Where is the gyroscope on an EUC (specifically the KS16X)?

BKW

I know nothing about gyroscopes so this is where my research begins...

1. Where is the gyroscope located on an EUC in general?
  2. What does it look like?
  3. How can I know if it's bad?
  4. More specifically, where is it located on the KS16X?

I'm asking because I recently had a weird thing happen to my KS16X, which you can read here if you're inclined:

The gyrometer is a small solid state (= no moving parts) computer chip on the board somewhere. More or less the same thing a phone uses to detect its orientation. Just a small chip.

Here's a picture of the 16X board. It must be one of those tiny chips with the silver contact legs that are all over the board (no idea which one). It's not separate from the board, and if it fails (very unlikely, I would reckon) you need a new board.

Kingsong-16X-mainboard-e-RIDES.COM_.jpeg

I'd ask your seller about this kind of error. In the end, a EUC only has so many parts, so I expect your issue to be a board failure (what else?). Some component on the board fried/failed, gyro or not doesn't matter. You could try a firmware downgrade/upgrade to see if that changes anything, but usually weird behavior issues tend to end up being a failed board.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Thanks 1

Based on a little gurgle search, i would guess, the gyro chip is located in the red circle.  But this is just informative, no help.  Change the board.

aAnnotation 2023-06-27 135755.jpg

Annotation 2023-06-27 135755.jpg

Based on a little gurgle search, i would guess, the gyro chip is located in the red circle.  But this is just informative, no help.  Change the board.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Robse said:

Based on a little gurgle search, i would guess, the gyro chip is located in the red circle.

The PCB marked by the red circle is the bluetooth module - one sees the PCB antenna on the one side.

The gyroscope is fixed on the main PCB and once was some MPU6050 - likely the IC name still starts with MPU ?

3 hours ago, BKW said:

I just experienced this myself. My wheel was on, standing still, and out of nowhere it started beeping and saying "warning! overpowered!" and kept beeping so I turned it off.

I don't see any relation between an overpower warning and a gyroscope fault? The wheel still balances?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chriull said:

I don't see any relation between an overpower warning and a gyroscope fault?

Me neither. Older KingSongs had the rare possibility of suddenly losing their serial number, which resulted in this exact error. In turn, I have never heard of an EUC failure that would’ve been sourced to the gyro chip.

IIRC, a fault in the motor or hall sensors or their cables and connectors can result in a similar error.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

The gyrometer is a small solid state (= no moving parts) computer chip on the board somewhere. More or less the same thing a phone uses to detect its orientation. Just a small chip.

Exactly. I'ts marked with the blue arrow on the picture below:

Kingsong-16X-mainboard-e-RIDES.COM_.thumb.jpeg.40aa71936d6591abfa8d24a00500fc21.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Exactly. I'ts marked with the blue arrow on the picture below:

Kingsong-16X-mainboard-e-RIDES.COM_.thumb.jpeg.40aa71936d6591abfa8d24a00500fc21.jpeg

that tiny flimsy little piece of... eh.. sophisticated chip is what's keeping us from face planting?!. Holy crap 😂😁

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Robse said:

that tiny flimsy little piece of... eh.. sophisticated chip is what's keeping us from face planting?!. Holy crap 😂😁

I have been calling EUC magic all the time.. The modern wizard broom.