V13 driver board disconnect.

Finn Bjerke

After fixing a noisy suspension using the hidden screws next to pistons the wheel was perfect. Then I took power off now in order to xharge wheel, the display is now dead, no frontlight and app says, driver board error.

What can I do? Screenshot_20230703_224531_INMOTION.thumb.jpg.fed3473279cd868caa048380d047dea8.jpg

Edited by Finn Bjerke

After 2 hours or so the v13 connects, charges and is back to normal.... 

1. adjust noisy suspension

2. Charging and wheel goes bonkers

3. After 2 hours wheel is normal... 

Thx for good info ppl. Im EUC addicted so I have to have several wheels, so far V11 and Sherman S are much more stable than KS -s22 and Inmotion V13.  V13 is totally overpriced but its fast as h***. Useless for off road imho...

On 7/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I'm using mine off road with the pilot street 2 tire on it....:P

So you take a street wheel and replace the knobby to a street tire to use it off-road? :lol:

Just kidding, I’m sure it works great for paths and such. Just maybe not the best for the most technical spots.

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

So you take a street wheel and replace the knobby to a street tire to use it off-road?

Not the smartest decision?...:D I really didn't like the original tire and had planned to get a different knobby, however i haven't yet and the street tire does surprisingly well off road considering. But yes, i will be getting a better tire for off road use. Mud is like ice with this tire on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 10:53 PM, Finn Bjerke said:

After fixing a noisy suspension using the hidden screws next to pistons the wheel was perfect. Then I took power off now in order to xharge wheel, the display is now dead, no frontlight and app says, driver board error.

What can I do? Screenshot_20230703_224531_INMOTION.thumb.jpg.fed3473279cd868caa048380d047dea8.jpg

I had a similar error with mine...without tempering anything 😳 I just reset it and it turn on normally....

...Until now : every time I turn it on after a while, the error pop again (so I reset it and it get back to normal). I suppose it’s not wise to ride it while «in abnormal condition» even if it balance itself ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RValiasRV said:

I had a similar error with mine...without tempering anything 😳 I just reset it and it turn on normally....

...Until now : every time I turn it on after a while, the error pop again (so I reset it and it get back to normal). I suppose it’s not wise to ride it while «in abnormal condition» even if it balance itself ?

What did your dealer or Inmotion Support say about it?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

here ya go, i figured it out.

4E9EF325-0BD3-43A3-9974-7BF75099FF53.thumb.png.c658be524732b16fdff450a4255d28cb.png

got the same message today and black display. 

here's the problem and the solution. the weather just changed down here. my wheels are stored outside in keter boxes(garbage can boxes). very nice and dry. but these cold nights, and then warm moist days makes for rampant condensation. when i had the v13 in the shipping container with me, just the cold nights and then warm air would make the v13 sweat profusely. so i started covering the wheels with garbage bags and putting in silica packs to absorb moisture. and then, to add to the problem, although i do love them, the way the wheel sits on the kickstand promotes water getting into those circuits where the charge ports are. so no, not very water proofed at all, when condensation will render ur wheel useless. i figure by inserting the charger, it burns off the condensation causing the problem. my dealer neltrek has gone out of business, but i wouldn't be sending it back for repairs anyway. i'll have to change this leaking tire neltrek installed someday, and when i do, i'll go over the entire wheel and fix what inmotion is obviously incapable of. although my new one stored identically, didn't have this problem. if inmotion would swap me straight up for my version one for whatever version this last one is, i'd do it in a heartbeat. 

if condensation is causing this, and i bet money it is, what about riding in rain. that board must get soaked.

On 10/21/2023 at 1:12 AM, novazeus said:

if condensation is causing this, and i bet money it is, what about riding in rain. that board must get soaked.

Condensation is quite a different matter to waterproofing. Even a perfectly sealed waterproof container gets condensation in the cold. I don’t think the main board cavity could even be perfectly sealed since the board heats up which expands the air inside.

I have no idea what the solution could be, or what causes this one wheel to have the issue. If I’d have a wheel that I’d suspect from suffering from the issue of your theory, I’d probably look where the water was going and seal all electrical contacts from that area with silicone.

What’s confusing is that you say Inmotion to be “obviously” incapable of fixing the issue, but then you have a newer V13 right next to it that doesn’t seem to suffer from the same issue. I suppose you’re just angry about it then, which is understandable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Condensation is quite a different matter to waterproofing. Even a perfectly sealed waterproof container gets condensation in the cold. I don’t think the main board cavity could even be perfectly sealed since the board heats up which expands the air inside.

I have no idea what the solution could be, or what causes this one wheel to have the issue. If I’d have a wheel that I’d suspect from suffering from the issue of your theory, I’d probably look where the water was going and seal all electrical contacts from that area with silicone.

What’s confusing is that you say Inmotion to be “obviously” incapable of fixing the issue, but then you have a newer V13 right next to it that doesn’t seem to suffer from the same issue. I suppose you’re just angry about it then, which is understandable.

yeah humidity in florida is a real problem, go figure. my phone and my tools don't get condensation in their electronics. in fact this wheel is the only electronic device i own that is affected by condensation. 

here's the reason why. there are cooling fins located at the top of the wheel. they get cool and then warm moist air hits them and since the wheel is on the kickstand, the condensation just drips into this rear board. a vertical stand would eliminate the problem. but not from riding in wet conditions.

a watch properly sealed, "waterproof" does not get condensation under the crystal. a perfectly sealed container can't get condensation because no warm moist air can get inside. it's called humidity, and florida is king.

old wheel.

E9D0F191-4BFC-4C62-AE30-8CB908F26285.png.f8cae12bbf621f3d9e7623e7579f150c.png

new wheel. btw, i think the new wheel will do the same if i don't bag them. and it seems i'm not the only one getting this error.

B3E9E42F-8CAA-4555-B6F8-3026546A8185.png.37c2751c403d6fa1fd30ee15b87a4e1d.png

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Even broader perspective: I live in an area of extremely high salt-air. Normal fasteners, hardware indoors and out, etc., don't work. Thing have to be designed for "Marine environments."

But it isn't fair to expect everything to be manufactured to meet the extreme needs of my location. I adapt and do the best I can to corrosion-proof everything. 

Florida has it's own particular "harshnesses" that InMotion can't possibly engineer for. The description of @novazeus's environment sounds like the exact opposite of what is "good" for electronics. I hope he gets it worked out.

• Like 2

i'm sure everybody saw this! it's not condensation getting in the electronics and causing the problem, 

listen closely, it's the condensation that accumulates on the cooling fins that eventually turns into water and drips, drips, drips, on the obviously non-water proof circuit board where the charge adapters are. because the kickstand makes for a perfect storm. a vertical stand would solve the problem. also bagging the wheels will. when i take it apart to properly mount the michelin, without leaking, i'll go thru the entire wheel and do like what @Punxatawneyjoe did. 

saturday, after a cold friday night, the problem showed itself. i cleared the problem by hooking up the charger. the next day, same thing. cleared the error, set the wheel back on it's kickstand, and rode my new one a bit. came back, and the problem came back. cleared it again and rode it more. i just rode all my wheels(def unloading the s18, little wheels just don't do it for me), and trust me, when it comes to wheels and electronics, there is no bigger chicken than me, so for me to blast down my road 50 miles, i must be 99.97% sure i've found the problem. it works just fine. u either keep ur wheels in a climatically controlled room(fire rated preferably) or keep them outside in a keter box wrapped in a garbage bag and a couple of big dessicant pouches for good measure. 

take ur v13 and spray water on that board and tell me what happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

it's the condensation that accumulates on the cooling fins

That sucks, i wonder if you could seal the keeter boxes with a gasket and use a rechargeable dehumidifier in them. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Dehumidifier-Afloia-Rechargeable-Cordless-Dehumidifiers/dp/B08Z7WXYQT/ref=sr_1_1?

Maybe charge it up on the solar during the day?

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

That sucks, i wonder if you could seal the keeter boxes with a gasket and use a rechargeable dehumidifier in them. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Dehumidifier-Afloia-Rechargeable-Cordless-Dehumidifiers/dp/B08Z7WXYQT/ref=sr_1_1?

Maybe charge it up on the solar during the day?

dehumidifiers are nothing more than air conditioners. push warm moist air past cooling fins that condense the water on the fins. takes massive amounts of energy to push refrigerant compressors. 

that board u plastered up in the back of ur v13 with hot glue and dielectric grease slather all over, probably would repel the drips coming off the cooling fins. it's getting down to 64 tn, so that isn't cold enough for the air to condense on the cooling fins. 50ish seems to be when it sweats. just putting a giant garbage bag over them works really well. it's nbd. i just saw this omg response from moderators on how could such an expensive wheel show a fault like that, and probably unsafe to ride, oh my!

i'm just here to tell u my theory of what is causing this error. 

btw, the keter boxes are excellent and stay completely dry. the wheels would have to be stored in a vacuum to prevent condensation forming on the wheel in cold weather. the water is in the air. it's called humidity. u know how when the yankees fly south for the winter and can't breathe, it's the humidity. 72% now 74 degrees.

72% humidity is considered "wet"!

trust me, i'm not happy i got that error message 3 times, and each time had to start my generator to fire up the charger, to reset the wheel.

i'm sure enough in my theory to ride it without worry. 

haha, i looked at the amazon thing, nope, this is florida. swamps etc. 

a heater would work, but screw the wheels, i'm freezing and won't run electric heat. do teslas have to stay in a climatically controlled garage so they don't condensate and drip water on electronics?

u could have ur wheel inside a nice cold restaurant and bar, then go outside and park it, that would be enough for condensation to occur. same on the outside of a beer mug or iced tea glass. why we have coasters. the glass isn't leaking, it's condensation. they obviously don't have condensation in china or they would waterproof their boards better. esp the ones directly under the cooling fins when on it's kickstand.

Edited by novazeus

i thought about just rolling up a bath towel and sticking it in there while in storage. 

u would leave it hanging out so no chance of leaving it in there. 

but the garbage bags do work really well. keeps the lizards out. no rats thank goodness. as long as the tree huggers insist on soy based insulators, ie food for mice, squirrels, rats etc, all electronics are at peril. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2023 at 5:58 AM, Finn Bjerke said:

Thx for good info ppl. Im EUC addicted so I have to have several wheels, so far V11 and Sherman S are much more stable than KS -s22 and Inmotion V13.  V13 is totally overpriced but its fast as h***. Useless for off road imho...

I have had 3 V11s die on me and I have 10000 miles on a KS S22.