these up, and I also had the light acting funny at one point (wouldn't turn off on its own after press button). It could be maybe water got inside the sensor and/or light and done some weird things? I will definitely try the tape thing

Edited by BKW
  • Like 2

Also, I'm confused as to why the motherboard is reading an over current of more than 30A? Because wouldn't the fuses blow if the motherboard had a current higher than 30A since the fuses are rated at 30A? This makes me think it's just a faulty reading motherboard; something is wrong with he motherboard. What do you guys think? Would the motherboard still read high over current of 30+amps with fuses that only hold 30A?