Going on holiday, leaving wheel alone in the house

I dont think that disconnecting the batteries does any difference unless you remove the batteries completely from the wheel, and stores them somewhere else in a safe place (outside the house)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's weird. I never really worry about my KS16S but there's always that nagging doubt on the Begode. I don't really have a cheap place to put it. I have a simple choice between my home and the garage which contains all my toys. I can't just leave it outside as it's both catching the sun and rain. However ...

I've literally just this moment found this cheap storage box on Amazon, it's a plastic waterproof garden box with lid and I think the Nikola will (just) fit inside. I figure I can put the box somewhere shady in the garden then put the Nikola in at an angle. I might need to deflate the tyres. Not sure if I'll have to put ratchet straps around the outside to support the sides but I  can always lean it against a wall. It's not fireproof but I can almost shrug if it does go up in the garden (the wife will obviously kill me though). It's only for holidays when I'm not around but it might get rid of the fear factor.

Keter City Outdoor Storage Box Garden Furniture 57.8 x 44 x 55 cm - Graphite Grey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I figure I can put the box somewhere shady in the garden

Be careful about morning dew!

but I  can always lean it against a wall.

Without thermal insulation? Some burn quite well.

Maybe burry the batteries in a metal casing in the garden ;)

6 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Be careful about morning dew!

The case is almost airtight but I guess I could put a cloth (cup of rice, sachet of desiccants) on the bottom to soak up anything.

8 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Without thermal insulation? Some burn quite well.

It will be completely in the shade. Do I need to do more than that?

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Maybe burry the batteries in a metal casing in the garden ;)

I'm hoping you're kidding here but this would go against the whole usability thing of the wheel.

My biggest worry is actually lifting the wheel into the box - it would be a bummer to pull your back just to avoid the tiny potential of a fire. Unfortunately my wife can go on and on over the smallest of things. I think if there was a house fire then she'd have to go with it, if only for my own sanity ;)

sachet of desiccants

A couple of these could hopefully do it? But i have no experience with such.

It will be completely in the shade. Do I need to do more than that?

I meant an eventual thermal insulation of a wall could burn quite well!

kidding

Got me ;)

My biggest worry is actually lifting the wheel into the box

Maybe you find a box with something doorlike on a side?

• Like 1

case is almost airtight

You know that almost airtight could make eventually the box explode. You saw the videos of the firesak in action?

... and plastic is additional fuel in case...

Unfortunately my wife can go on and on over the smallest of things.

To appease the wife, a ceramic cloth to wrap the wheel in might be a good compromise. Won't stop a fire but may help contain one.

These are trade prices I think but gives you an idea..

https://shop.vitcas.com/products/insulation-materials/ceramic-fibre-insulations.html

Or you could buy one of those steel electrical cabinets.. That are IP66/68 rated. If it's placed outside.. No problem when it "blows" up. Doh having the IP66/68 rating - there will be no chance of bugs getting into the wheel. Worst thing that can happen is, when wheel dies because of a ant.

Also those cabinets have 1/2 keys.. So you can lock it. :D There are many different sizes of the boxes. And they cost 100-200$

Also having door at front - no danger of pulling back. :) You could even add your own rolling stand. :thumbup:

I used said box in my DIY fire proof storage. Also here is the link to the box: https://www.se.com/ww/en/product/NSYCRN86300P/spacial-crn-plain-door-with-mount-plate-h800xw600xd300-ip66-ik10-ral7035-/ Check out how many different sizes they have.

Most of big hardware/home improvement stores should have them in stock.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Guys, I'm just trying to appease the wife, not construct Fort Knox!

I'm fairly sure the chances of anything happening is miniscule but if the wife is happy and house doesn't burn down then, as far as I'm concerned, it's a win. If putting the wheel in the box doesn't damage the wheel then it's a double win. If the worst happens and the box explodes into a fireball then my kids can just sort out the mess while we're away.

• Like 1

In that case get simple big plastic box with a closing lid..

Place lid upside down on ground. Place EUC stand on the upside down lid. Place EUC on the stand and then simply place the empty box over the EUC and fasten it to the upside down lid.

(The box are sitting upside down.) You don't need to lift euc in the box every time.. I bet the box will be lighter to lift.

• Like 1

Good idea regards having the box upside down. The garden box I linked to above is arriving tomorrow so I'll see if I can do that. I probably won't be able to as I'll need to have the wheel at an angle to fit in the box (it's a very close fit). I suppose I could build the box around the wheel. Better yet I could ask my elder son just to do the heavy lifting.

OK, I've just built my holiday EUC garage. It seems fairly well built and waterproof and I've put it in a shady spot. I'll probably leave a few bricks on top to keep the lid down if the wind really starts to blow. They'll also help to shield it from the sun.

image.jpeg.7f79d204df6b7f137488776fdc36ec4b.jpeg

The EUC just fits inside, on it's side, at an angle. I've also put a thermometer thing in there just to record the min and max temps. I guess it will be obvious if any rain gets in (it's going to rain tomorrow) or if it does catch fire ;) 

image.jpeg.ecff6861b8dc4ce04716fa0ba12764f5.jpeg

Lets see how it goes. 

• Like 2

Here is a different answer... tell the wife to shut up and stop talking nonsense. You said it yourself the chance of something happening is miniscule. If you keep entertaining the nonsense it is never going to stop. Sometime something somewhere will happens and if she throws a fit of "I told you so" well .... time for a new wife (keep the wheels) ... LOL. 

Disclaimer: I'm 50+ and never had one of those nonsense generating biological units ... LOL.

1 hour ago, Rodo said:

Disclaimer: I'm 50+ and never had one of those nonsense generating biological units ... LOL.

I kind of guessed that well before the end of the first paragraph ;) 

It's not so bad being married though, there are certainly side benefits and I'm pretty much allowed to do as I please as long as I don't endanger the rest of the family.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give a review of my little "EUC Garage". I think it worked well. It was outside in the shade and the temp internally ranged between 13C (55F) and 23C (73F). It was also completely watertight. It also didn't upset the wife.

If you do have a nagging doubt about leaving your EUC in the house while you're away on holiday and you have somewhere outside in the shade then I think it works well. I'll move my wheel back inside soon and the wife can use the box for gardening things until the next holiday. I thought it was great value for the money.

• Like 1