First City Law (in America anyways)

MetricUSA

Santa Fe past the first law on eucs... That I know of... 

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/rules-for-motorized-unicycle-set-into-santa-fe-city-code/article_eab9dcb4-469d-11ee-a183-638603c11974.html

https://santafenm.gov/media/ordinances_resolutions/Defining_Electric_Unicycles_(For_Signature)(1).pdf
12-1-86.5 UNICYLE. “Unicycle” means
A. Every device propelled by human power, upon which any person may ride, having
one wheel, pedals, and a saddle; and
B. Every device upon which a person may ride that is equipped with one wheel and a
motor of no more than seven hundred fifty (750) watts and that has any of the
following additional characteristics, or combination thereof: stationary foot plates,
pedals, a saddle, handlebars. These devices are categorized into two classes:
(1) Class 1 electric unicycles are electric unicycles equipped with a motor
that may or may not provide pedal assistance and may reach the speed of up to
twenty miles per hour (20 mph).
(2) Class 2 electric unicycles are electric unicycles equipped with a motor
that may or may not provide pedal assistance and may reach the speed of up to
twenty-eight miles per hour (28 mph).
C. Devices with motors outputting more than 750 watts or that can achieve a
maximum speed of more than 28 mph are motor vehicles.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(added quote in lieu of broken news webpage)

2 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

750w limit lol, but yeah generally thinking of them as ebikes makes sense. 

I'd be fine with licensing mine if needed, or requiring a motorcycle endorsement. But I'm not riding a 750w version. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, corn said:

750w limit

Can you clarify?

I read that as anything over 750w / 28mph would be defined as a motor vehicle (same as a motorcycle) and subject to that ruleset, anything less would be akin to an e-bike.

As long as they are not forbidding any wheel over 750 watt motor that's fine - the bigger ones should be classed as motor vehicles, and I also wouldn't object to getting insured / licensed to use mine if it meant I had legal use of roads and cycleways afterwards. 10 mph on pavements seems very reasonable too. Alas, can't see our hopeless government doing anything similar anytime soon.

Edited by Cerbera

29 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

As long as they are not forbidding any wheel over 750 watt motor that's fine - the bigger ones should be classed as motor vehicles

Maybe, legally they are.

I believe federally, there are no regulations for electric wheels. No one will be able to get a VIN or whatever that is needed to register their electric wheel. Or buy motor vehicle insurance for them. So if anyone rides one on a public road, this person can be ticketed for operating a motor vehicle without registration and insurance. The same penalty as if you were driving an illegal 4 wheeled motor vehicle. And what about a license to operate. However, in reality, the police may not do that, depending on what the city wants to do.

• Like 1

Ann Arbor has an example of all-inclusive PMD code that covers EUC. A good example for other places to reference! 

http://a2gov.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=9762665&GUID=045BE82E-DD58-4B47-91C6-CBF76383729E

(15) Personal mobility vehicle includes: Any vehicle intended to carry no more than two persons abreast, that is not a motor vehicle or trailer required to be licensed or registered by the state of Michigan, and that is propelled either by the power of a person riding or by the power of a person riding in combination with a single or multiple electric motors.

(1) A person operating a personal mobility vehicle on a sidewalk or a pedestrian crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian.

(2) A person shall not operate a personal mobility vehicle if prohibited by a traffic control device or order.

(3) A person operating a personal mobility vehicle upon a sidewalk or a pedestrian crosswalk has the same rights and responsibilities applicable to a pedestrian using that sidewalk or crosswalk (Per MVC 257.660c).

(4) A person operating a personal mobility vehicle on a sidewalk shall not operate in a careless or negligent manner likely to endanger any persons or property.

(12) A person operating a personal mobility device, shall not carry any article that impairs or prevents the person’s control of the vehicle.

(13) A personal mobility vehicle shall not be operated in such a manner that exceeds the number of persons for which it was designed.

(14) A person riding a personal mobility vehicle on a street or highway shall be granted all of the rights, and shall be subject to all of the duties, applicable to the driver of a vehicle under this code and state law.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 11:51 AM, Circuitmage said:

So confusing. It does not state they would be classified as motorcycles.

It says they would be classified as "motor vehicles".

What's next? Are they going to require emissions checks? LOL

It would classify as a motor vehicle and we would then be riding an unregistered motor vehicle

I wish the motor wattage part wasn't in the law, as we need higher watts to actually sustain that speed, like the 2200W 18XL that tiltsback at 31. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like it did for that guy in Spain who had the cops freespin his wheel in the air and fine him. I would hate to have a wheel that could only carry me 20-25mph be freespinned, show 35-40, and then get a massive fine

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2023 at 9:52 PM, MetricUSA said:

Santa Fe city code

🤨

https://library.municode.com/nm/santa_fe/ordinances/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=1245723

"

“Unicycle” means

20 (1) Every device propelled by human power, upon which any person may ride,

21 having one wheel, pedals, and a saddle; and

22 (2) Every device upon which a person may ride that is equipped with one wheel

23 and a motor of no more than seven hundred fifty (750) watts that has a maximum

24 speed of no more than twenty-eight (28) miles per hour

C. Devices with motors outputting more than 750 watts or that can achieve a
maximum speed of more than 28 mph are motor vehicles.

Basically the 750W is just humbug to get them classified as motor vehicles.

In essence that means you need registration? What are the motor vehicle laws in Santa Fe.

yeah, this will be a domino effect unless we get out in front, which is what i plan to do here. 

it's just too easy for asst county attys to just copy and paste if the issue ever comes up. like a guy on a wheel runs over a child. that would be huge news for msm.