2024 Begode Falcon - 14", Suspension, 100 V, 900 Wh, 1000 W Motor

techyiam

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

The Falcon is already 55 lbs. If a bit more weight can be accommodated, maybe an S16 Pro a consideration?

Unfortunately not. I don't think that it would fit the corner behind my front door due to its thickness. Plus it is on the heavy side for my vacation appartment where I have narrow stairs to climb.

But mostly, I really hate the design with all these plastic parts attached. And over all, I just don't want their suspension system with the slider full of small wheels. It probably makes sense to other people but not at all to me. I strongly prefer simple and straightforward designs such as the Falcon's suspension.

Edited by Tokumeino
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tokumeino said:

Unfortunately not. I don't think that it would fit the corner behind my front door due to its thickness. Plus it is on the heavy side for my vacation appartment where I have narrow stairs to climb.

But mostly, I really hate the design with all these plastic parts attached. And over all, I just don't want their suspension system with the slider full of small wheels. It probably makes sense to other people but not at all to me. I strongly prefer simple and straightforward designs such as the Falcon's suspension.

Well the falcon is technically wider than s16. If you look at the dimensions 9.5 inches vs 9 inches. Which i think must be from the pads

I should be getting my falcon soon the boat should be docking this week lol

1 hour ago, Esash said:

Are there any suspension wheels with 2.5" tires? Or even 2.75"? I'll look up the S18 and V11, maybe one of those.

Edit: Nope, both 3" tires. Hmmm.

3" = Most standard M/C tire size. I see most new wheels will come with 3" tires. The user can always buy thinner tire, if he chooses so. Better have bigger tire clearance, than not having any clearance. As you can't mount bigger tire, but you can mount smaller tire..

My 18xl having 2.5" clearance - i can't mount any M/C tires at all. Only tire that somewhat fit - K66, which i still needed to cut sides..

3" is perfect size for these bigger wheels.. Same time perfect for smaller diameter wheels, as tire itself makes the wheel diameter much bigger, which is great.

Also while riding only tire center touches the ground.. Especially if one is riding very high psi. Sides don't touch the ground at all.. (Only while turning.) Be 2" or 3" doesn't matter. Contact patch is almost the same while riding on solid, hard ground. Go ride true mud or puddle on asphalt and check tire pattern left behind.

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

It’s basically an A2 / MCM5 v2 with a little extra sauce and suspension. 

with that said, it’s actually easier to carry than a 37 lb MCM5 v2. How? There are two grab points on the Falcon (three, if you count the kickstand assembly), making it that much easier to lift than one-handing an MCM5 or A2. Also, the MCM5 v2 handle doesn’t open on both sides making it a fingertip carrying affair rather than the leverage of both arms. 

it is still grossly overpriced for what it is, it just fit my use case very nicely to where I just splurged on a wheel I would use every day. 

I just bought an MCM 5 in part due to your lament that the Falcon was just an MCM 5 with suspension.

Glad you're warming up to the Falcon though.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

with that said, it’s actually easier to carry than a 37 lb MCM5 v2. How? There are two grab points on the Falcon (three, if you count the kickstand assembly), making it that much easier to lift than one-handing an MCM5 or A2. Also, the MCM5 v2 handle doesn’t open on both sides making it a fingertip carrying affair rather than the leverage of both arms. 

The MCM5 v1 had the bizarre 1-sided handle opening.
The MCM5 v2 updated the shell to have 2-sided handle openings.
That said, the full body-width handle of the MCM5-series still forces your hand into more of a finger grip, rather than a comfortable palm grip like on the V8-series.

For my use-cases, a one-handed carry has more daily utility than a two-handed carry, as it enables the following:

• Use your phone
  • Open doors
  • Push elevator buttons
  • Carry another item
  • Carry the wheel without it impeding natural leg stride or getting your pants dirty
  • Quicker transition from carrying to riding

Someone needs to figure out how to combine 50kph performance with V8-ergonomics in a 35lb package.
For me, the MCM5 v2 is the closest wheel so far, although I never had the opportunity to try a Tesla v2 which had a better carry handle.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Someone needs to figure out how to combine 50kph performance with V8-ergonomics in a 35lb package.

It will be closer to 50lbs sadly.. Maybe 45lbs, if no suspension sub 1000wh and 14" fat tire with all plastic build. (But yes - i would very much love 35lbs or even 40lbs..)

I wish every wheel under 60lbs had Kingsong/Inmotion older models handles.. But solid firm built in case handle, that won't break off, or move. And easy to access lift button. For example you can press it with thumb when grabbing the carry handle. Or handle that automatically kills motor when lifted..

Carrying wheel by two hands are simply stupid, especially these smaller ones. It's like you are logging something heavy in front of you.. While with one hand you can simply carry it like a grocery bag. (Scenario example: Carrying something heavy in front of you for 2-3 flights of stairs. OR carrying it by side like grocery bag.. Which one is better? I'll take grocery bag every day.)

Edited by Funky

31 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

The MCM5 v1 had the bizarre 1-sided handle opening.
The MCM5 v2 updated the shell to have 2-sided handle openings.
That said, the full body-width handle of the MCM5-series still forces your hand into more of a finger grip, rather than a comfortable palm grip like on the V8-series.

For my use-cases, a one-handed carry has more daily utility than a two-handed carry, as it enables the following:

• Use your phone
  • Open doors
  • Push elevator buttons
  • Carry another item
  • Carry the wheel without it impeding natural leg stride or getting your pants dirty
  • Quicker transition from carrying to riding

For me, the MCM5 v2 is the closest wheel so far, although I never had the opportunity to try a Tesla v2 which had a better carry handle.

I had an MCM5 v2, the handle wasn’t open all the way through; plus the fact you are forced to use the fingertip grip anyway since the lift switch was in there. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I had an MCM5 v2, the handle wasn’t open all the way through; plus the fact you are forced to use the fingertip grip anyway since the lift switch was in there. 

Gotway must have updated the shell between batches because my MCM5 v2 came with the handle holes on both sides of the shell.

The finger tip activation of the lift switch definitely isn't ideal. 

I don't think a lift switch is even needed if you have an ergonomically placed, low latency power button on the handle.

32 minutes ago, Funky said:

It will be closer to 50lbs sadly.. Maybe 45lbs, if no suspension sub 1000wh and 14" fat tire with all plastic build. (But yes - i would very much love 35lbs or even 40lbs..)

I believe 35 lbs is theoretically possible.
Starting with the 37 lbs MCM5, replace the battery pack with a lighter 20S1P Molicel P50B pack.
Remove lights, LEDs, speakers, USB port, lift switch (replaced by power button).
Replace pedals with lightweight nylon pedals.
Use magnesium alloy on the pedal hangers and rim.
Reduce wasted shell space/material.

Or if you want to go extreme, use the motor covers as the shell, with the pedals mounted directly, a la iPS i5.

-----

Sorry for derailing the Falcon thread.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The shell on the MCM5v2 is fragile and not durable.

The brackets that hold the handle rods to the inner shell are crap (like the rest of the plastics) and break easily. I used double-sided stick tape to hold the handle extension rods in place and have 3-D printed replacement brackets. The posts that are molded onto the inner shells that the brackets mount to break easily. The tabs on the outer shell covers break off easily.

The inner shells disintegrate easily -I have a collection of dozens of plastic fragments from broken supports or fins that will rattle around inside the shell if not periodically cleaned out.

The countless tiny screws that hold the wheel together are easy to lose.

The screws that hold the inner shells are inadequate and are too small - they can break off the receiving hole if over-torqued - which is easy to do.

Edited by litewave

41 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Gotway must have updated the shell between batches because my MCM5 v2 came with the handle holes on both sides of the shell.

It's more likely that your reseller just put two of the same outside shell covers on the wheel.

31 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

I believe 35 lbs is theoretically possible.
Starting with the 37 lbs MCM5, replace the battery pack with a lighter 20S1P Molicel P50B pack.
Remove lights, LEDs, speakers, USB port, lift switch (replaced by power button).
Replace pedals with lightweight nylon pedals.
Use magnesium alloy on the pedal hangers and rim.
Reduce wasted shell space/material.

Or if you want to go extreme, use the motor covers as the shell, with the pedals mounted directly, a la iPS i5.

-----

Sorry for derailing the Falcon thread.

I just want centered carry handle. Good strong trolley handle and strong axle mostly.. Don't care about speed/range or what ever nonsense the big wheels use.

Simple last mileage wheel to grab and go. Falcon would have been ideal - if only they have welded a centered carry bar in middle of that trolley bars.. (I plan do that, if i buy it..) And was bit lighter.

Edited by Funky

Modded my trolley latch area to make it more secure & reliable….. It sucks when you go to lift this wheel by the front & rear “handles” and the trolly deploys by slipping off the latch. I fixed this by milling out a notch .010” deep at the point of touch with the end mill and also at a slight angle closely matching the underside of the latch face angle.

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Standard4130 said:

Modded my trolley latch area to make it more secure & reliable….. It sucks when you go to lift this wheel by the front & rear “handles” and the trolly deploys by slipping off the latch. I fixed this by milling out a notch .010” deep at the point of touch with the end mill and also at a slight angle closely matching the underside of the latch face angle.

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

You need to tighten the six screws up front that secure the trolley to the wheel. 

ever since I did that, haven’t had any issues with the rear handle coming off the clip. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Standard4130 said:

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

I would have put simple rubber band over the latch.. That would hold latch unto the "orange" frame. (The band bold sit on the orange frame and go over the latch.)

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the BMS, I know that it is not “smart”. But “smart” means little to me. I guess that it cannot monitor individual serie of cells. But not exposing voltages or allowing tweaks doesn't mean that it doesn't operate safely under the hood. So what about basic dumb features ?

1 - Does it permit active or only passive cell balancing ? (under the hood, no need to expose voltages)

2 - What are the main present and missing safety features ?

By safety features, I mean funtionalities such as monitoring each pack separately and compare voltages so as to alert for an eventual dead cell after a full charge ; or using battery temperature sensors. That's not "smart" but nevertheless basic security must haves.

Edited by Tokumeino

14 hours ago, Standard4130 said:

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

FYI -  If you ride in in rain and overall moisture (morning mist, etc..) Watch out if that bare metal doesn't start to react..

What metal is that orange trolley made out of anyways? Aluminium? Or..? Does it attract magnet? 

Same time i have question for anyone reading this.. Rim is made out of regular steel right? It isn't aluminium? If paint job gets damage - it can start rusting?

Edited by Funky

I was thinking about wiring a new lift switch onto the top cover of the EUC. Was thinking of a larger latching push button switch or mechanical flip switch for better tactile sensation and easier one handed operation than the current tiny button.

However, the original lift switch and power button have a bunch of silicone caulked over the connections so I can’t really tell how they’re wired or how easy it would be to do this. 

Anyone have any insights?