KS S16 "Pro"

Rawnei

So the same size battery and still the same 84V but they managed to to get free spin from 70km to 85km. As impressive as that sounds on paper we have to remember that it was achieved by opening the tap on your battery pack to let more current out faster. New motor with more current might give the wheel more punch, but I wonder how much playing can you do before you out of battery.

I was wondering how they gaining top speed AND increasing the torque to claim better climbing. 

21 minutes ago, Eucner said:

If spec number are right, the Pro version is going to have 12% less torque.

Can you share how you calculate this? 

1 minute ago, Drunkard said:

Can you share how you calculate this? 

From relative motor powers and free spin speeds.

3 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

I was wondering how they gaining top speed AND increasing the torque to claim better climbing. 

48 degrees corresponds friction coefficient of 1.11. They must have also updated the tire to something special. Believe or not.

14 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@FunkyThey did renew it. It's called the S19. :D
C'mon...you know you want it.

:barf::pooping::furious::efeff54d4a:

Spoiler

I would take Mten4 over it. And i'm big/heavy/strong guy. I just hate unneeded weight... That all these new wheels have. (Or more correctly - all of them are way to fast/powerful..)

Edited by Funky

On 10/19/2023 at 8:07 AM, Eucner said:

If spec number are right, the Pro version is going to have 12% less torque.

Well it says (and an Aussie dealer quoted) the Pro can climb steeper inclines-- specifically a function of torque no?

30 minutes ago, zaft said:

Well it says (and an Aussie dealer quoted) the Pro can climb steeper inclines-- specifically a function of torque no?

Yes, the Pro specs are really inconsistent. See also my previous post about traction. It would have unrealistic high friction coefficient.

I'm not sure how you calculate that, beyond my math skills! I would imagine simply airing down the tire would result in more friction, for example it could be the same tire but 10 psi less...

I do wonder why more EUC's aren't tubeless, because I have the mten4's tubeless tire at 16psi and it's basically a perfect compromise for that wheel.

I must admit I'm getting bored of all these short teaser videos. I also can't work out which video is showing the normal version of the wheel and which is really the pro version. I think I'll stop watching more videos on the wheel until it's in the hands of an independent reviewer with a more generous body weight. Is the price of the Pro version still $1?99 or is it closer to $??99? 

14 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

and what is the formula for the calculation?

P = T · 2·π·n,

- Both wheels have same tire size so free spin speed can be used as angular speed in comparison.

- Both wheels have max power at the same point of speed range, usually half way.

Tpro / Tn-pro = (3000 · 70) / (2800 · 85) = 0,88 => Pro has 12% less torque.

When KS is at the same time claiming better hill climbing ability for Pro model, we can see these numbers not matching. Smells like marketing.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

As I can see the motor has a bigger nominal power in pro, batteries are also ready to output more current than in no pro model…  I wonder if it will be capable to safely reach 50 km/h speed with a 90 Kg (200 lbs) rider on top. Otherwise I have no option to upgrade my KS18XL cause new wheel will not give me a substantial power increase besides a more bulky and heavier mass. S19 because of pads in not for me so the only light, weather proof wheel would be inmotion V12 HS. I really do not feel to enter my work with humongous 40 kg wheel in both hands…. So the s16 pro is my only hope for low mass compact and fast suspension wheel.

2 minutes ago, rumpel said:

As I can see the motor has a bigger nominal power in pro, batteries are also ready to output more current than in no pro model…  I wonder if it will be capable to safely reach 50 km/h speed with a 90 Kg (200 lbs) rider on top. Otherwise I have no option to upgrade my KS18XL cause new wheel will not give me a substantial power increase besides a more bulky and heavier mass. S19 because of pads in not for me so the only light, weather proof wheel would be inmotion V12 HS. I really do not feel to enter my work with humongous 40 kg wheel in both hands…. So the s16 pro is my only hope for low mass compact and fast suspension wheel.

280lbs rider here on 18xl. Going 45km/h not a problem.. Doh most times i go around 40km/h. Under 40km/h when battery drops under 50%.

I think S16 can easily go 50km/h.. As it has more powerful motor/battery.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:10 PM, Funky said:

280lbs rider here on 18xl. Going 45km/h not a problem.. Doh most times i go around 40km/h. Under 40km/h when battery drops under 50%.

I think S16 can easily go 50km/h.. As it has more powerful motor/battery.

You mean you keep 45 km/h for a longer distance instead just a short pik of speed ? I did reached that speed on my 18 xl but I do not keep it and avoid such riding because of keeping a safety margin. To be able to go with the car speed it should be able to maintain around 50 km/h for a 500 meter distance. I doubt that 84 V wheel can do it…

14 minutes ago, rumpel said:

You mean you keep 45 km/h for a longer distance instead just a short pik of speed ? I did reached that speed on my 18 xl but I do not keep it and avoid such riding because of keeping a safety margin. To be able to go with the car speed it should be able to maintain around 50 km/h for a 500 meter distance. I doubt that 84 V wheel can do it…

My safety margin never drop lover than 20%.. With full battery it stays around 28%. And yes i go for longer distances. (I got flat/straight/empty sidewalks..)

50km/h is max speed for 18xl. I would never ride any EUC at it's max speed.... Firstly as battery drops lower - that 50km/h speed is gone pretty fast.. And as you ride longer distance the max speed goes lower even more. No point talking about wheels max speed in first place, because they lose said max speed pretty fast. (That's why i will never ride any wheel at it's rated max speed.)

Those "test" i did when i was going for "fun" rides. When i geared up and things like that. On daily commute i'm staying around 25-30km/h. So i have plenty of safety margin, as i don't gear up..

BIG TIP > If you wanna go 50km/h get something bigger than 18xl. Or one day you may crash.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

My safety margin never drop lover than 20%.. With full battery it stays around 28%. And yes i go for longer distances. (I got flat/straight/empty sidewalks..)

50km/h is max speed for 18xl. I would never ride any EUC at it's max speed.... Firstly as battery drops lower - that 50km/h speed is gone pretty fast.. And as you ride longer distance the max speed goes lower even more. No point talking about wheels max speed in first place, because they lose said max speed pretty fast. (That's why i will never ride any wheel at it's rated max speed.)

Those "test" i did when i was going for "fun" rides. When i geared up and things like that. On daily commute i'm staying around 25-30km/h. So i have plenty of safety margin, as i don't gear up..

BIG TIP > If you wanna go 50km/h get something bigger than 18xl. Or one day you may crash.

Yes I probably need something faster and stronger than 18 xl. My commuting consist of short distances when I need to go on a street because of the lack of bike lane and pavement. I was thinking about a wheel with suspension but I assume for me will be the best something like V12, Extreme Bull Commander, Veteran Sherman….No need for suspension because I ride on a bended knees and my legs are working fine and even after hard off-road I do not  feel any discomfort.

• Like 1