My Inmotion V14 Adventure Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

7 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Shouldn't Inmotion just send him another demo wheel which already has been verified by them that it isn't defective.

I would if it was my company……..😔

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Also, why is Marty fixing a bad demo wheel. 

Shouldn't Inmotion just send him another demo wheel which already has been verified by them that it isn't defective. 

Is this really even a demo wheel? Ewheels listed that the first batch is supposed to ship out mid-November (right now). I doubt they would send a demo to a reviewer now because it would have a higher probability to experience issues.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MandatoryFun said:

Is this really even a demo wheel? Ewheels listed that the first batch is supposed to ship out mid-November (right now). I doubt they would send a demo to a reviewer now because it would have a higher probability to experience issues.

Then we have a bigger problem.

If this is indeed Batch 1, then there is potentially a lot to worry about, especially for those who pre-ordered them. Without this resolved, how can Jason send batch 1 out?

Inmotion doesn't know what is wrong, and is throwing parts at the problem, one at a time from China, by the trial and error approach?

I have read on Liam's Telegram posts in which he tells his readers whether Begode was going to send him a demo wheel or not, for example.

I don't understand the ordering or timing of this "promo" wheel.

Denis Hagov and Eevees got their V14's only recently.

So, in other words, no dealer / distributor got demo wheels? They are all batch 1 wheels. Then where are demo wheels for the international market.

This is bad for those who ordered batch 1.

What a big contrast to what Bob Yan did with the V13.

It looks like then, only Jack got a demo wheel, if that. He is an insider in China. And he did only a "quick look", and hasn't done a follow up.  I am not even sure that could be considered a demo wheel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Fairly certain ewheels sent him the wheel. And I'm fairly certain it wasn't under the Instruction of Inmotion to send him one.

You are correct

4 hours ago, MandatoryFun said:

Mine is most certainly not a "demo" unit, but an early production one

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Dear god, I'm glad it didn't work for you. I do hope you are planning on removing that raptor controller and buying yourself some thermal paste and properly coating it.

There's really no issue in reusing the thermal paste. That's what we do with the S22 every time the sliders need work. There was plenty of paste remaining inside the compartment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's really no issue in reusing the thermal paste. That's what we do with the S22 every time the sliders need work. There was plenty of paste remaining inside the compartment.

It's ridiculous that you are saying that, I'm glad you don't work for NASA. It's almost like you purposely destroy Inmotion wheels when you get them. Even my wife who knows nothing about thermal paste was like WTF is he doing. If it were me i wouldn't send you another and god help anyone else who gets that wheel after you. Just because you have been doing something for 30 years, doesn't mean you have been doing it right.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
afterthought
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Based on another test that I concluded tonight, the fault is in the motor. The controller never had a problem so I would say your statement #3 is inaccurate.

Inmotion has updated the firmware to reduce it's susceptibility of burning up a control board due to spurious hall sensor inputs. That's a positive output from my failure.

They have decided to directly send me a new V14 (not from Jason) and interestingly, they want me to send the broken V14 back to them. Haven't seen that happen before (due to costs no doubt). I see that as a good sign that they want to understand what exactly failed in the motor and if it could affect other production units.

Thank you for updating the status of the original Raptor controller. It is good to know. Earlier, I could only go by your diagnosis stated in your previous video below (time-stamped). But to be sure, it would have been good to put the original controller in a good machine to verify.

Good news that Inmotion has updated the firmware to protect the controller should it receives bad hall sensor signals.

In other industries, such as in the automotive, or motorcycle sectors, manufacturers often request bad units back for detail examination. This is especially important when such failures are found early on in the production cycle. In mass production, it is prudent to resolve issues early on to reduce the number of bad units getting into the field. Fighting fires in the field is both frustrating for the customers and costly for the manufacturers.

Additionally, this action taken by Inmotion gives early adopters and potential customers more of a piece of mind in the product since the manufacturer is seen diligently wanting to determine whether the bad demo unit failure was an isolated incident, and if not, the source of the fault determined and resolved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Mine is most certainly not a "demo" unit, but an early production one

This confirms then that there were no demo V14 units for the North American, and European markets, since none was posted.

By looking at the timing of each respective video release dates, it looks like Denis Hagov, Eevees, and you got an early batch wheel. 

This is contrary to how the V13 was tested and promoted prior to first the production batch.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, techyiam said:

This confirms then there were no demo V14 units for the North American, and European markets, since none was posted.

By looking at the timing of each respective video release dates, it looks like Denis Hagov, Eevees, and you got an early batch wheel. 

This is contrary to how the V13 was tested and promoted prior to first the production batch.

It also calls into question the whole InMotion V14 Adventure "be an early tester" program / form they posted. I realize there was a kind of "NDA" on these wheels for the people who allegedly got an early unit, but did we ever hear of anyone actually getting one of these demo/early test wheels? Is there anyone in the EUC community that has confirmed that they received a demo wheel from this program? At this point, any "NDA" from a demo wheel should be lifted and so we would have heard by now if anyone in NA/EU had a test/beta wheel.

Edited by eezo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, goodsignal said:

I don't think it's as dire as you're making it out to be. Another search finds this,

image.thumb.png.c2fb11ad4fe7eb4030b22f16c01f73c3.png

I think the BEST practice is to have new paste on hand and use it. But I can see it being okay to reuse in cases like this for the following reasons:

• Most of us have this latent thermal paste knowledge from experience with installing CPU's. This is not a CPU. We're not dealing with CPU temperatures, nor the delicate nature of a lone ceramic chip. There are likely CPU chips in the case that have their own thermal bridges. So this would be the secondary thermal bridge.
  • That surface area is huge. Any air pockets are likely to not matter, comparatively.
  • That paste is clearly not old, or dried up. It looks to be of good quality and/or new enough to still have all of its thermal properties.
  • The paste layer looks really thick, which goes against the tight-fitting theory where the the paste is merely to fill the micro-crevices between two tightly adjoining heat-conductive surfaces. If the paste is that thick, there's no tight fit and heat transfer is mediocre anyway. Again lots of surface area provides a lot of temperature margin and makes perfection not matter so much.

If I didn't have extra paste to add, and I wasn't concerned about doing it perfectly, I'd probably just take a few extra minutes to smear it on a little more thoroughly than Marty appeared to do. Making sure there's no 'dry' metal is probably good enough in this case. I'd also give the board a little massaging and shifting before fastening to give it a bit more chance to smear together.

Source

Thank you.

What everyone seems to be focusing on is the little bit that I smeared on the control board. The vast amount of thermal paste was still on the bottom surface of the control board chamber.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Thank you for updating the status of the original Raptor controller. It is good to know. Earlier, I could only go by your diagnosis stated in your previous video below (time-stamped). But to be sure, it would have been good to put the original controller in a good machine to verify.

Good news that Inmotion has updated the firmware to protect the controller should it receives bad hall sensor signals.

In other industries, such as in the automotive, or motorcycle sectors, manufacturers often request bad units back for detail examination. This is especially important when such failures are found early on in the production cycle. In mass production, it is prudent to resolve issues early on to reduce the number of bad units getting into the field. Fighting fires in the field is both frustrating for the customers and costly for the manufacturers.

Additionally, this action taken by Inmotion gives early adopters and potential customers more of a piece of mind in the product since the manufacturer is seen diligently wanting to determine whether the bad demo unit failure was an isolated incident, and if not, the source of the fault determined and resolved.

The motor was locked up (extreme resistance to movement) which indicates fused MOSFET's on the control board. It would have been a waste of time to put the controller in a "good machine", assuming that I had extra V14's to utilize :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, a lot of vitriol in this post. Have a good day :) 

I'm sorry you feel that way. My assertiveness was deliberate in hopes that you would come to your senses and realize the potential for massive air gaps under that controller especially since you pasted it onto the new controller in just a few thick blotches. There certainly isn't enough downward force to spread that stuff around evenly where it needs to be. I am not riding the wheel, so i am not concerned with myself getting hurt. However you just got over a broken ankle and not taking the time to correctly coat the new controller puts you and anyone who rides it in jeopardy of doing worse since it will probably burn out under a high load situation if it's going to. Obviously, you feel like you know better than the Inmotion engineers and there is no getting through to you. So good luck and have a nice day as well.:D

• Like 1